Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 11:45 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,294,908 times

Advertisements

i got my tint done yesterday! I went with the Solar Guard......they did a GREAT job! 3M was more expensive but the guy told me that they're essentially the same quality. he said he could easily say 3M was better and charge me 75 bucks more but really didn't think 3M was any better than Solar Guard.
He did the whole car for 165 with a promise of me sending him customers! i sent him one today and another next week :-)

ps. "Josh u" is right. The guy told me that they don't use Metallic film because that interferes with GPS and phone signals.
thanks again....i'll post some pictures if you guys want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 12:25 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Well they all look good at first when installed by a competent installer. The question is how will it look in three years or so. But glad you're enjoying it. Your installer could be right abounthe premium vs benefit though.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Well they all look good at first when installed by a competent installer. The question is how will it look in three years or so. But glad you're enjoying it. Your installer could be right about the premium vs benefit though.
yeah, i understand....but he said that he has life time warranty on all of them for everything (bubbles, fading, purple coloring, peeling, etc........everything)

Old 07-08-2011, 01:53 PM

538 posts, read 1,521,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
The guy told me that they don't use Metallic film because that interferes with GPS and phone signals
What's wrong with that???? The way people drive when they are on their phones or playing with their GPS...what's wrong with them being interfered with?

Old 07-08-2011, 05:06 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,676,902 times
3M here, had it on several cars, never any problem.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonata36 View Post
What's wrong with that???? The way people drive when they are on their phones or playing with their GPS...what's wrong with them being interfered with?
are you seriously asking this question?
what's the point of having a GPS if you can't use it properly when you want to get from A to B? what about for those who don't 'play' with their GPS and just listen and watch for directions? huh? well?

Old 07-11-2011, 11:11 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
My vehicles have had tinted windows for well over five years. None have 3M films - the top-rated shop in Austin I use generally installs SolarGuard. In hot Texas sun and temperatures, the film on my vehicles is in original condition (over six years now).

3M may be a fine product, but I am unconvinced it is inherently better than Solarguard.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:06 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,886,868 times
Just got my car tinted last week.

I paid $173 out the door for 20%. I believe the brand is Suntek. It has a lifetime warranty. Not sure why you would pay more if they offer the warranty.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:15 PM

703 posts, read 2,942,012 times
We're thinking about getting some aftermarket tinting done on our car in anticipation of the arrival of our baby (basically to reduce sun light in the face as much as possible) and started looking into all the various state laws and regulations on tint limits. Little did we know, the limits are ALL over the place especially in the states that we're most likely to be driving in (not to mention exemptions that applies specifically to SUVs and trucks, but not regular passenger sedans and coupes).

For example, the tint limits for front passenger windows range anywhere from 35% in MD and VA to 50% in DC to 70% in PA and NY! My question is, has anyone been pulled over and ticketed for illegal tints while driving through another state when the tints are actually legal in your home/registered state?

Old 07-11-2011, 04:04 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofan View Post
We're thinking about getting some aftermarket tinting done on our car in anticipation of the arrival of our baby (basically to reduce sun light in the face as much as possible) and started looking into all the various state laws and regulations on tint limits. Little did we know, the limits are ALL over the place especially in the states that we're most likely to be driving in (not to mention exemptions that applies specifically to SUVs and trucks, but not regular passenger sedans and coupes).

For example, the tint limits for front passenger windows range anywhere from 35% in MD and VA to 50% in DC to 70% in PA and NY! My question is, has anyone been pulled over and ticketed for illegal tints while driving through another state when the tints are actually legal in your home/registered state?
If you are driving through a state, then you won't be ticketed for having tint that exceeds allowed amounts in that state. It would be ludicrous for a state to do that.

If you move to another state though - you will be subject to the laws in your new home state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive