Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 02:54 AM

243 posts, read 547,603 times

Advertisements

Your scenario is not hypothetical to me as I'm looking at the exact budget and brands. My choice would be the Infiniti G35/37 Coupe. Good performance, I dig the styling, and it's fun to drive. Solid and sticks to the road.

The Lexus lineup just doesn't excite me. My current car is an SC400, which I LOVE, but the cars out now just lack the exterior styling and performance I'm looking for.

The Acura TL is full of nice tech like other Japanese luxury vehicles, my coworker has one and I've driven it extensively. One thing to note, it has a HORRID turning radius. Makes driving in LA traffic a real pain when you can't make a quick U-turn onto narrow streets. I don't mind FWD cars (my first was an Acura Integra) but the TL turns like a ship. I couldn't find the turning radius stats online, but the TL feels like it turns worse than my brother's Accord. Search the Acura TL forums for "turning radius" and it's one of the most common complaints about the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 03:37 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarlm View Post
The Acura TL is full of nice tech like other Japanese luxury vehicles, my coworker has one and I've driven it extensively. One thing to note, it has a HORRID turning radius. Makes driving in LA traffic a real pain when you can't make a quick U-turn onto narrow streets. I don't mind FWD cars (my first was an Acura Integra) but the TL turns like a ship. I couldn't find the turning radius stats online, but the TL feels like it turns worse than my brother's Accord. Search the Acura TL forums for "turning radius" and it's one of the most common complaints about the car.
Very true about the turning circle.
An '08 TL has a 39.7 foot turning circle. My much larger '95 Lincoln Town Car has a 40.0 foot turning circle.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:44 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
The Infiniti M35 is a better choice than the Lexus ES if you enjoy driving. The ES is a cushy car, but is also sloppy handling and FWD. The M35 is much firmer, RWD, and has an equally nice interior. The G35/G37 is very nice, but it is rather tight inside in comparison.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:59 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times
G37

Old 07-11-2011, 08:23 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,534,516 times
IS 350 with the Lexus F-sport parts....full warranty if installed by the dealer....the biggest minus is the small backseat, looks great, faster than the others, more luxurious, better built, handles just as good with the panache and dealer service Lexus is known for.

Another choice, amazingly the Lexus GS 450h is under 30 grand, a 340hp hybrid! Biggest issue is the small trunk due to the battery, otherwise what a great looking car inside and out with more space than the IS.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:25 PM

75 posts, read 428,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Another choice, amazingly the Lexus GS 450h is under 30 grand, a 340hp hybrid! Biggest issue is the small trunk due to the battery, otherwise what a great looking car inside and out with more space than the IS.
Actually, if I had the money for a GS 450h, I would buy it in a heartbeat. New or used.
The only 450h for sale in my area is a 2007 for $27,500. I would snatch that up quickly if it didn't have black leather.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:35 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker19 View Post
Hypothetical scenario:
You have cash and a car worth about a total of $18,000 and a budget of about $28,000. You are going to use the money as a down payment on a used 2007+ Lexus, Acura, or Infiniti. Which brand and model would you pick and why?
Brand: Lexus.

Reason: Voice of experience.

Second choice: Acura

Disclaimer: You will probably do fine with any of them.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:17 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Acura TL, Lexus IS, Toyota Avalon.

The last TL was a pretty nice car and since it's predominantly bought by people who just want a luxury badge it's a good value now that the hideous replacement has arrived. Not a real luxury car, but near-luxury with luxury badge at near-luxury price. The IS if you care more about how it drives, also a good value so long as you don't care about ride quality or driving a four door coupe with a useless (for a coupe) back seat.

The G35/37... not a fan of stretching into an older luxury car. You could pick up the sedan with its Hyundai Accent quality interior for a reasonable price. But that has a Hyundai Accent interior and looks retarded. It's also huge compared with the likes of the IS which limits the fun factor although, for it's size, it's a far better drivers car.

If I wanted an actual Luxury car it would between the Genesis, preferably the V8 model or the 6 with Tech and Premium packages which are hard to come by since the V8 is only $2,000 more, or the Lexus GS although finding on '07 up might be difficult. I wouldn't ever consider the Lexus Camry aka ES. Get an Avalon. It's much nicer than the Camry.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:56 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
I would overwhelmingly pick the Lexus...without hesitation. I own a GS and and I've had it for 8 years now. During that time, I don't believe that I've spent more than $2K in maintenance. It has given me no trouble, and the ride is smooth. They are beautiful cars. The styling may not suit some, but they look like quiet quality.

There are those who swear by the Infinitis, but I've never owned one. I once owned a Honda Accord and the Acura line didn't impress me. I'd go with the Lexus.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:28 AM

75 posts, read 428,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I would overwhelmingly pick the Lexus...without hesitation. I own a GS and and I've had it for 8 years now. During that time, I don't believe that I've spent more than $2K in maintenance. It has given me no trouble, and the ride is smooth. They are beautiful cars. The styling may not suit some, but they look like quiet quality.
With that, I'm pretty convinced on what I want to buy. Although I would kill for a GS, I've done some looking at Craigslist, and a CPO 2008 Lexus ES for $30,000 sounds like the ticket.
Thank you everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive