Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 08:54 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
dealers badges definitely come off (as well as license plate frames that have dealer names on them). I also will de-badge vehicles if it makes it look more 'balanced'. I had an e46 M3 and de-badged the trunk so it just has the Roundel in the center. Currently, I have a STI that is also de-badged so it just has the Subaru emblem on the back.

It also helps when you wash/wax the car... no snagging of the wash mitt/towels.
good point. not to mention capturing water which can lead to rust, as well as being hard to wax areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 08:27 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
Why would you wanna do that!? It's not about advertising. It's about representing the company that (hopefully) makes good cars.

I went as far to customize (spent several days doing it and years of trial and error) to create this emblem...Which unfortunently I had to pull off my wrecked vehicle

In addition, debadging something makes it look 'bootleg' and 'generic'. Would you pull the Nike sign off your shoes? Sony off your TV? Blackberry off your phone?
[IMG]//www.city-data.com/forum/
Holy bling!! I want put that on my beat up '01 Corolla just for the ridiculous juicy irony of it.

Anyway I stopped caring about brand names in high school (which was in the early 90's). For me generic is no better or worse as long as the quality is the same, and I'm not naive enough to believe a brand name automatically means a more quality product.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:33 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Well, I bought a new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited last week and I debadged it the day after I got it. I even took the corny "Trail Rated" badge off and it looks awesome...the look reminds me of the Jeep J8; plain, functional and business oriented.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:35 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
This thread made me really think about this as I was driving. I can honestly say I don't think I have seen one car where I thought the badging was over the top. It just looks normal.

I will agree though that I defnitely don't like when the dealer puts their advertising on the car. Looks tacky to me.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:56 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,139,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I used to have a Grand Marquis. I took the "rquis" off the emblem on the truck so it said "GrandMa." Which I thought was fitting given demographic that usually drives the Grand Marquis.
That is great!

Really it is either a case of status and/or advertising. Granted there are some people who are just going to know a car by name and not the body style. Some people might want a clean shaved look on their car, and others might not want people to automatically know they're driving a Toyota or some other econobox.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:05 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
I like having the badges on my Mustang, especially when some youngster looks at me and thinks,what is that old fart doing driving a 5.0

Last edited by PDD; 07-26-2011 at 03:36 PM..

Old 07-27-2011, 05:44 AM

191 posts, read 357,325 times
I got in a car accident and my badge just feel off after getting out the car to access the damage, so I'm thinking when my car gets taken in for repair ill tell them to leave the emblem off.[/SIZE]

Old 07-27-2011, 06:32 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,151,341 times
Whenever I see a car with no badges on the trunk I think it was in a rear end collision and the body shop didn't replace the badges.

Having said that, I think it looks ok on the right car. What I don't get are people that put Nissan badges on their Infiniti or Toyota badges on their Lexus. To each his own.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:55 AM

538 posts, read 1,521,889 times
I only de-badged a car once because the badges kept falling off.

You can always "re-badge" a car, too. The other day I saw a late-80s Jaguar XJ12 with all the Jag badges removed and HUGE Ferrari stickers on the wheel wells and trunk. It was so hideous. It was so bad that I almost considered risking my life to take photos of it while driving, but I realized that getting my kids home safely was more important than anything, obviously.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:04 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,474,340 times
Yeah we de-badged just the dealership logo. I don't want to be a rolling advertisement for that dealership. But as far as the Ford badges on the car, I didn't really care and left them on. We bought a Saturn Vue two years ago (now traded in and junked) and the person we bought it from had de-badged it and put just a red logo on the front face of the car. It didn't look bad, and I knew what SUV it was right away. Also knocked the price down a bit, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive