Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 11:28 PM

339 posts, read 1,287,241 times

Advertisements

My car was totalled out 2 Wednesdays ago by a careless semi driver on the highway while I was out of town.

Fast forward, I still don't have a vehicle and the process of waiting 6 days in hotels out of state thinking the insurance would be putting me in a rental (progressive kept saying, "well we are just waiting to get a statement from the driver and can't put you in a rental until then) then only to find out on day 5 that it was going to be transferred to a commercial policy and then trying to get home without a car costed so much money out of my pocket (took greyhound half way, but then had to fly the rest because of my neck injury sitting on the bus for 12 hours was KILLING me) and now I can't work or do anything or even get groceries without my car because $1600 was all spent within a matter of 2 weeks. $1,600 that was supposed to had been used to pay all my bills and groceries at home. I can't even ****ing do it

Last time I spoke to them the insurance was transferred from a personal policy insurance to a commercial policy insurance. And because of that it took a bit longer. And the commercial policy is using the excuse of having to wait for the police report to prove fault. Which is ****ing bull****!

That company hasn't done a damn thing yet. They haven't looked at the car, haven't put me in a rental and it's going on 2 weeks. They just keep saying, "well we ordered the police report and waiting for that." But I just spoke to the state trooper in Washington and he just told me that the semi driver was at fault because she did an improper lane change and ran into me.

They expect me to keep waiting around for the report to come in. Because of this I lost nearly all the money while I was working out of town, and don't have a vehicle to get to work with to make up for the loss. I emailed them today and left a voice message for them to get back with me by the next business day.

I was covered by liability which is why the option to get something done on my end isn't possible. I been driving the same car for 5 years and never got into an accident...but because some sleepy ***** was in a hurry to deliver a load I'm all ****ed up. It's like for awhile liability was sufficient but nobody knows how to drive these days and people follow so damn closely to each other that I'm just going to have to get full coverage on my next car because people are idiots.

Any way to speed up the process of settling the property damage part of the claim? Anyone here familiar with stuff like that? I don't want to have to continue waiting for police report which could take 2-4 weeks to process.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 07-24-2011 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: Done deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 04:07 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Talk to your agent.

He should be able to lite a fire under them (If you have a good one)

-Yes, I get that you are talking about the OTHER insurance company... but that's part of what the agent is for.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:18 AM

448 posts, read 1,055,104 times
sorry about your car. you might threaten em with your laywer that might move em!! this **** frosts my arse not saying it's your fault after all he did the improper lane change. he might have been a newbie to but is he was tired like you said then his arse should have been in a rest area or a truck stop napping or taking his mandatory 10 hr break!

Old 07-24-2011, 06:47 AM

700 posts, read 1,646,275 times
Having been a commercial driver and a safety manager for a commercial company. It is not always what one expects. Things can move a different rates. Most larger companies are self insured and only use insurance companies to process paperwork.
1. Was the driver of the other vehicle driving a semi or what? If so, the insurance falls under commercial. Period. There is no switching.
2. Was it a large national company or a small local?
3. You should be able to get a copy of the police report within a couple of days. The officer writes that. You can get for a few dollars. As for fault. Unless the officer saw it. It is his opinion. That's all. It is for a judge to decide.
4. As for a drivers statement. It should be in the officers report. An after the fact statement can be used in court.
4. What is your insurance doing? Seems to me they have dropped the ball some.
5. You do have some burden here. The other company is going to wait till they have to start paying. The fact that you are waiting for a rental is not on them. It is on you. Just like doctor bills and any other expenses incurred. They pay at the end. It is not like an open check book.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:58 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
I would have rented a car the first day and not stuck around a hotel in another town. Let the insurance handle it, you will be reimbursed for the car if you are in the right. Paying for a hotel room every day has to be expensive and terribly inconvienent.
Rent a car, go about your business and forget about it, it may take months to straighten this all out.
Start by screaming at your insurance guy, who you paid to handle this exact situation. If you have a good agent, he will tell you the same thing, rent a car and go home, we'll handle this.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:22 PM

Reservation Summary

Location Details change
Pick Up Location DENVER INTL ARPT
DENVER, CO 80249
Tel.: (303) 342-7350

Dates & Times change
Pick Up Jul 25, 2011 @ Noon
Return Aug 1, 2011 @ Noon
Vehicle Class
(not yet chosen)
Renter's Age change
21 to 24

Renter's Information
(not yet entered)

Start over
Pick a Vehicle:
12 of 18 Vehicle Classes to choose from.
Vehicle Class Description Price Quote
Additional surcharges, local taxes, etc. may apply.

Economy

see details Chevy Aveo or similar $ 600.00 USD / week
$ 914.60 USD Total
see details Select Compact

see details Nissan Versa, Toyota Yaris or similar $ 531.15 USD / week
$ 827.89 USD Total
see details Select Intermediate

see details Toyota Corolla, Nissan Sentra or similar $ 536.14 USD / week
$ 834.17 USD Total
see details Select Standard

see details Ford Fusion or similar $ 541.14 USD / week
$ 840.47 USD Total
see details Select Full Size

see details Chevy Impala, Nissan Altima, Dodge Charger or similar $ 541.14 USD / week
$ 840.47 USD Total
see details Select Premium

see details Buick Regal or similar Age Restrictions Apply
Luxury

see details Cadillac DTS, Lincoln Towncar or similar Age Restrictions Apply
Minivan

see details Chrysler Town and Country, Dodge Grand Caravan or similar Age Restrictions Apply
Intermediate SUV

see details Ford Escape, Jeep Liberty or similar Age Restrictions Apply
Standard SUV

see details Jeep Grand Cherokee, or similar Age Restrictions Apply
Large SUV

see details GMC Yukon, Chevy Tahoe, Ford Expedition, or similar Age Restrictions Apply
Pickup Truck

see details Chevy Colorado, Dodge Dakota or similar Age Restrictions Apply
Large Pickup

see details Chevy Silverado, Ram 1500 Crew Cab, or similar Age Restrictions Apply
Cargo Van

see details GM Express, Ford Econoline or similar Age Restrictions Apply
12 Passenger Van

see details Chevrolet Express, Ford Econoline or similar Not
available.
15 Passenger Van

see details Chevrolet Express, Ford Econoline or similar Age Restrictions Apply
Premium SUV

see details Chevy Suburban, Ford Expedition XL or similar Age Restrictions Apply
Convertible

see details Ford Mustang or similar Age Restrictions Apply

Old 07-24-2011, 10:26 PM

Vehicle Details

Selected Vehicle Economy

Chevy Aveo or similar
2 or 4 doors
Automatic Transmission
Air Conditioning
AM/FM CD Player

View other Vehicle Classes:
<< | All Classes | >> Mileage Restrictions This vehicle comes with unlimited mileage. Your Dates and Times Start: Jul 25, 2011,Noon End: Aug 1, 2011,Noon Price Quote 1 Week @
$ 600.00 USD $ 600.00 USD Drop Charge $ 0.00 USD YOUNG RENTER FEE $ 105.00 USD FACILITY USE FEE 1.60/DAY $ 11.20 USD CONCESSION RECOUP FEE 11.11 PCT $ 78.33 USD CO ROAD SAFETY PROGRAM FEE 2/DAY $ 14.00 USD SALES TAX $ 106.07 USD * Total Estimated
Charges $ 914.60 USD Additional surcharges, local taxes, etc. may apply.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:27 PM

Where the **** am I supposed to get $914.00 to rent this car for 2 weeks until the trucking company figures out that 1 of their stupid drivers ran into me

That's why they need to ****ing pay up god dammit!

On top of that I don't have a ****ing credit card!

Old 07-24-2011, 10:34 PM

Your Car

Compact

2 or 4-Door/Automatic/Air
Nissan Versa
or similar

Pickup: Denver Intl Arpt/Shuttle (DENT71)
24530 East 78th Ave
Denver , CO 80249
US
Monday, July 25, 2011
12:00 PM Dropoff: Denver Intl Arpt/Shuttle (DENT71)
24530 East 78th Ave
Denver , CO 80249
US
Monday, August 1, 2011
12:00 PM
Estimated Total = $1,025.93 USD

Need more information? Click on individual items for details or the icon for details by section.

* Required Fields
Step 3: Select rental options and calculate total

Base Rate - Compact (USD)
(1) Time & Distance ($473.56/Week) $473.56 Inclusive Rate Items Guaranteed Base Rate Included Unlimited Miles Included
For information on coverage products, ex:Collision Damage Waiver(CDW) click here
Subtotal $473.56 Primary Driver Of age primary driver (25 or older)
Underage primary driver (age 21 - 24) ($25.00/day) $175.00
For Information on age requirements and exceptions, click here. Subtotal $175.00
Additional Drivers Rentals that require Additional Drivers must be completed at the Alamo counter,
or via Online Check-In or Save Time.
Additional Items
Booster Seat ($9.99/Day; $49.95/Max Amt) $0.00

Greenhouse Gas Emissions Offset ($1.25/Rental) $0.00

Infant Seat ($9.99/Day; $49.95/Max Amt) $0.00

Child/toddler Seat ($9.99/Day; $49.95/Max Amt) $0.00

Gps Navigation Device ($11.99/Day; $69.65/Week) $0.00

Ski Rack ($10.99/Day; $999.99/Max Amt) $0.00
Collision Damage Waiver Full ($22.99/Day) $160.93
Extended Protection ($12.95/Day) $0.00
Roadside Plus ($6.99/Day) $0.00
Return Fuel at any level ($3.73/gal) $0.00
No refund will be given for unused fuel.
The total upfront fuel charge reflected is an estimate based on
the current prices and average tank size for the car class reserved.
This charge may change at time of rental. Subtotal $160.93
Taxes, Surcharges and Fees Facility Use Fee 1.60/day $11.20
Concession Recoup Fee 11.11 % $72.06
Co Road Safety Program Fee 2/day $14.00
Sales Tax (13.350%) $119.18
Subtotal $216.44

Calculate Estimated Total Estimated Total $1,025.93
Estimated charges are confirmed based on the information you have provided; only taxes, fees, and surcharges are subject to change.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:40 PM

OOPs, I forgot that I'm behind on internet, phone, rent is due in 1 week, I have a court date 900 miles away on the 1st...no groceries. All because after the accident I spent over $700 thinking this ****ing insurance company would get me a rental car so I can get back home which was 1,500 miles from where the accident happend (we're just waiting for the insured to contact us and give a statement) only to switch it to a different commercial policy. 6 days in a hotel, taxing all over town, and getting airfare 1 day ahead of time has made me poor ass broke!

But I'm going to happily go spend $1,000 to rent a car and not worry about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive