Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 03:59 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabronie View Post
... Here is what I'm talking about - KBB value is like 2.5k , look at the prices of actual cars on autotrader, they start above that ...
Insurance typically go with the NADA guide, but with enough retail ads, they will accept your rebuttal.

Two aspects ... an appraiser that listens to reason (ugh), and a body shop that's willing to negotiate between you and the insurance company.

More recently, I was rear ended at an off-ramp. The guy who hit me literally said "I thought you were going to run the [red] light."

Allstate (my insurance) wanted to total it ... State Farm (his insurance) was willing to listen to reason, as higher mileage or not, it is extremely hard to find a 1991 Volvo 740 station wagon, turbocharged AND stick shift, not to mention the overall condition of the car, so they increased the value. I didn't mind used OEM parts (vs. new knockoff), so the body shop worked the numbers (knocked almost $400 off on the parts/labor aspects) to keep the tab under the "total" threshold. Used tailgate, used bumper rebar, and new OEM bumper cover, and my car was repaired instead of totalled.

BTW, that next renewal, I was no longer with Allstate.

Last edited by Narfcake; 07-26-2011 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: Added comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 04:03 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
I had my Altima Rear ended...

Damage was more than the value. (Like this)

I got $2,200

Paid them $200 for the car.

Taped the trunk shut and drove it for another 40,000+ miles.

Best $200 I ever spent!

Old 07-26-2011, 04:05 PM

773 posts, read 2,631,387 times
Quote:
However I have ALL the records for the car since 1995, every oil change, every bit of maintenance, just did timing belt + brakes recently, it ran like a dream.
Normal maintenance costs are NEVER taken into account in insurance claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
If they write it off and pay you 2-3k they will most likely let you buy it back with a salvage title.
Yes, but they will subtract from that payment the salvage value of the car, plus any towing and storage fees they incur.

Some states won't issue a road license to a car with a salvage title unless the car undergoes a complete re-inspection which the owner must pay for. Check with your state's DMV.

You have my sympathy.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:06 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,872,464 times
About 15 years ago I totaled a Monte Carlo and bought it back. It never left my possession. A couple of days later I drove it to the ins co office and they inspected it there and declared it a total.

I originally paid 1200 for it, after the total the ins co gave me 1500, I then bought it back for 250 and drove it another 6 months and sold it for 1000. All it needed was the left quarter panel replaced.

There was no salvage title involved, just a normal title.

How To Buy Your Totaled Car And Repair It Yourself

"If you don’t want this to happen, you can let your claim adjuster know that you would like to keep the car. Your car insurance company will still have to pay you the actual cash value for your car minus the deductible you agreed to pay should you have to file a claim as well as the estimated amount the car insurance company would have gotten for the car had it been sold at an auction in a salvage yard. You will then be responsible for the repair of the car. The best thing to do if you are in this situation is to make your decision early on. If you choose not to keep your car after it has been totaled out and then change your mind, you will have a harder time trying to purchase your car from the auction than if you were to inform the car insurance company before they even get a chance to auction off your car."

Old 07-26-2011, 07:28 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,183,029 times
Pics added. The lil Teg did pretty good considering it was smashed by a Ram 1500, I've seen compacts fair much worse. I'm guessing since I saw her coming and went into neutral and took foot off my break, she essentially punted my car free wheeling. Such little damage to total the entire thing. Thanks for all the added info
Attached Thumbnails
Trying to Avoid writting car off (Just got in accident)-front.jpg   Trying to Avoid writting car off (Just got in accident)-side.jpg   Trying to Avoid writting car off (Just got in accident)-frontcloseup.jpg   Trying to Avoid writting car off (Just got in accident)-underhood.jpg  

Old 07-26-2011, 07:52 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,425 times
Quote:
Pics added. The lil Teg did pretty good considering it was smashed by a Ram 1500, I've seen compacts fair much worse. I'm guessing since I saw her coming and went into neutral and took foot off my break, she essentially punted my car free wheeling. Such little damage to total the entire thing. Thanks for all the added info
Having been in the auto body business for 34 yrs , now retired, my advice would be to demand that the Ins. company repair the vehicle plain and simple. And before everyone jumps me pls let me explain ! if it was your own Ins co. paying the bill then they have the right to save money and total the car ... But being that it is not your Insurance company but the one that did the damage to your car then they have to pay out of the liability side of the insurance policy , not the collision side and make you car back to the same condition as was before the collision , that's the difference. I just went thru the same thing . Sitting in the left turn lane with a green light to go when the truck coming from my left , ran the red light, hit 2 other cars coming south in my direction broad side then hit the front end of my truck ( 1989 P/u) doing $3,200 damage to it , the insurance co. State Farm wanted to total truck , stating value at $2,700 . When I argued that I was not going to accept them totaling it for the reason I stated here they conceded they were in fact obligated to repair the damages and cut me a check in the amount of the repair estimate. I had just finished spending $1,800 for new injectors and wasn't about to let it go.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Having been in the auto body business for 34 yrs , now retired, my advice would be to demand that the Ins. company repair the vehicle plain and simple. And before everyone jumps me pls let me explain ! if it was your own Ins co. paying the bill then they have the right to save money and total the car ... But being that it is not your Insurance company but the one that did the damage to your car then they have to pay out of the liability side of the insurance policy , not the collision side and make you car back to the same condition as was before the collision , that's the difference. I just went thru the same thing . Sitting in the left turn lane with a green light to go when the truck coming from my left , ran the red light, hit 2 other cars coming south in my direction broad side then hit the front end of my truck ( 1989 P/u) doing $3,200 damage to it , the insurance co. State Farm wanted to total truck , stating value at $2,700 . When I argued that I was not going to accept them totaling it for the reason I stated here they conceded they were in fact obligated to repair the damages and cut me a check in the amount of the repair estimate. I had just finished spending $1,800 for new injectors and wasn't about to let it go.
Awesome information, thanks a million !

Old 07-26-2011, 08:08 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
Quote:
Well, my neighbor just went to turn left, and turned WAAY left of center, driving directly into me waiting to turn right at the end of our street. She was in a Ram 1500 and put her drivers side front corner directly in the center of my hood of my poor Integra

My car was still running after being hit (was able to restart it to move off to side of road), no airbags deployed, pushed in/down front bumper, hood, and pushed in/down the radiator pretty good - it leaked out. Visual inspection tells me motor bay looks intact, suspension looks good. Damage seems limited to a new hood, radiator, front bumper, headlights .... but the thing is, the car blue books for $2.1-2.7k on KBB.

However I have ALL the records for the car since 1995, every oil change, every bit of maintenance, just did timing belt + brakes recently, it ran like a dream. I got over 40mpg on expressway and over 30 in the city. I'm on a limited income budget and TBH trying to find a car that I can afford that meets what I want ... I really don't want to look for a diamond in the rough again and I'm sure they will grossly undervalue the car when/if they try to cut a check.

I've never been involved in a claim before, she admitted full fault, her insurance (Progressive) is towing car to claims center to be looked over. Any advice as to what to expect would be greatly appreciated. I really really, really don't want the car to be a write off. If that's the route they want to take, can I fight it?
If you itemize deductions you can claim a casualty loss minus insurance paid, less $100, and it must be greater than 10% of your AGI. Doubt you will meet that critera.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:55 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Yeah, I planed on keeping the car until it completely died on its on accord - runs like a dream and I know it's history. There could be more physical dmg then my quick visual gave, we'll see I guess. I'm not overly concerned about a salvage tittle, as I said I planned on keeping the car for as long as possible.
That is one thing that really stinks about driving a good used car. You take great care of it and when it is wrecked, you don't get the proper compensation.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
That is one thing that really stinks about driving a good used car. You take great care of it and when it is wrecked, you don't get the proper compensation.
Yeah no doubt

I just heard back from them today. She acted like I was going to be excited to be offered $2.7k, and was extremely unprepared for any questions. I could not get an exact dollar amount for repairs, she just said "Says obvious write off, frame bent (which I personally find hard to believe, air bags did not go off, and I was in neutral when hit, sub 10mph, head on), bumper, headlights, radiator, etc - the stuff I talked about before. I requested to see the documents, because I really doubt it starts off with "Obvious write off", which is the exact same wording used by the person on the phone, before they even saw the damage. Or if it is, I'm doubting they really looked to see if the frame is bent. I think they just go, 15 years old, yup, toss it; Ugh so frustrating. Her emails are also akin to a text message from a 16 year old - completely unprofessional. Here is the entire email requesting my comparables -

here is my info
Please send me your Comparables

lol? Really? I just mailed off my list of "comparables" to prove the car is worth more. Wish me luck in getting $3.7k+, least then I can go get a new comparable car pronto. I had a trip planed, possible cross country drive on the 12th of this month - not so sure now. Not to mention I don't really want to go on a big road trip in a car I'm not sure is reliable

Last edited by Jabronie; 08-02-2011 at 06:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive