Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 06:59 PM

56 posts, read 412,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabronie View Post
Then mention them paying tax and registration on my replacement - this will be a determining factor if I choose to go WWIII on this or not.
They're not going to pay tax/registration on your replacement. What if you went out and bought a new Bentley? The tax/registration on my Aston Martin was almost $20k.

The amount they're offering you includes reimbursement for tax/registration you paid on the totaled car. That's what it will say in the fine print of the settlement statement you sign before they hand over the check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 07:10 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,183,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamikel View Post
They're not going to pay tax/registration on your replacement. What if you went out and bought a new Bentley? The tax/registration on my Aston Martin was almost $20k.

The amount they're offering you includes reimbursement for tax/registration you paid on the totaled car. That's what it will say in the fine print of the settlement statement you sign before they hand over the check.
Nope, they agreed to pay tax, on up to 3.5k, the amount of the reimbursement long as it's done with in 30 days. No luck on registration though.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Nope, they agreed to pay tax, on up to 3.5k, the amount of the reimbursement long as it's done with in 30 days. No luck on registration though.
Exactly what I said. They're paying you the amount of tax for your existing car ($3.5k).

Old 08-11-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Exactly what I said. They're paying you the amount of tax for your existing car ($3.5k).
Doh reading comprehension issue

Do I need to get the title notarized before I take it to the license bureau? Answer for Ohio " All signatures must be notarized." blah blah, one more thing to do lol.

Last edited by Jabronie; 08-11-2011 at 07:31 PM..

Old 08-11-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Doh reading comprehension issue

Do I need to get the title notarized before I take it to the license bureau? Answer for Ohio " All signatures must be notarized." blah blah, one more thing to do lol.
You're turning the car/title over to the insurance company? F them. They made you work for it, make them work for it. Why would you take the title to the license bureau? You're giving the car to the insurance company, not selling it to a buyer.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
You're turning the car/title over to the insurance company? F them. They made you work for it, make them work for it. Why would you take the title to the license bureau? You're giving the car to the insurance company, not selling it to a buyer.
Because the car I *just* bought at the bottom of page 5, needs to have the Michigan title, in my name, not the name of the person I bought it from? I don't think anyone noticed (least most) that I have bought a new car and pics are on pg5.

I'm done with Ins. companies, outside collecting my tax. This is so my new car can get registered under my name. Off to the bureau now

Old 08-12-2011, 09:15 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,949 times
Quote:
Got the 3.5k for the write off. Drove home this afternoon a Black '99 Civic SI (saw winter last year for the first time, even the under-body is mostly clean) with 90k miles, some small cosmetic stuff like a couple door dings, drives nice, suspension felt great, cost me $1k out of pocket - not too bad. I'm pretty happy, I had one of these brand new back in '99 - twas my first Honda. Come full circle after an RSX-S, S2000, Integra, back to the good ol lil SI

Has a DC header, which I don't like, sounds overly tin like and hallow - I have the stock in the trunk which I'll put back on.

Here is the story behind me buying this car over the last 24 hours; Been interesting. Thanks again all for the advice

Camping trip coming up, Interview set for the 24th, I'm in a much better place then I was 10 days ago
GREAT ! Good luck with your "NEW" used car, your new job and hope your life get's a little smother.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:25 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Quote:
Well, my neighbor just went to turn left, and turned WAAY left of center, driving directly into me waiting to turn right at the end of our street. She was in a Ram 1500 and put her drivers side front corner directly in the center of my hood of my poor Integra

My car was still running after being hit (was able to restart it to move off to side of road), no airbags deployed, pushed in/down front bumper, hood, and pushed in/down the radiator pretty good - it leaked out. Visual inspection tells me motor bay looks intact, suspension looks good. Damage seems limited to a new hood, radiator, front bumper, headlights .... but the thing is, the car blue books for $2.1-2.7k on KBB.

However I have ALL the records for the car since 1995, every oil change, every bit of maintenance, just did timing belt + brakes recently, it ran like a dream. I got over 40mpg on expressway and over 30 in the city. I'm on a limited income budget and TBH trying to find a car that I can afford that meets what I want ... I really don't want to look for a diamond in the rough again and I'm sure they will grossly undervalue the car when/if they try to cut a check.

I've never been involved in a claim before, she admitted full fault, her insurance (Progressive) is towing car to claims center to be looked over. Any advice as to what to expect would be greatly appreciated. I really really, really don't want the car to be a write off. If that's the route they want to take, can I fight it?
Haven't you had headaches or neck pain since the accident? When dealing with insurance companies that try to put the screws to you that is a tool that can be used. Not ethical? Probably not but is it ethical for an insurance company to offer a pittance on a vehicle that is in top notch condition?

GL2

Old 08-12-2011, 11:20 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Quote:
Haven't you had headaches or neck pain since the accident?
He wasn't in the car. It was parked...

Old 08-12-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
He wasn't in the car. It was parked...
No I was in it, I was sitting at a T, waiting to turn right, she turned left, 100% left of center and hit me. Now the car was not moving, like I said, I put in neutral, took foot off break and she punted me.

Too big of a karma believer here to fake injury on any level; Not my bag baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive