Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 02:21 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,373,512 times

Advertisements

I got on a green kick back in 2007 when I bought my Prius. I still love my Prius Touring, but here is the kicker. Learn from my mistakes. This vehicle comes with 195/55 r16 V87 tires. You can find tire speeds in H, but not when I was looking for tires. Guess what? These are performance tires and.... on a Prius of all things!! I have 46,789 miles and I am now on my 3rd set of tires. The Michelins I bought were, hands down, the worst tires in history, because of the roll factor (important - RLL) and other issues.

A side note - I have had Michelins on my cars for decades and they used to be excellent tires, but the last set have been a major disappointment. My Prius got about 17,000 miles and my 4Runner under 30,000.

So, I just put on Bridgestone ECOPIA - a newer tire designed just for the hybrid. I can only hope these will last a bit longer

My Michelin's cost over $800 and my ECOPIAs $570.61 -- pretty expensive if you ask me. Then comes the battery .... I don't even want to go there.

So, folks, if you want to buy a hybrid, check tire requirements and the battery first. Maybe buying a non-hybrid 25 mpg car will save you more money in the long run. And you won't have to worry about what your battery will do to the environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 03:06 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times
A quick look at tirerack shows 44 different tires in that size... buy something with a higher mileage rating next time. It may not be a low rolling resistance tire but there are plenty of choices.

BTW, I get more miles per set on true performance tires and a performance car driven aggressively... are you racing your Prius?

Old 08-29-2011, 03:33 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
You should consider tire size for any new car today. At one time tires came in an average size of 13, 14, or 15 inches. There are some cars that come from the factory with over 20 inch tires and can easily cost over $200 per tire.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:18 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
I thought the whole "green" fad was about saving the planet, not saving money

Old 08-29-2011, 04:24 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
For the OP - it is not reasonable to say anything particular about any brand. Michelin makes some great tires, and some very ordinary ones. That is true of almost all brands.

An H-rated tire is not a performance tire anymore. A long time ago the standard tire rating was S, and H was the next rating up. V, then Z, W, etc. are rated for higher speeds. A higher speed rating most of all is a heat rating. So the tire is less likely to fail when it gets hot (as it might if you drive fast).

As for the battery - what are you suggesting people check? Toyota warrants the battery for 8 years and 100,000 miles - even longer in California. You haven't replaced your battery yet have you? As for the battery and the environment - don't you know that Toyota recycles them?

Old 08-29-2011, 04:25 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Not the green the OP was worried about.
Just wait till he has to replace the bank of batteries.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:36 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,343,711 times
Tires are the only thing keeping a car on the road, hardly something to cheap out on. I'd be a little irritated if they only lasted me one year, but I'm pretty used to changing out at least one set every two-four years (probably 30-40k miles). All the safety features in the world won't help if the tires have no grip, so if there's one thing that has no budget on my cars, it's that.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:04 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post

A side note - I have had Michelins on my cars for decades and they used to be excellent tires, but the last set have been a major disappointment. My Prius got about 17,000 miles and my 4Runner under 30,000.
Damn, a new set of tires every year! How much pollution goes into making one set of tires disposing of them once their used up? Makes you wonder. And that is nothing compared to the battery. I'll stick with my Raptor, it probably pollutes the same but with more leg and head room

Old 08-29-2011, 09:14 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post

I'm not a 'Greenie', more of a Roosevelt conservationist:

But some of us want to do BOTH.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:15 AM

120 posts, read 671,772 times
maybe someone can set me straight here. Its my understanding that "high fuel efficency" tires with lower than normal rolling resistances ALSO have increased stopping distances compared to regular tires.

I don't know about you, but in an emergency I want to stop as soon as possible, and that would be worth the "fuel savings" these kind of tires might give you. In fact, I'd be a little concerned that most cars on the road, having normal tires, would be able to out brake me in all scenarios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive