Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you merge?
I wait until the lane ends 2 2.11%
I merge as soon as I can safely do so 59 62.11%
Depends on the traffic and design of the highway 34 35.79%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 12:48 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,200,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoCT View Post
Agreed. If you're in the right lane, speed up, slow down, or move over for merging traffic. It's not that hard.
It is if you're a truck towing something and there's cars/trucks next to you and/or behind you. When I'm towing the travel trailer I get all sorts of people that SHOULD be able to merge ahead of me if they just used their throttle pedals, because they come up the on ramp ahead of me, then SDLOW DOWN until they are almost next to me before even LOOKING over to see if they have a space. I often have no place to go, either sideways or speeding up/slowing down (and if I'm on a hill, I'm NOT going to slow down, as I'll lose all momentum).

If I'm on a 6-8 hour trip on the interstate, I spend half the time dealing with people that simply cannot merge properly when they HAVE the chance to. And becaeu I'm already going slowe than traffic I'm not just going to move to the inner or middle lanes and sit there so that I don't have to deal with mergers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 12:59 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,718,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
The absolute worst are the totally oblivious people that are traveling in the left lane and decide to move into the right lane at the exact point where people are trying to merge onto the highway. Are your freaking serious?
That was almost an addition to my previous post, but thought it was a whole other issue (that I also deal with everyday). The problem in general is people oblivious to everything, and simply being incompetent at driving.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:14 PM

15,395 posts, read 25,653,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Responsibility on the road is shared by all. The person merging needs room, and just because he/she is merging doesn't mean the person already on the lane shouldn't care. In fact, if possible, should move over and let people merge. If more people did that, there would be less traffic jams.
What are you saying here that I didn't say in my post? Where did I say they should not care?

Old 08-05-2011, 06:58 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,378,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I used to worry about merging but since I usually spend most of the time behind the wheel texting and doing twelve other things, I don't worry about it anymore. Nothing ever happens, traffic always makes room for you. In fact, I'm merging onto the freeway at this very minute and

Awsome

Old 08-05-2011, 08:39 PM

4,246 posts, read 11,983,569 times
When I get on the on ramp I floor it (since my car takes 30 seconds to get to 60mph dam near) to get to speed and cut it to the far left lane. I hate when people get on the on ramp and come to a stop because they refuse to use the GO PEDAL because a car is coming up on them. Or when they merge on the highway still going 40mph when they had 1,000 ft to get up to the flow of traffic yet refuse to.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:59 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,094,232 times
I look for an opening while still on the ramp and match traffic speed so I can seamlessly enter the flow of traffic. While using my turn signal.

I get so irritated by people who wander onto the freeway doing 45 mph, no turn signals, no sign that they're paying attention to what they're doing. Bonus negative points for then immediately wandering into the next lane at the same speed and staying there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive