Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 09:31 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times

Advertisements

How much money you looking to spend?

What is your driving needs?

Where do you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 02:02 AM

654 posts, read 3,456,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Just curious, when you responded to this thread did you type your response on your manual typewriter and mail it off to a friend who posted it on their computer?

I didn't think so. So why are you so anti electronics when it comes to your car?

I like older non electronic cars myself and they are easier to work on because of all the room under hood but just like the manual typewriter they just don't perform as well as the new latest cars.

500HP Corvettes getting 25+mMPG
or my 400HP Mustang getting 25MPG this is just not happening with older non electronic cars.

As somebody else pointed out the newer cars are much safer even though they don't have 2 tons of iron surrounding you.

Even the most outdated form of racing in this country (NASCAR) is finally dumping carbs.

I certainly admire all the older restored cars running around and the guys who keep them running but for me I'll have to stick with the new stuff.

I am not a fan of carbuerators myself because they require too much work to keep those going to avoid engine running problems. However with that said, I don't mind older cars myself due to the fact that they are easier to work on and its not a nightmare getting to certain parts when they need replacement.

Newer cars, while they have the modern safety features, can also be costly because of the expense for simple diagnostics and repairs. Then you have to consider all the specialized tools and such which are hard to find, plus you even have nonstandard parts (bolts or drain plugs) that only dealers or shops seem to have, just to where you are forced to take the car in to have it worked on. And electronics, while reliable for the most part but when something fails it can be a bear to get replaced. Alot of modern cars now you can't even check the tranny fluid due to the lack of the dipstick; you're forced to take that in to have it checked.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:43 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post
I am not a fan of carbuerators myself because they require too much work to keep those going to avoid engine running problems.
How much is too much work for you?

I've owned quite a few carbureted vehicles. While they don't hold a candle to fuel injection, I can honestly say pretty much all of them ran great without any major issues.

The only few I can recall that needed work to stay running were the ones with Holley carbs. And it was usually a cleaning of the bowls/seats and maybe the occasional power valve.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:01 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post
I am not a fan of carbuerators myself because they require too much work to keep those going to avoid engine running problems. However with that said, I don't mind older cars myself due to the fact that they are easier to work on and its not a nightmare getting to certain parts when they need replacement.

Newer cars, while they have the modern safety features, can also be costly because of the expense for simple diagnostics and repairs. Then you have to consider all the specialized tools and such which are hard to find, plus you even have nonstandard parts (bolts or drain plugs) that only dealers or shops seem to have, just to where you are forced to take the car in to have it worked on. And electronics, while reliable for the most part but when something fails it can be a bear to get replaced. Alot of modern cars now you can't even check the tranny fluid due to the lack of the dipstick; you're forced to take that in to have it checked.
In my experience, old school Detroit cars with carbs, particularly 1972 and earlier, are not troublesome at all, change the fuel filter per recommendations, and use a proper flare wrench, certainly not an adjustable wrench, to work on the flare fittings, and Bob's your uncle.

Likewise old carburated air cooled Bugs - set it and forget it.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:12 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,264,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I can buy a completely restored 70 Boss 302 for around 100K
I can buy a 2012 Boss 302 for around 45K

The 70 looks great, sounds great, is fast and I will get oohs and aahs all day long.

The new Boss looks great, sounds great, has A/C, air bags, traction control and will drive circles around the 70 Boss while getting 25MPG on the highway.

If I could afford both I would have both but since I can't I have a stock 5.0 Mustang that still outperforms the 70's Boss.

The question is do you want an older classic that loses value if you drive it or do you want a modern HP car that you can drive every day.

Whatever puts a smile on your face.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:23 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
C'mon Cav you can't honestly think that a car made of metal is safer than a car with crunch zones, roll over protection, side curtain airbags, traction control, electronic stabilization, anti-lock brakes, four wheel discs, etc etc etc...Even if just running the two vehicles into each other, odds are the earlier car loses...unless it's hitting a smart car.
I totally do.

Try smacking into a guard rail at 45MPH in a new plastic car, vs an old tank of a 83' Chevy Caprice. I chose the Caprice before and walked away w/o a scratch, and I will ALWAYS pick a "tank" over a "Hot Wheel". Heck, the Caprice only had a broken headlight out of the deal, lol!

Old 08-05-2011, 01:35 PM

654 posts, read 3,456,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
I totally do.

Try smacking into a guard rail at 45MPH in a new plastic car, vs an old tank of a 83' Chevy Caprice. I chose the Caprice before and walked away w/o a scratch, and I will ALWAYS pick a "tank" over a "Hot Wheel". Heck, the Caprice only had a broken headlight out of the deal, lol!
I remember back in '97 one my way home from work I was making a left turn at a green light and a lady in the other direction ran that light at full speed and hit me HARD on the back end and spun me a 180.

My car: 84 Olds Cutlass Ciera and it only suffered damage with a large dent and a dislodged fuel pump. If wasnt for the pump my car would have started right up as if nothing happened.

Woman that hit me drove a Geo, and her car was totaled completely from the front. And yes she was determined at fault for the accident later.

Nothing beats the old iron in these cars!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive