Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 10:50 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,062,373 times

Advertisements

You do understand most of these problems that "young children from other countries or from the US 100 years could do easily but modern people in the US can't" are FAKE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 10:50 PM

773 posts, read 2,623,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyvacant View Post
The problem is pretty straightforward, actually:

x--------------------------------x-------------------x
A S1 mtg at 12 pm S2 B

Let's take:
T - time to travel before meeting point at 12 PM
V1, V2 - velocities

A traveled S1 distance for T hours: S1 = V1*T
B traveled S1 distance after the meeting, since 12 PM till 9 PM: S1 = V2*9

So, V1*T = V2*9; T = V2*9 / V1

Similarly, S2 = V1*4 = V2*T => V2 = V1*4 / T

So, T = V2*9 / V1 = (V1*4 / T) * 9 / V1; T = 36 / T ; T**2 = 36; T = 6

So, they started at 12 - 6 = 6 am

Nothing magical. It definitely looks like a real example from the Russian school, proper for 12 y.o. guys.
I'm the original poster; I don't remember the answers, but 6am seems about right. I forgot to mention студенты (с=s, y=oo, д=d, н=n; see, Russian is translatable and Slavs don't use articles) are given only one page of clean paper for about 20 similar problems.

Another problem:

"Farmhands need to hoe up weeds in two fields. The larger field is twice the size of the smaller one. All of the farmhands work in the larger field until noon, when they are divided up into two groups. Half the hands remain in the larger field and just have sufficient time to finish it, while the other half move to the smaller field and leave a small area unfinished at the end of the day. One farmhand returns to the field the next day and just finishes it in the day. How many farmhands are there on the farm?"

Don't take this post too seriously. I recall making the original post after an inordinate amount of Belvedere vodka (Polish vodka, of course) after celebrating a birthday. I was not making a statement about the native intelligence of American students versus central & eastern European students.

But central & eastern European students are better taught. Their teachers are better paid and are shown more respect. The U.S., I'm afraid, is on a downward spiral.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:23 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,187,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I actually thought it was a rather witty comment, very American. .

And yet the first five grades of my education were at a private international school set up by the U.N.

But 'murrrka for the rest of it!!!!!

Old 09-29-2011, 02:34 PM

4 posts, read 3,569 times
I posted the mathematical problem in my blog and saw 2 correct answers next day. In this topic I do not see correct answer 3 weeks yet. It is really bad.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:10 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,871,103 times
The Answer:

The Russian Elementary Math Problem. - MacRumors Forums

Old 10-01-2011, 04:46 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,062,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post

"Farmhands need to hoe up weeds in two fields. The larger field is twice the size of the smaller one. All of the farmhands work in the larger field until noon, when they are divided up into two groups. Half the hands remain in the larger field and just have sufficient time to finish it, while the other half move to the smaller field and leave a small area unfinished at the end of the day. One farmhand returns to the field the next day and just finishes it in the day. How many farmhands are there on the farm?"

Now you are just making shyte up ... The answer could be two or 2 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive