Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 03:04 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The General Motors Co. (GM) chief executive officer had to scale back ambitions yesterday for the automaker’s OnStar service, reversing a decision to track the locations of people who left the program after a flap in Washington about privacy concerns. Facebook Inc. came under fire several times in the past two years for making privacy settings hard for users to understand and control.

article here

Score one for us tinfoil hat crazies who actually value our privacy, but seriously I cant believe anyone would have actually supported this. THis goes to show you that through not being apathetic we can change things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 06:01 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,247 times
Yes, our thread did it! Someone at OnStar must have been reading this.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
Yes, our thread did it! Someone at OnStar must have been reading this.
I would highly doubt this board made a difference, but it did raise awareness of the issue, which OnStar tried to prevent.

Even the US government which regularly spies on people thought OnStar was way out of line with these changes.

The people have spoken and scored a minor victory.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:56 AM

780 posts, read 2,924,920 times
I'm not reconnecting the OnStar modules on my GMs regardless of the outcome of this fiasco. This only shows a solid proof that the fundamental capability is there; it's all about "control".

Old 09-29-2011, 10:04 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Assuming I'd ever buy a GM product and a GM product with on-star I am still disconnecting the unit.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS VETT View Post
I'm not reconnecting the OnStar modules on my GMs regardless of the outcome of this fiasco. This only shows a solid proof that the fundamental capability is there; it's all about "control".
In Dubai they already use this kind of technology to monitor driving habits and give speeding tickets.

Our privacy is an inconvenience to profit and government agenda.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:15 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I would highly doubt this board made a difference, but it did raise awareness of the issue, which OnStar tried to prevent.

Even the US government which regularly spies on people thought OnStar was way out of line with these changes.

The people have spoken and scored a minor victory.
It certainly raised my awareness and I thank you again.

What I'd like to know is how and why (from the article) "This data is worth hundreds of millions of dollars". The very idea of selling this data is outrageous and should offend the sensibilities of all freedom-loving Americans.

This is an excellent example of just one of the growing number of reasons that more and more people are resentful of the wealthy and skeptical that they got there honestly and ethically. No person with a strong moral compass would consider putting this private information up for sale. But it is clear that today's corporate world has no such compass and has NOT been acting in American national interests for a long time.

Tried, but can't rep you again.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
It certainly raised my awareness and I thank you again.

What I'd like to know is how and why (from the article) "This data is worth hundreds of millions of dollars". The very idea of selling this data is outrageous and should offend the sensibilities of all freedom-loving Americans.

This is an excellent example of just one of the growing number of reasons that more and more people are resentful of the wealthy and skeptical that they got there honestly and ethically. No person with a strong moral compass would consider putting this private information up for sale. But it is clear that today's corporate world has no such compass and has NOT been acting in American national interests for a long time.

Tried, but can't rep you again.
It is easy to blame the elite, but the people let this happen. The people who stand at the sidelines and do nothing, sometimes even defend the oppressors, are the ones who deserve equal blame.

Same thing happened in Nazi Germany. Most germans werent in the Nazi party, but before they (nazis) took total control they did nothing. It was obvious what the results were going to be, but they (german people) couldn't be bothered to care.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:16 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,871,001 times
Holy crap, not again

Old 09-29-2011, 04:04 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
It is easy to blame the elite, but the people let this happen. The people who stand at the sidelines and do nothing, sometimes even defend the oppressors, are the ones who deserve equal blame.

Same thing happened in Nazi Germany. Most germans werent in the Nazi party, but before they (nazis) took total control they did nothing. It was obvious what the results were going to be, but they (german people) couldn't be bothered to care.
Waiting for the application of godwin's law... It didn't take long.

Godwin's Law | Know Your Meme It is really pathetic how some apply this principal to a discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by know you meme
By 2007, The Economist had declared that “a good rule in most discussions is that the first person to call the other a Nazi automatically loses the argument.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Holy crap, not again
That is the truth.

----------------------------

What is funny no one is willing to take reponsibility to protect their information... They possess shopping cards have onstar, have GPS equipped cell phone. They are no smart enough to disconnect onstar, or boycott a product on principal. They then call them nazi's for gathering and sell information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive