Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 01:10 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,187 times

Advertisements

I've made a few threads here recently on my car dilemma. Hopefully I'll only have one more and I'll be done with this whole expensive and stressful episode. So here's the info:

2006 Subaru WRX wagon
105k miles

There are 3 pressing matters with this car:
Needs a new windshield ($400)
105k maintenance w/ timing belt (quoted at $800)
Dreaded secondary air system failure causing CEL (quoted $2000, doesn't affect driveability or reliability of car whatsoever)

I just paid $3k for repairs that took a whole month to complete. Now the car is driveable again and I'm really itching to get out of it before anything else goes wrong. If something else goes wrong it's going to put me in the poor house.

Here's the question for CD's awesome car community: would I take a bigger hit having these services before the trade or trading it as-is? I'm thinking I'd be upside down about $1k on my loan if the car was pristine, so it KILLS me to trade it but I really just can't afford this crap anymore.

The way I see it there's no easy way out, so how can I minimize the toll financially?

EDIT ADD: I should add that total repairs outside of routine maintenance for this car have gone over $5k in the 18 months I have had the car. This is a potentially important consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 02:41 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
Yes, they will ding you a lot for the windshield and the A/C.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Yes, they will ding you a lot for the windshield and the A/C.
AC works great. Secondary air system is a faulty system on newer turbo Subarus that fails in literally every car. It has to do with smog on a cold start.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:09 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
In my experience, both as a car salesman and as a consumer, the dealer won't worry too much about specific problems with the car for a couple of reasons. Number one, the repairs you have to pay retail for they will get done at cost. Sure they will dock you a little, but not enough to justify paying for the repair before trading. And number two, given the year and mileage of your car, they will probably just to what they have to do to make it appear that it doesn't have any problems and send it to the auction.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:37 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
AC works great. Secondary air system is a faulty system on newer turbo Subarus that fails in literally every car. It has to do with smog on a cold start.

Ah. My mistake, I misread that.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:43 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,057,165 times
Just trade it. I would not do a thing to it at this point, you'd be wasting your money.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:05 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice! I'm going to get it detailed and appraised this weekend and let you know what sort of hit I'm taking.

Keep the tips coming!

Old 08-09-2011, 09:46 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
It would probably work out better to just trade it and use the money you would have paid to make the repairs as a downpayment on the car you are buying to help offset any negative equity. Chances are any repairs you make will not recover the same level of value at trade, so that $2k you drop on repairs, may only make the car worth another $500 or so at trade. Better to take the slight hit on the trade and use the cash if needed to butter the deal on the new car.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:24 PM

Just an update for anyone who's interested:

Autotrader's "instant trade-in offer" approximated $8400 for my trade
I had a dealer do a rough appraisal via email (I told them the problem in full detail) and they're offering me $5k-$6k.

I owe a little over $11k. I'm so effed . . .

It appears that literally my only option is to have the repairs done to the tune of an ADDITIONAL $3k. Thanks to those last repairs I'm nearly broke. The total bill for repairs in my first two years of ownership (not including 75k maintenance, 90k maintenance, or oil changes etc) looks to be over $8k. That is just criminal. I'm sure Subaru won't mind losing me as a lifelong customer, they've already sapped my entire bank account and are literally pushing me to the brink of personal financial crisis.

What a terrible terrible financial decision I've made.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:07 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
When I was in your situation I bought a Craftsman tool set for $160, a Haynes manual for $15, and started surfing web boards specific to my car where writeups existed. Saved a ton of cash, and I learned to do things myself. Necessity is the mother of invention, you can do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive