Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2011, 01:11 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times

Advertisements

From what I have read, the radiator hose connected to the thermostat should get hot quickly within a few minute of start-up as the thermostat opens and circulates hot coolant from the engine to the radiator.

What about the other hose? Does it get equally hot? Or is it cooler?

On my 94 Honda Accord, the thermostat is connected to lower radiator hose. But it is the upper hose that gets hot after a start-up. The lower hose gets hot too, but not as hot as the upper hose. Is this normal?

Can some of you test your hoses a few minutes after start-up to see which one gets hotter or if they are equally hot? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 01:23 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
The lower hose is for coolant to return to the block after it has been cooled by the radiator. So yes it will be cooler. Heat rises so it is in a practical position.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:39 PM

Wow, you have answered my question and then some. I somehow have it in my head that the thermostat opens to allow engine coolant into the radiator through the hose it is attached to. Clearly this is not the case with the 94 Accord. In this case, I imagine, the thermostat opens to allow radiator coolant to enter the engine. Big rep point for you. Thanks.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:12 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Wow, you have answered my question and then some. I somehow have it in my head that the thermostat opens to allow engine coolant into the radiator through the hose it is attached to. Clearly this is not the case with the 94 Accord. In this case, I imagine, the thermostat opens to allow radiator coolant to enter the engine. Big rep point for you. Thanks.
The thermostat just prevents circulation through the radiator, doesn't really matter if its on the input or output side.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:14 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,090 times
Quote:
I somehow have it in my head that the thermostat opens to allow engine coolant into the radiator through the hose it is attached to.
The therrmostat is designed to open at a certain temp say 180-195 degrees. Once this happens, hot water from the engine moves into the radiator and cooled water from the radiator is pumped into the engine. If you have a temp gauge, you can view this happening, the temp gauge will move up to some where around 180-200 and then drop very quickly to something like 160-180. Etc. The engine is also designed to run at a certain temp, usually around 180-195 and anything cooler could actually hurt the engine by creating hotspots in the cyclinders.

As for radiator hoses, the top hose is genally hotter and breaks the most. In the event a radiator does break, DO NOT open the radiator cap!! The cap and water is EXTREMELY HOT!! This was or steam could shoot out or spary every where if cap is removed before allowed to cool.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:06 AM

The temp gauge on my Accord does up to about 3:30 and stays there the whole time. It does not drop.

What are the symptoms of a thermostat failure?

One that's stuck open mean both hoses feel the same?

One that's stuck closed mean....?

Thanks again.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:54 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
The temp gauge on my Accord does up to about 3:30 and stays there the whole time. It does not drop.

What are the symptoms of a thermostat failure?

One that's stuck open mean both hoses feel the same?

One that's stuck closed mean....?

Thanks again.
Genreally, one that's stuck open will take a lot longer for the engine to get up to normal temparature, and one that stuck closed will cause the engine to overheat.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:21 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Genreally, one that's stuck open will take a lot longer for the engine to get up to normal temparature, and one that stuck closed will cause the engine to overheat.
True.

OP: Stuck open the engine never really gets to full warmed up, operational temps, but will run ok anyway.

A stuck closed t stat will raise hell very quickly, and either tip off the rad cap and blow coolant all over, or blow the top hose.

Your Honda has a odd location, as most other engines have the t stat mounted high near the engine top, and closer to the rad.

it doesn't realy matter as was stated. In yuour case the engine heats up and that temp opens the T stat to flow. The water pump is what makes the flow, that and the fact heat rises.

The old Model T made by Ford had no water pump at all. It worked (not well) by just the fact heat rises, and it did circulate, or you would never see one in parades today.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:32 PM

2 posts, read 17,735 times
1993 accord run properly for a few miles, then the temp goes just below the red line
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive