Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 04:24 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,793,832 times

Advertisements

I think that other thread about tailgating has kinda got everyone worked up a little.

And Drover, I believe it was me who made the remark about getting shot someday. I meant no harm, just know that there are some crazies out there just looking for a reason (to slam on their brakes).

There was a man shot just over in Indiana a few years back because the other driver thought he cut her off in traffic. At the first traffic light he got off his motorcycle and went back to ask her why she was tailgating him and she pulled a gun and shot him in the stomach. He lived, they went to court and she's doing time now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 04:28 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
I think that other thread about tailgating has kinda got everyone worked up a little.

And Drover, I believe it was me who made the remark about getting shot someday. I meant no harm, just know that there are some crazies out there just looking for a reason (to slam on their brakes).

There was a man shot just over in Indiana a few years back because the other driver thought he cut her off in traffic. At the first traffic light he got off his motorcycle and went back to ask her why she was tailgating him and she pulled a gun and shot him in the stomach. He lived, they went to court and she's doing time now.
Now, there's a woman who just Can't Uderstand Normal Thinking.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:40 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,793,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Now, there's a woman who just Can't Uderstand Normal Thinking.
LOL Good one

Old 11-06-2009, 05:39 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,561,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I went ahead and gave Drover my +5 for starting this thread in the first place. If you think it's cool bashing other posters blatantly and getting away with it... that's fine. You got my attention.

But I disagree with you. Just do us a favor; use your rear-view mirror more and get the heck over. It's simple.

This thread was a pretty nice thread at the time of its inception and even had the peaceful participation from a mod from here with a little bit of driving experience himself.

Let's at least consider what the OPs point was... driving slow in the left lane.
Can you find me any post where I've advocated going slow in the left lane? No.

Can you find me any post where I've talked about going slow in the left lane? No.

Can you find me any post where I've said it's a good idea to brake check tail-gaters? No.

That said, the road rage tail-gaters - such as the OP here - need to get over themselves. They don't own the road. This isn't NASCAR. They don't have the inherent right to drive 20 mph over the speed limit. They have no right to expect everyone to get out of their rampaging way. And when they brag about such stupid things as ramming people off the road with their "big ole sum beach 4x4 Chevy with the mondo brush guard" they expose themselves as the a-holes they are.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:04 PM

17,874 posts, read 27,262,848 times
How do you know Drover even tailgates? Have you seen it with your own eyes?

Here, let me answer that one for you; No.

I've been accused of being an aggressive driver by a poster in the Colorado forum and he doesn't even drive... much less know me from Adam. How do you know these "posters" are even real people and not just a figment of your imagination? Do you take these forums pretty serious? Maybe you hook up with some of these folks on the weekend. I have maybe one or two posters in here that even know me f2f. And you?

Old 11-06-2009, 06:10 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,561,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
How do you know Drover even tailgates? Have you seen it with your own eyes?

Here, let me answer that one for you; No.

I've been accused of being an aggressive driver by a poster in the Colorado forum and he doesn't even drive... much less know me from Adam. How do you know these "posters" are even real people and not just a figment of your imagination? Do you take these forums pretty serious? Maybe you hook up with some of these folks on the weekend. I have maybe one or two posters in here that even know me f2f. And you?
Do you read what they write?

Old 11-06-2009, 09:59 PM

15,394 posts, read 25,628,292 times
I guess it was lost a few paqges back, but I would like to mention that the signs which say, "Slower Traffic Keep Right" are part of the problem. They are not clear enough. The better signs say, "Keep Right Except To Pass". That is much more clear. The problem with the "slower tr..." signs is that someone doing 63 in a 55 says, "I'm not going slow, so I will stay left".

Old 11-06-2009, 10:11 PM

15,853 posts, read 34,997,155 times
Quote:
See those signs on the side of the road saying "Slower Traffic Keep Right"? Those signs are there for a reason. And they're not merely suggestions; they are the law.

I swear, I'm gonna start carrying a five million candlepower spotlight in my car and start shining it in the mirrors of left-lane barnacles who don't get the hint when there's a line of traffic behind them -- or worse yet, when traffic starts blowing by them in the right lane...
The speed limit is the law too. As long as you are going the speed limit - in theory - nobody should be going faster, so my philosophy is that if I am going the speed limit then I am entitled to drive in any lane I wish.

I am still waiting for the day that some bozo passes me on the right, or passes me in a no-passing zone and looses control and flips it four or five times into the ditch. I'd have to pull over because I'd be laughing so hard.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-06-2009, 11:03 PM

4,260 posts, read 8,119,250 times
Quote:
Or maybe left-lane hogs should stop trying to play "Traffic Cop" and leave that to the state troopers to exercise at their discretion. Driving the speed limit around here will get you run off the road and create a bottleneck. If you create a bottleneck in the right lane, you're merely an annoyance. If you create a bottleneck in the left lane, you're no longer just an annoyance, you are endangering people's safety by seriously messing up traffic-flow predictability. That's why the "left lane for passing only" laws exist and why you are supposed to move to the right when you're not passing, even if you're driving the speed limit. So get of your self-righteous high horse and stay in the right lane.
Amen brother.

Too many people are Jonny or Suzy Law out there, instead of just doing what they need to do.

Are there any statistics or guesstimates on how many highway accidents are caused by people driving too slow?

Old 11-06-2009, 11:40 PM

17,874 posts, read 27,262,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Do you read what they write?
Yeah, but I'd rather see them in here having keyboard rage than out on the road with road rage.

I was recently pulled over for speeding twice in the last couple of months. I was given a warning each time... so I guess it's time for me to slow down a bit. I was 10 over the first time... 65 in a 55 and the second time was going 72 in a 65 in Kansas. My GPS said I was doing 72 and he said I was doing 73. Normally I only go about 70 in a 65. But it was Kansas! What I think I did right was didn't argue... at all. He gave me the warning, so I was happy about that and slowed it down a bit.

What would the ticket be for tailgaiting or break checking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive