Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2009, 09:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,794,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Excuse me, but there is a "SPEED LIMIT".... the left lane is not "The Fast Lane" just as the right lane is not "The Slow Lane".

I have NEVER, in all my 30+ years of driving, seen a sign that tells the slower traffic to keep right. I'm in NY so maybe they have them in other parts of the country but I've never seen them here.

If you do the speed limit, you'll be fine. What's your big rush, anyway?
How I manage my time is none of your business. Just because you don't value your time doesn't mean you're entitled to clog up traffic flow. "If you do the limit, you'll be fine" isn't true around here (it will get you mowed down), and I suspect it's the same way in a lot of New York too. Meanwhile, here's the relevant law in your state (VTL § 1120(b)):

"If you are driving slower than normal traffic on the roadway, you must drive in the right-hand lane or reasonably close to the right curb or edge of the roadway except when passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when in the process of making a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 10:36 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,024,797 times
Quote:
Excuse me, but there is a "SPEED LIMIT".... the left lane is not "The Fast Lane" just as the right lane is not "The Slow Lane".

I have NEVER, in all my 30+ years of driving, seen a sign that tells the slower traffic to keep right. I'm in NY so maybe they have them in other parts of the country but I've never seen them here.

If you do the speed limit, you'll be fine. What's your big rush, anyway?

First, the left lane is for passing.

Second, 'Slower Traffic Keep Right' signs are all over the country, at least where I have driven in my 35 years of driving, so if you come out here, you better notice them and pay attention. If you stay in NY, I got no problem with you.

Third, it is none of your business how fast anyone else goes, that is up to them an the enforcement authorities.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:28 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,436,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Third, it is none of your business how fast anyone else goes, .
When insurance companies start charging safe drivers higher premiums to make up for morons who feel they have to speed, weave in and out of traffic, tailgate, flash lights at people, etc, then it becomes my business.

If you want to kill yourself, fine. Do so. Just make sure your family picks up the entire tab. However, do the rest of us a favor and don't take anyone else with you, don't cause a traffic jam because of your irresponsiblity, and don't cause damage to anyone else's property when you do it.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:15 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,364,134 times
Actually, insurance companies use your credit more than anything else to determine your rates.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:10 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,583,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Actually, insurance companies use your credit more than anything else to determine your rates.
Yes, that's part of what they use. But if you have any moving violations or accidents, they're sure as heck going to use those against you too - and spike your rates because of it!

Old 11-08-2009, 02:31 PM

17,914 posts, read 27,310,293 times
Gee. We're really getting somewhere with this thread. I see a humanitarian award in our futures.

So... I thought the guy driving slow in the fast lane (Life in the Fast Lane... remember that Joe Walsh tune?) were just being stubborn or had the selfish-don't-look-in-the-rear-view-mirror-gene, or were passing their you-drive-too-fast judgement on us. I had no idea they were also jealous of our gr8 credit and low insurance premiums.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:18 PM

15,395 posts, read 25,663,648 times
Quote:
You are absolutely correct. The left lane is actually called "The Passing Lane"

Quote:
I have NEVER, in all my 30+ years of driving, seen a sign that tells the slower traffic to keep right.
I.m not sure what you're not seeing those signs hass to do with anything, but in my 25+ years driving I have seen them in many states, including New York. (example: Sign Shop - The Upstate N.Y. Roads Site)

Quote:
If you do the speed limit, you'll be fine.
That is not always a true statement. There are many reasons why a person might go faster than 55 on a freeway, none of which are your business. Obey the law and keep right except to pass.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:33 PM

I am not sure why some of the folks here automatically assume that those of us that advocate the proper use of the 'passing lane' are speeders and scoff-laws.

While laws vary from state to state, the idea of the left lane is that it is for passing and if you are in it and someone wants to pass you should move to the right if and when it is safe to do so.

That is the bottom line.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:42 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,772,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
I am not sure why some of the folks here automatically assume that those of us that advocate the proper use of the 'passing lane' are speeders and scoff-laws.
Because they're morons who would argue that you're wrong and they're right, even when you show them the relevant state statute printed in black and white.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Because they're morons who would argue that you're wrong and they're right, even when you show them the relevant state statute printed in black and white.
Yup, I have had that experience.

Have you seen this site: Left Lane Drivers Unite!

It is pretty cool, with links to state laws, etc.

I just wish folks would learn how to drive. Things would be much easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive