Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2009, 11:32 PM

14,418 posts, read 22,361,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
See those signs on the side of the road saying "Slower Traffic Keep Right"? Those signs are there for a reason. And they're not merely suggestions; they are the law.

I swear, I'm gonna start carrying a five million candlepower spotlight in my car and start shining it in the mirrors of left-lane barnacles who don't get the hint when there's a line of traffic behind them -- or worse yet, when traffic starts blowing by them in the right lane...
Are you my husband?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 11:34 PM

14,418 posts, read 22,361,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Maybe people should just drive the speed limit instead of whining about someone in the left lane driving "slow"!
Maybe people should follow the rules of traffic, and one of those rules are, left lanes for passing only!And unless you are the fastest one on the road, get the H...over!

Old 12-03-2009, 09:47 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,589,555 times
Yeah get out of the freaking way

Old 12-03-2009, 10:08 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,111,912 times
i'd like to also throw out that this rule does not go out the window during inclement weather. drivers on my commute are generally pretty good about staying out of the passing lane (notice i didn't say 'fast lane'), but as soon as it starts pouring, everyone loses their minds.

yes, rain is scary, but it doesn't change the rules of the road. if you get freaked out and feel the need to slow down, (which, believe me, this SoCal boy definitely has happen now that he drives in the heavy rains of NC), keep to the rules. slower traffic keeps right!!!!!

Mike

Old 12-03-2009, 10:16 AM

469 posts, read 1,864,609 times
Some people up here just don't know! It's called a passing lane for a reason! I cannot tell you how many times traffic flows so much smoother when proper lane discipline is followed! The minute some former hallway monitor wants to trot in the left lane, all h*ll breaks loose. Like another poster said. We all drive our preferred speed. If your preferred speed isn't keeping up with the rest of traffic, move over. SIMPLE AS THAT.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:54 PM

371 posts, read 933,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguy05 View Post
Some people up here just don't know! It's called a passing lane for a reason! I cannot tell you how many times traffic flows so much smoother when proper lane discipline is followed! The minute some former hallway monitor wants to trot in the left lane, all h*ll breaks loose. Like another poster said. We all drive our preferred speed. If your preferred speed isn't keeping up with the rest of traffic, move over. SIMPLE AS THAT.
And SIMPLE is why it makes no sense to folks...lol

Old 12-03-2009, 02:45 PM

5,842 posts, read 11,832,516 times
The roads I drive on are 4 lane (2 each direction) with lights and left turns, so people have valid reasons to be in the left lane, but the speed limit is 60.

So...I am usually one of the people getting angry at slowpokes in the left lane who won't do the speed limit. I also move over if someone comes up behind me going faster than me.

However, last week, after entering the roadway and getting in the left lane to pass quite a few people doing below the speed limit, I had a car come up behind me and flash their lights. Now here's the deal, I was doing 67 in a 60 and the right lane was full of people going slower. There was no way I could just pull over.

It really made me angry. I tend to get a little vindictive when someone pisses me off and I try very hard not to get into or provoke road rage situations, but this one pushed me to the edge. I ended up pulling over as soon as I could but I still feel like flashing the lights was uncalled for.

The one and only time I flashed my lights, I followed a lady in the left lane going 5-7 MPH under the speed limit for several miles. I was getting aggravated and finally flashed my lights - right before she put on her left turn signal and slowed down to make a left turn.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:45 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,106,646 times
Speed limits are for people who don't know how to drive in the first place

Old 12-03-2009, 02:55 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,075,985 times
One might as well spit in the wind as complain about bad drivers.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:01 PM

6,593 posts, read 8,907,835 times
We had this conversation a while ago on the Pittsburgh forum. Obviously it's going to vary by state, but in PA it's legal to overtake a vehicle from the right, so if anyone it tailgating my ass in the left lane, too freaking bad. :-p (of course I'm only in the left lane if I'm already speeding or need to turn left/take a left exit soon.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive