Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2014, 12:13 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,637,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanedrivesbetter View Post
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" doesn't mean "slower than YOU want to go" it only means slower than the speed limit. No one is required to grant you right-of-way because you want to break the speed limit law. It is designated as a LIMIT for a reason...

Listen, it does NOT mean "slower then the speed limit". It means slower relative to others on the road. If the flow of high speed traffic is 80mph and you are parked in the left lane alongside someone in the right lane going 65mph, you're going to have about 30 people stacked up behind you wishing your car would spontaneously explode.

It's incredibly rude, selfish, not to mention dangerous to do that. Then the people who want to get where they are going in a decent time will resort to diving between lanes trying to get past you slow drivers, which is when accidents happen. I see it every single day here in South Florida.

So hop off your "I drive the speed limit so I'm better then all of you" high horse, and get the hell out of the left lane.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-25-2014 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: hotlinking and/or copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 10:21 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,124,870 times
Quote:
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" doesn't mean "slower than YOU want to go" it only means slower than the speed limit. No one is required to grant you right-of-way because you want to break the speed limit law. It is designated as a LIMIT for a reason...
Everyone think they can drive as fast as they want and the hell with the speed limit. These idiots cause the accidents by weaving in and out of traffic because they think they are above the law and can drive as fast as they want and the hell with everyone else. I also live in Florida the dumb ass state for driver's Had so many wrong way crashes here. I think they get their license out of a cracker jack box. I'm talking dumb and dumer drivers. I see idiots making right Hand turns from the left turn lane all the time. Must be the sun frying there brains.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:01 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Maybe people should just drive the speed limit instead of whining about someone in the left lane driving "slow"!
If you are not passing somebody you don't hang out in the left lane,

Old 12-26-2014, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Everyone think they can drive as fast as they want and the hell with the speed limit. These idiots cause the accidents by weaving in and out of traffic because they think they are above the law and can drive as fast as they want and the hell with everyone else. I also live in Florida the dumb ass state for driver's Had so many wrong way crashes here. I think they get their license out of a cracker jack box. I'm talking dumb and dumer drivers. I see idiots making right Hand turns from the left turn lane all the time. Must be the sun frying there brains.
NO. They are weaving through lanes because there are self righteous pricks parked in all the lanes going the same slow speed (usually right around or less then the speed limit). I call them moving chicanes, swedish people refer to it as elephant racing (that's more when a tractor trailer pulls out and tries to pass another one and blocks the whole road for miles in the process, same basic thing though). If you are going to go slow relative to what the fast drivers are doing, stay far away from the left lanes and let us through. That is what the right lanes are there for, for the slow pokes. Left lanes are for the higher speed folks. It's really simple. You stay out of our lanes, we'll stay out of yours.

I mean seriously, the other day I was on the turnpike and was held up at 65mph (5 under the limit) for 15 friggin' miles because a mini van was parked in the left lane alongside a bunch of cars in the right lane. I made sure to let them know how I felt when I finally got by them. So ridiculously rude, there were over 30 cars stacked up behind this guy. I was 10 cars back so I couldn't lay on the horn or anything, the person right behind them didn't take the initiative for all of us.

It's been getting worse, not better. Now it seems the majority of people automatically move over into the left lane and then just sit there, it completely baffles me. These people apparently want to be a part of the fast drivers without actually going fast. Sorry, doesn't work that way.

And before people start crying about how speeding is reckless and blah blah, modern cars are more then capable of handling 80mph, it's a non event. I personally don't know how anyone drives 65mph on major highways, it's SO damn slow. How do you get anywhere? I drive at ~80 and have never gotten a ticket, so obviously the cops agree that it's a reasonable speed.

Last edited by tofur; 12-26-2014 at 05:21 AM..

Old 12-26-2014, 05:26 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,850 times
Quote:
if you are obstructing traffic at ANY SPEED you are endangering people. If you are in the far left lane and people are passing you on the right, below, at or above the speed limit, you are obstructing traffic and should move over to the right as soon as it is safe to do so.

It's not only the law,more importantly it is good manners (something we seem to have forgotten).

Old 12-26-2014, 05:43 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,502,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post

It's incredibly rude, selfish, not to mention dangerous to do that. Then the people who want to get where they are going in a decent time will resort to diving between lanes trying to get past you slow drivers, which is when accidents happen. I see it every single day here in South Florida.
I don't drive in left lane but I find it incredible that leftlane slowpoke is "rude, selfish and not to mention dangerous" but people who "want to get where they are going in a decent time will resort to diving between lanes trying to get past you and others" are not any of those. Not to mention the "decent time" thing. I guess they make a habit of it and that's why in heavy rush hour traffic do the same thing to reach their destination in "decent time" not to mention putting everyone else in danger.

I also find left lane tailgaters to be somewhat dumb as they are tailgating (and I mean all of them - it's like you sign a contract that says you will be tailgated and you'll tailgate as soon as you move to left lane) and changing lanes like crazy still I see them near me after 45mins of drive I have everyday and I bet all of them think they are going to make their destinations in "decent time".

I also agree people should drive in right lane and move to left to pass only and this applies to those who think they are going much faster than everybody else.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:37 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
What is the point of all these arguments? No one ever says, "My bad, you're right." on either side of the argument. You can't teach them on the road, and you can't teach them here, even when you explain clearly. No one listens. Just give it up. It will not change until the cops actually enforce whichever law you prefer them to enforce.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
I don't drive in left lane but I find it incredible that leftlane slowpoke is "rude, selfish and not to mention dangerous" but people who "want to get where they are going in a decent time will resort to diving between lanes trying to get past you and others" are not any of those. Not to mention the "decent time" thing. I guess they make a habit of it and that's why in heavy rush hour traffic do the same thing to reach their destination in "decent time" not to mention putting everyone else in danger.

I also find left lane tailgaters to be somewhat dumb as they are tailgating (and I mean all of them - it's like you sign a contract that says you will be tailgated and you'll tailgate as soon as you move to left lane) and changing lanes like crazy still I see them near me after 45mins of drive I have everyday and I bet all of them think they are going to make their destinations in "decent time".

I also agree people should drive in right lane and move to left to pass only and this applies to those who think they are going much faster than everybody else.
The slow poke in the left lane is the sole reason for the people diving around the other lanes. The people moving around lanes want to go quickly, if the left lanes were open and only used by people such as themselves, they wouldn't be moving around. That's WHY the damn laws exist, slower traffic, KEEP RIGHT. Faster cars, PASS LEFT. It's a thing of beauty when the left lane is populated by only faster cars, it's just one long train of cars going more or less the same speed while the right 2 or 3 lanes are populated by slower cars.

Then inevitably it comes to a grinding halt because some moron is parked in the left lane going 20mph slower and refuses to get over (either because they are oblivious to their surroundings aka a danger to everyone around them, or they feel entitled to be there even though they are breaking the law by impeding traffic so badly), forcing the previously peaceful and stable train to get pissed off (and therefore aggressive) and spread out across the road to get around.

Differences in speed is what causes accidents on highways. When you keep the different speeds separate in their own lanes, things flow and work. Of course some idiots who drive fast seem to enjoy weaving in and out of traffic in the right lanes even though the left lane is open, but I rarely see that. What I do see every single time I drive is slow people in the fast lanes.

The other main gripe I have with highway driving is all the people who merge onto highways at 40mph. So dangerous, and what's worse is it's endangering everyone behind them on the on-ramp who are forced to merge at the unsafe speed as well.

Last edited by tofur; 12-26-2014 at 08:22 AM..

Old 12-26-2014, 09:00 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Maybe people should just drive the speed limit instead of whining about someone in the left lane driving "slow"!

How about the person driving in the fast lane who ISN'T driving the speed limit get over?
Just a thought.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:14 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,317,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
The slow poke in the left lane is the sole reason for the people diving around the other lanes. The people moving around lanes want to go quickly, if the left lanes were open and only used by people such as themselves, they wouldn't be moving around. That's WHY the damn laws exist, slower traffic, KEEP RIGHT. Faster cars, PASS LEFT. It's a thing of beauty when the left lane is populated by only faster cars, it's just one long train of cars going more or less the same speed while the right 2 or 3 lanes are populated by slower cars.

Then inevitably it comes to a grinding halt because some moron is parked in the left lane going 20mph slower and refuses to get over (either because they are oblivious to their surroundings aka a danger to everyone around them, or they feel entitled to be there even though they are breaking the law by impeding traffic so badly), forcing the previously peaceful and stable train to get pissed off (and therefore aggressive) and spread out across the road to get around.

Differences in speed is what causes accidents on highways. When you keep the different speeds separate in their own lanes, things flow and work. Of course some idiots who drive fast seem to enjoy weaving in and out of traffic in the right lanes even though the left lane is open, but I rarely see that. What I do see every single time I drive is slow people in the fast lanes.

The other main gripe I have with highway driving is all the people who merge onto highways at 40mph. So dangerous, and what's worse is it's endangering everyone behind them on the on-ramp who are forced to merge at the unsafe speed as well.
Accidents are caused by many things, not just speed differences. And I agree both slow and fast drivers can cause accidents.

But I will say, slower drivers ( speed-limit obeyers) tend to drive more respectfully than do faster drivers. Speeders act like they own the road and they get pissed when other drivers aren't in the same hurry. Aggressive driving seems to belong solely to drivers who speed.

If all cars had governors limiting max speed to 60MPH, I'm sure the freeways would be a much friendlier place.

And this coming from a guy who generally drives above the speed limit in the fast lane. The difference is I don't think I own the road, and I don't get bent out of shape when I encounter a slower driver. It's not much effort to simply ease off the accelerator or switch lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive