Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2011, 12:43 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,782,627 times

Advertisements

The ECM on my Honda Accord is located on the passenger side footrest. A few years ago, the car was flooded. Water was well above the footrest area. I removed the water and tried to start the car. It didn't start right away, but started a few hours later. I think either the water or my trying to start the car so soon might have fried the ECM. However, I don't know this for sure. Is there a simple way to check?

Since the car has been running fine (relatively), I am thinking:

1. Maybe the ECM does not directly control engine performance. It is just there to monitor various components and tell you when they fail. If this is the case, a car with a broken ECM is just like an older car without one.

Anyway, I would really appreciate your experience, opinions, expertise on this. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 01:00 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
The ECM on my Honda Accord is located on the passenger side footrest. A few years ago, the car was flooded. Water was well above the footrest area. I removed the water and tried to start the car. It didn't start right away, but started a few hours later. I think either the water or my trying to start the car so soon might have fried the ECM. However, I don't know this for sure. Is there a simple way to check?

1. Maybe the ECM does not directly control engine performance. It is just there to monitor various components and tell you when they fail. If this is the case, a car with a broken ECM is just like an older car without one.

Anyway, I would really appreciate your experience, opinions, expertise on this. Thanks.
It probably wasn't damaged, if the car is running all right, and you don't have an indication of malfunction. The car won't run without it.

That said, failure modes aren't necessarily either run/no-run. It's a complex device and the failure mode of one circuit won't necessarily keep the car from starting. There would usually be degraded performance, malfunction indicator lamp, etc. In other words, you'd notice a problem.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:53 PM

773 posts, read 2,631,387 times
You did not say if your car is OBD I (pre 1966) or OBD II (≥ 1966). Sounds like your car is OBD I. An OBD II can be reflashed by the dealer for about $200.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:39 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,779,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post

If your car has fuel injection, the ECM controls the firing of the injectors. If your ignition is coil packs and not the traditional rotary distributor, the ECM also controls that.

If your car has an ECM and it is also factory carbureted and factory rotary distributor, the ECM just helps to keep a good air/fuel mixture and also controls the advancement of the timing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
You did not say if your car is OBD I (pre 1966) or OBD II (≥ 1966). Sounds like your car is OBD I. An OBD II can be reflashed by the dealer for about $200.
They didn't have OBD I in 1966. Heck they didn't even have any ECM's that I know of until the 1980's. And if they did have ECM's back in 1966 they'd be bulky as hell with all those vacuum tubes on board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive