Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 09:00 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,777,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Wow. I'd really hate to have to sell that thing off... but if it's your daily driver and your kid-hauler it's just not well-suited to the present task at hand.

My concern with both the G8 and the GTO is limited parts availability here in the U.S. Maybe the GTO owners here can confirm or deny, but I've heard that parts that are not interchangable with more common domestic models can be eye-poppingly expensive and it can take a while to get your hands on them.
Actually my daily driver is a zero options (other than 4X4) beater S-10 truck. We do have a kid hauler (Honda CRV) that the wife drives. I don't like the CRV personally. The T type is more the less a weekend toy. I could use it as a daily driver (it does have working a/c and an overdrive tranny) but then I have to worry about someone stealing it as they are theft magnets.

I actually could haul my daughter around in it now if I really wanted to, but kind of like you said, it doesn't have the car seat anchor points (yes she still has to ride in a car seat) plus I was thinking maybe the G8's aren't so much of a theft magnet (I could be wrong), also I figure the ride quality is probably better than the T type's since it's so much newer.

Also on a performance car, I like manual trannies, I see I'd have to find a GXP version of the G8 for that.

The two good things going for my T type is 1. I don't owe anything on it and 2. It's a classic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 04:52 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
Quote:
My concern with both the G8 and the GTO is limited parts availability here in the U.S. Maybe the GTO owners here can confirm or deny, but I've heard that parts that are not interchangable with more common domestic models can be eye-poppingly expensive and it can take a while to get your hands on them.
No issue as of yet although we are covered by law until 2013 regarding GM being mandated to provide replacement parts. Of course, they were available in OZ from 1999-2006 on so only the unique parts for US import would be the scarce ones.

A bit over 40,000 GTOs were manufactured for the US market. All V8 models with identical trim options save color. The parts that will need replacement in about a decade or so would be interior trim. Folks purchase and store new old stock or as new from wrecked ones. Well, have a T-type you know what parts you have had to replace over the years.

Mine is a keeper. I thought about a 5.0 a few months ago but decided to keep the GTO as it still appears nearly new. (I have a company car) Best to find a wrecked GTO with matching interior color and purchase the components for future use. Spare front bumper/fascia assembly is the other recommended parts purchase.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:46 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,288,738 times
I've had 4 people in my '06 Mustang (same interior room as the new ones) and have often had 3 total. No, it's not the same as the limo-like rear seat legroom in my 740iL, but it's doable for children or shorter adults back there.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:12 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
I have a 2012 Mustang GT and the back seat is useless. But it is only two of us and nobody will ever be riding in the back.
If they made the Mustang a two seat it would be considered a sports car rather than a sporty car and the insurance would be much higher.

If you need a car with a back seat don't buy a Mustang.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:13 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Or I could just keep my T type, it's as fast and definitely has rear leg room, just it's 24 years old and starting to show her age.
If by fast you mean straight line speed, then there is some truth to your statement. If you mean anything but going in a straight line, you should know that modern hot rods will drive circles around a T-type. I worked on a bunch of them back in the 80's, and drove them. My '05 GTO will out brake and out corner a T-type by a significant margin.

Quote:
Wow. I'd really hate to have to sell that thing off... but if it's your daily driver and your kid-hauler it's just not well-suited to the present task at hand.

I just bought a water pump for mine for $90. Many parts are cheap and easy to get, while some others will be more expensive and harder to find, which is expected for a low production imported car. But we are talking about a modern car, not something from the 50's.

I put very little emphasis on the parts availability issue. Realistically, how much is expected go wrong in 5-10 years of ownership? I certainly wouldn't be stockpiling body panels, as someone suggested.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:47 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,712,361 times
I own a 2004 GTO, and, as stated previously, there is plenty of room for two adults in the rear seats, although access & egress are a bit difficult.
The only caveat is that you may not be that comfortable if you are tall. I'm 6'3", and I have to bend my head down, or try to slouch to be comfortable. If you are 6'0", or shorter, you should be fine.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:59 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,171,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
I own a 2004 GTO, and, as stated previously, there is plenty of room for two adults in the rear seats, although access & egress are a bit difficult.
The only caveat is that you may not be that comfortable if you are tall. I'm 6'3", and I have to bend my head down, or try to slouch to be comfortable. If you are 6'0", or shorter, you should be fine.
I'm assuming you're talking about rear seat headroom. The GTO has TONS of headroom for the driver/passenger. I'm 6'7" and fit in the GTOs no problem.

Damn I miss that car.

Mike

Old 09-06-2011, 09:42 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,712,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
I'm assuming you're talking about rear seat headroom. The GTO has TONS of headroom for the driver/passenger. I'm 6'7" and fit in the GTOs no problem.

Damn I miss that car.

Mike
Yes, I am referring to the back seat.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:15 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,648,464 times
Is love a g8

Just to add look at caddy cts-v. They are really pretty affordable used.

Not that I have compared but the camaro I believe is based off of the g8 platform, so it might be worth looking at it. I believe the backseat might be bigger.

Also the charger srt8

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:25 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,024,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Oops you're right about GTO not being built since '06. I must have been thinking about the G8, which is a 4 door car.

I'm in the market for a newer high performance car but also I have a child and I want to ensure she is comfortable on trips. So while the Mustang was originally my cup of tea, I'm starting to think twice.

I never even considered the Camaro.

I have yet to really look at the Challenger's rear seat room.

I have heard the GTO can fit adults comfortably.

The G8 might even be possible.

Or I could just keep my T type, it's as fast and definitely has rear leg room, just it's 24 years old and starting to show her age.

I owned a GTO and the backseat is large enough for people. The seats need a supercharger to go forward and backwards. They're electric only (weird) and take forever.

I still regret selling it. Best car I ever had and while some people (ok most) thought the car was bland I loved the looks. Has great power and great as a DD. I drove from El Paso to Houston many times and it was a joy on long distances. So comfortable and smooth.

Out of all of them you could get it cheap with under 30k miles for well under $20k and still beat those other 3 cars you have listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive