Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 06:52 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times

Advertisements

You should also look at the Nissan Versa. Though small, I hear it feels huge from the driver's seat. It's also about the right price if you decide to buy new or nearly new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 05:40 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
Yeah, moving isn't an option at this time. I shouldn't complain, because my commute is jam-packed with people making the same drive, but it *does* suck.
Don't tell me - Savannah River Site, right?

If so, for people who don't know this place, it has some of the best paying jobs for many miles around, and 50 miles to work is about what most people have to do. The site itself is big, you can't live that close (would you want to live close to SRS?!)

Something to think about would be a 5 to 8 year old (roughly) Town Car, or Buick. They are less thirsty than you might think, plenty of room, enough power to get out of their own way but not enough to encourage hooliganism.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:55 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
Just to suggest, a pontiac g6 or a Saturn aura. You can still get one with a warranty(5 year, 100k). They sell for cheap because people are scared of them since the makes no longer exist.

They are both built on the same platform as the new malibu. I have seen 2007 and 2008 for as cheap as $10-12k and less the 50k miles.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:21 PM

843 posts, read 2,746,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Don't tell me - Savannah River Site, right
No, Sumter to Columbia.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. All the car lots were actually closed Monday (odd), so I plan to do some looking around this Saturday but think I pretty much have it narrowed down. In talking with several people and doing some research I decided, when looking at the current used car market, that I'd be better off making some sacrifices (comfort, cabin space, etc) and buying new (compact hatchback) so that I'd at least have a fresh new warranty to cover/prevent any major frustrations over the next couple of years. I'll still check out some other models this weekend, but currently have my sights set on a left over 2011 Kia Forte 5-door.

I hate to send my money overseas, but I don't think I can get the price/payment low enough on the Focus hatch that I liked.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:31 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
I would get a new 2011 Elantra for ~$15k. You'll be able to justify the new car when it's getting 38-40MPG on your commute.

Chevy Cruze Eco if you want domestic.

But JFC.....move! Two hours+ commuting a day to and from work is insane. That's 480hours a year in your car just for work, or 20 days...almost a month!

Old 09-08-2011, 09:38 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
I'd vote Ford Focus. It has many of the same bells and toys at the Escape. Sync and all. It is a 35MPG car and the ones I have sat in are plenty roomy. I stand 6 foot all. They are a reliable car that looks pretty sharp IMO.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:20 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,082,292 times
Quote:
So I started looking at hatches (I've always been a wagon/hatchback lover, so if I'm going to go compact, then I'd prefer a hatch).
I just got rid of my '09 Accord for an '07 Ford, I mean... Mazda 3 hatchback to save some money and I love it. I got the manual tranny and I can drive so that I feel like I'm going fast while not actually speeding (much). I might feel bad if I had to fit three or four other adults in there with me on a regular basis, but I don't. And there's sufficient room in back for being a compact. There's quite a bit of storage with the rear seats down, too.

Forget the SUV, LONG LIVE WAGONS!!!

Old 09-09-2011, 12:41 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,012,837 times
Quote:
I'll still check out some other models this weekend, but currently have my sights set on a left over 2011 Kia Forte 5-door.
Just make sure you take it on the highway for 10-15 minutes. I've had those small Kias and Hyundai's as rentals and they get really tiring on the highway. Take a look at the Focus and Corolla sized cars, I think they are much better highway cruisers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive