Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 10:08 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
70? The woman who hit me at an intersection was under 25. Her cell phone was in her hand, she had makeup on one eye, told me that she had been in a hurry because she was late to meet a friend for a day trip.

People are viable into their 60's, 70's, 80's, some until 90's. I agree that maybe there should be some sort of driving test, eye test after a certain age but, I don't trust the 25 year olds to run the program.

Conversely, I was involved in a wreck with an elderly woman when I was 17. She pulled right out in front of me, hit me, knocked me in a ditch, and drove off. When they found her at a grocery store a couple blocks away and told her(and even showed her where her front bumper was almost tore completely off) that she had hit someone, she was shocked. She had no idea she hit anyone.

You totally missed the point though. I'm not saying young drivers never make mistakes, but those are the people we have restricted now as far as when they can drive. I dont disagree with that, but there's 2 extremes that I think should be dealt with: The young/new driver who wants to play with their ipod, eat food and talk/text on their phone, but also the elderly people who dont hear as well, see as well, and whose reaction times make things more dangerous than normal when they are around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 10:58 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,793 times
Lets get back to statistics, the safest demographic is older folks, you which group is the most dangerous ? 18-26 year old males, then comes females of that age group.

Age is just a number, restricting someone's activity just because they have been on this world X years is not reasonable.

I feel the driving age should be raised to 18 and everyone should be required to take a driver's training class, not these quickie classes they have for teens but a REAL driver's training class; how to handle adverse road conditions, a quick stop/accident in front of you, loss of traction on your vehicle, rapid deflation of one of your tires, etc.. Most people get "on the job training" for these things, this can be expensive and/or deadly.
Maybe use some type of simulator Driving Simulators - Fun Stuff at DMV.org: The Unofficial DMV Guide .

Can't afford it? Sorry, you can't afford to drive.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:36 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
A drivers license has nothing to do with safe driving. It's just a form of taxation.
Well, you do have to be able to drive a car to some extent, and pass a written test. If it was strictly for taxation, you would pay the fee, and get issued a license.

Hunting and fishing licenses are more applicable to your statement.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:59 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Those of you demanding that drivers pass an astronaut's test for physical fitness to get a DL will change your tune in a big hurry, when you find that you're a single-parent with three kids and a 15 mile commute to work, and you can't get a drivers license because you've lost partial hearing in one ear, or have carpal tunnel, or something.

Isn't it wonderful to think that you're superman, and nothing will ever happen to you. I wanna see how fast YOU run down to the DMV and hand in your license on your 65th birthday.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:06 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Age is just a number, restricting someone's activity just because they have been on this world X years is not reasonable.

it absolutely is when they become dangerous behind the wheel, which alot of elderly people become.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive