Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 05:18 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times

Advertisements

Here's a strange thing I found out today, but before I get into that, I'll give you a little background on how this came about. I had a flat tire on my 2005 Dodge truck on Sunday, so I replaced the wheel/tire with the spare, and put the wheel with the flat tire in the bed. I also noticed that the sidewall, close to the outer end on the tire is damaged, which is where the tire went flat, so the tire is not repairable. The tires on truck have less than 10,000 miles on them, and they have plenty of tread. The spare tire is also the same brand (Goodyear Wrangler) and size as the rest of the tires.

I took the truck to a tire store in Phoenix to have the spare tire mounted on the truck's custom wheel, which is the wheel with the flat tire, and maybe put a cheap used tire on the spare wheel. The guy at the tire shop looked at the tire and told me that they wouldn't be able to touch it, not even swap the tires. I asked him why and he said that a law was passed by Congress in 2004 that prohibits tire shops from working/repairing any tires that are older than 6 years (the tires were made in 2004) unless they have to replace them with new tires. I had a few doubts on what that guy said, there maybe a law passed by congress, but he probably didn't want to swap the tires, maybe because he couldn't make too much money on that.

Has anyone here had a similar experience, like a flat tire and a tire shop refusing to fix it because it was older than 6 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 05:25 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
I don't think there is any law forbidding the shop from mounting a tire more than 6 years old. This 6 year thing is a thumb rule, it's not like the tires have a "half-life" or anything.

Find a good used tire shop, they ought to be willing to fix you up.

The chains are the worst for BS like this IMHO.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:23 PM

448 posts, read 1,198,191 times
Yep, Same out here somewhat. Won't rotate as they indicate when purchased, if I've done my best to squeeze 60k out of my 50k rated tires. From now on i'm buying cheapest tires from those dudes, I'll make 'em last for 65k baby!!!!!!!

Service stops when they feel you need new tires and it's time to spend more money in thier GD store.
It's bull****!

Old 09-03-2010, 08:15 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
you will also have issue when you try to have a flat repaired as most places wont fix flats anymore.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Last year, I had to replace a tire on my '93 Toyota Previa, so I put the good spare on, and put my damaged driver in the spare well. It had never gone flat, but had a gash in it. The old spare was the original factory tire, never used, 16 years old. It was fine, even though it had been in the well so long it was rusted in place and they had a hell of a time getting it out. I drove down to the west coast of Mexico and back on it. Once it went low, and a tire shop found that there was so much rim corrosion, that it leaked a little around the bead. He took it off and scrubbed the rim and put it back on and it was good for another couple thousand miles, showing no detrimental signs. I probably put 6-7K miles on it, and it was still performing perfectly when I finally got rid of the car. I attribute its long life to the fact that it was in the dark under there all the time.

Find a tire shop where they speak Spanish only. They'll do anything you want, and only charge you half the price. There's a lot of them down here. I don't know how we'd get along without 'em.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:10 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Believe it or not.............

"Recent news reports about old tires failing has experts asking if tires should have expiration dates the same as many other products. Why? Because old tires are failing and killing people!

In a letter released September 22, 2003, a private safety group called Strategic Safety asked the National Highway Traffic & Safety Admin. (NHTSA) to investigate the problem of tire aging. The group says they have documented at least 20 accidents caused by old tires blowing out, 10 of which resulted in fatalities. Most of the lawsuits involving these tread separation accidents have been on tires that were six or more years old."

Tire Expiration Dates

Old 09-03-2010, 09:34 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
I have two tires that are over 15 yrs old that look like new. They were on a car for a yr or so...removed from rim and kept inside storage for 11 yrs and then remounted on two new rims and are still on the car today for the last three yrs. Storage is the key element for longjevity until the need arises. Put a tire outside in the rain/sun for a yr and then check it's condition.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:54 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I have two tires that are over 15 yrs old that look like new. They were on a car for a yr or so...removed from rim and kept inside storage for 11 yrs and then remounted on two new rims and are still on the car today for the last three yrs. Storage is the key element for longjevity until the need arises. Put a tire outside in the rain/sun for a yr and then check it's condition.
Since tires are made with rubber & oil ,both being organic compounds, how do you account for the decomposition of all things organic over time inside or outside???

Oh yes, looks ,or appearances, can be deceiving............ever hear of "dry rot"???

Old 09-04-2010, 11:54 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
...Find a tire shop where they speak Spanish only. They'll do anything you want, and only charge you half the price. There's a lot of them down here. I don't know how we'd get along without 'em.

Amen, brother.

There's tons of "Llantos usadas" (used tires) shops around here...usually in former gas stations. The amigos in there will hook you up!

Rumor has it that they pull teeth and perform minor surgery in the back room...but I haven't checked that out (I still have insurance)... LOL

One thing though, don't wear anything that has "ICE" on it....you'll clear the joint in seconds...

Old 09-04-2010, 12:06 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
I wouldn't want to touch a tire over 6 years old in the States, if it did blow, some ******* would find a reason to sue you for no good reason and put you out of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive