Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 11:17 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,427,328 times

Advertisements

I was driving to work the other morning, 5:30 or so, and the one other car on the road was behind me, with his brights on. I could barely see, they were bouncing off my mirrors and blinding me, making me see spots everywhere. He stayed behind me all the way to the stoplight. While I was parked I turned around in my seat and gestured like a maniac towards him but no dice. When we reached the next red light I did the same thing, with no result. When the light turned green I kept my car there, just turned around and staring at him, gesturing. When I finally moved he stayed behind me. We turned onto a multi lane road, he stayed behind me. I changed lanes and slowed down until he was next to me. I looked over and it was some dopey idiot who didn't even turn his eye, just kept driving straight ahead with his brights on. I got behind him and tailgated with my brights on him but he didn't seem to notice. I still am not sure whether he was being malicious or just half asleep. Either way, that drove me nuts more than any other driving thing ever has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 11:23 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,834 times
Those that change lanes or turn without signalling.
Those that pull out into traffic and basically stop, if you are going to pull out into traffic, GO.
Those that don't seem to understand speed limits(especially on city streets) are NOT suggestions.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:03 AM

513 posts, read 580,791 times
1. When I'm cruising down the road and you quickly turn off of a side street or out of a shopping center right in front of me, then proceed to accelerate really slowly and drive 10 mph under the speed limit. Be aware that if you pull this little stunt, I have no legal obligation to break to avoid hitting you. It is incumbent upon YOU to yield to oncoming traffic as I have the right of way. If your turning impedes my right of way and a collision occurs, you will be found 100% liable for any damages or injuries that result. So do so at your own risk.

2. People who think they can defer other people's right of way. Let me clarify... Let's say I'm traveling southbound down a main thoroughfare. Let's say you're waiting at a shopping center with no traffic signal to make a left hand turn onto the southbound side of the road. Let's say some "nice person" traveling northbound on said road and stopped in front of the intersection waves you on to go. Let's say you accept their waving you on and go just as I'm approaching on the southbound side. What do you think is going to happen? (FYI this did happen to me when I had been only driving for a few months. No I wasn't the one who turned into oncoming traffic, but my car was pretty messed up and I was pretty shook up seeing as I had been driving with my permit only a couple months).

3. People who crawl up a freeway entrance ramp and try to merge with 65 mph+ traffic at 35 mph. If you don't know how to merge properly, then just stick to the surface streets. It's people like this that cause deadly crashes.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:17 AM

2,420 posts, read 3,848,705 times
1.) When I'm behind a car with a nice two car length distance and someone jumps in out of no where.

2.) When people don't use their signal lights.

3.) People using their cell phone while driving especially texting.

-Cheers.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:05 AM

334 posts, read 520,542 times
1: passing me just to make a right

2: super s l o w right turns (where there os any type of hill or dip and the idiot feels it nessacary to go slow because they think they will tear up their car.

3: pretty much everyone else on the road

Old 09-09-2011, 06:32 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,087 times
1) You're stopped at a light in a dedicated left-turn lane. You're about the 5th car back. The light turns green and you're ready to go, but the four cars ahead of you are spaced so far apart, or in no hurry to turn, that it causes you to MISS the green light and now you have to sit through another cycle. For crying out loud, people! Bunch up!

2) "Lane Closed Ahead" signs mean that you should merge NOW, not wait until the last possible moment, thereby causing a bottle-necked traffic jam and longer wait for the people who merged when they first saw the sign.

3) Semi-trailers that have to go VERY FAST down the hill because they need all the momentum they can get to creep UP the hill. I realize they can't help it, but I'm usually driving along with my cruise control set, and it's so frustrating to get sandwiched in between trucks that can't keep a steady speed.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:29 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
People who tailgate. So that would be you.
What's your definition of tailgating?

Old 09-09-2011, 07:40 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
People who'll stop traffic dead to let someone turn left from the right lane, let someone driving 35 mph merge onto the freeway, etc.

People who don't go when the light is frickin' green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
people who drive but aren't me.
I'll amend this to say my #3 is :"People who don't drive the same way I do." Because there are a few out there who don't annoy me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Even Mexicans know how to say "Tranquila!", and they say if often.
Tequila, you say?

Old 09-09-2011, 07:48 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
1. Driving in the left lane on a highway (or any 4 lane road), next to someone in the right lane going the same speed. Hey, rocket scientist, the left lane is for PASSING! And no, it should not take 10 miles to slowly inch up and pass.

2. Tailgating. Just can't say that one enough.

3. Folks who run up the shoulder of a highway to get to the exit instead of waiting in the right lane like the rest of us.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:01 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,026,080 times
1. Not using turn signals where needed.

2. Pulling in front of me on the right lane and not turning at intersections where there is no dedicated right turning lane while I want to turn. If you want to go straight on, then why get in front of me when I slow down to make a turn?

3. Not giving space and rather speeding up when I flash my turn signals to change lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive