Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 10:07 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,694,054 times

Advertisements

There's a shift in America to vehicles that are slow, small, and generic. I was reading an article before I left for work about the 10 great vehicles you can't buy yet and ALL of them are just...BLAH. They're all small, fuel efficient, ugly, uncomfortable looking, and just lifeless appliances; can't wait to buy one? Says who?

I wonder if there will ever become a day where car enthusiasts like myself will have to resort to buying pre-owned cars because all the news one are just soulless garbage? I like my vehicles either big, fast, or old- NOT small, cramped, and bland. Who else agrees with me?

If it ISN'T a fairly big car/truck/SUV, a fast and low-slung sports car, or a classic...I don't think I want it in my garage!

Anyone else feel the same about the majority of new vehicles on the marketplace?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 10:37 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
What you're referring to is reflective of the buying public. More and more people view driving as a means of transportation. We view it as entertainment, recreation, even a challenge. The "public" looks at vehicles as appliances. We look at vehicles as art, and as examples of great engineering. We celebrate their differences, and enjoy all the nuances. Most people can't tell you what's under the hood, how many speeds that 'transmission thing" has, or if there's any air in the tires.

I've been involved with the audio/video industry for 25+ years. Since the advent of digital music and cube speakers, there has been a huge shift from audio performance (Hi Fi) to "how many generic songs can I fit on my Ipod?". People are becoming more satisfied with mediocre performance than ever before and convincing themselves that a crappy MP3 played through a $100 plastic speaker system actually sounds good.

We're becoming increasingly isolated from the experience of living.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:28 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
I disagree with the premise of this thread.

Cars today are quicker, more reliable, stop better, handle better, use less fuel, and pollute less than cars of even just a few years ago.

Yes there are more small cars today, but there is no shortage of larger vehicles. I don't buy the bigger = better argument and never have.

Most of today's cars that have been around for a few years are larger than ever. Today's Accord is far larger than the original - the original had 68 hp and weighed 2000 lbs.

I think criticism of bland styling is perhaps more valid because many cars include common themes (especially aerodynamics) into their designs. But I think lots of cars from yesteryear were downright ugly. They may have been more unique (remember US cars were re-styled almost annually for a long time), but many were ugly.

Today's 911 is a muscular beautiful car. The original was distinctive but the current one is no less so and a far superior car.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:50 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,002,224 times
Having a lot of "appliance" cars is nothing new, and there is still a lot of performance options, with more on the way. Is a Focus bland? Maybe... but the Focus ST due next year with a 247 HP turbo motor sounds interesting!

I think these days, there is more importance on functionality, which has shifted buyers from 2 door sporty coupes to sedans and hatches more.

Another factor is the economy. The mass public has less money to spend on new cars. With that, and gas prices being what they are, people are placing more of a premium on smaller, more efficient cars that suite their needs.

There will always be enthusiasts, and cars to cater to them. What those cars are may change over time, but they will be around!

Old 09-09-2011, 12:01 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,694,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I disagree with the premise of this thread.

Cars today are quicker, more reliable, stop better, handle better, use less fuel, and pollute less than cars of even just a few years ago.

Yes there are more small cars today, but there is no shortage of larger vehicles. I don't buy the bigger = better argument and never have.

Most of today's cars that have been around for a few years are larger than ever. Today's Accord is far larger than the original - the original had 68 hp and weighed 2000 lbs.

I think criticism of bland styling is perhaps more valid because many cars include common themes (especially aerodynamics) into their designs. But I think lots of cars from yesteryear were downright ugly. They may have been more unique (remember US cars were re-styled almost annually for a long time), but many were ugly.

Today's 911 is a muscular beautiful car. The original was distinctive but the current one is no less so and a far superior car.
The description you gave "quicker, more reliable, stop better, handle better, use less fuel, pollute less" almost sounds like you're buying a new appliance. What about STYLE?

The Porsche 911 is a beautiful car, no doubt but realistically, how many Americans can afford a BASE 911 much less a Turbo S?

What new vehicles under say $30,000 are actually exciting? Very, very few. In fact I can only think of the new Mustang which offers style and performance and can get the blood pumping.

The only new SEDAN I'd really have any ambition to own and can afford would be a new Caddy CTS. It's edgy, bold, and distinctive. Most others look like you're driving a bathtub- no style, no panache

Old 09-09-2011, 12:11 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
A car IS, in part, an appliance. The basic functions of a car are pretty boring - reliably get you from Point A to Point B. There is a long continuum of form vs function (throw price in there on as another axis), and a lot of people are looking for function first and form second.

Taste vary quite a bit, and I generally find the massive cars you prefer to be both ugly and boring and overpriced for what you get, whereas you find the smaller cars I prefer ugly and boring. Trying to make some over-arching statement based on your own preferences is mistaking the personal for the universal.

The push toward better gas mileage also is a push toward better aerodynamics and lighter cars, which results in a similarity of styling, as well.

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 09-09-2011 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: added

Old 09-09-2011, 12:12 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,107,040 times
I take mine with plenty of torque.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:22 PM

404 posts, read 904,419 times
camaro and challenger also come to mind as far as style goes. bmw 1 series and audi a4, while compact, are quite distinctive and can perform for just a hair over 30k. what about mazda rx-8?

While I tend to agree with you that the general public is moving towards more compact economy cars, I don't think the number of stylish sporty cars has decreased as significantly as you think. Marketed less maybe

Old 09-09-2011, 12:43 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
The article was about the vehicles you can't buy yet. The kinds of cars that you like are easy to market in accordance with US laws. It's the small efficient ones that have trouble meeting safety and emission standards. So nothing is stopping the availability of the cars you like,and the industry keeps on making them and selling them--- however regulations are stopping the cars you don't like, which are the subject of the article that frightens you. I would expect you to applaud that.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:00 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,339,906 times
I completely disagree with the OP, there are plenty of un, comfortable, exciting cars today as well as the "appliance" cars, but that's no different from years past, a Corolla has always been a Corolla, so to speak.

Could you clarify by pointing to the cars of early that were such significant style icons in the economy section, that are sorely lacking today, particularly find some from the 80's, if you don't mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive