Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2011, 06:56 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,204 times

Advertisements

The motor pics start at the 1 minute mark in this clip :
big motors - YouTube

What an awesome display of engineering . It looks so professionally done. Quite unbelievable...would love to see it run. And....on a 1st Gen. Camaro no less. Wow. What do u think of the concept ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 07:14 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,343,711 times
It doesn't seem to fit very well....

I've seen a few Turbo/Supercharger configurations and one Twin Turbo/Supercharger Subaru Impreza, seems to be a pretty drivable configuration on those cars, but not something that's necessarily needed as oppose to other set ups.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:41 AM

859 posts, read 2,828,901 times
While the time and money spent there is impressive I'm sure that both of those cars are show and cruise only. I've seen various twin turbo with blower setups and while they do work they are unnecessary.

A couple of years ago a good friend of mine had a hellion twin turbo kit installed on his 08 Shelby mustang. The car was fast But never really made sense to me or any of our other turbo guys. The car had been dynoed several times and made right around 800 rwhp at 16 psi. The tune was very safe. We removed the blower and all The crap that went with it. Put a mildly ported nav intake, added an a/a intercooler and redid The piping. A couple weeks later The car was re-dynoed and made more power without The blower at The same 16 psi. The increase wasn't huge but intake temps were 70 degrees lower on the first run and more than 100f cooler than the third run. Clearly there is more room for timing now which will increase power.

On a typical 7 or 8 sec race car a single turbo is all that is required. To make a snappy street car I always recommend a smaller pair of twins for better spool up. If parts are selected properly there is no reason for a blower or nos to increase low end response. My opinion is these are band-aids for poor planning.

Last edited by johna01374; 09-10-2011 at 08:31 AM..

Old 09-10-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
While Tge time and money spent there is impressive I'm sure that both of those cars are show and cruise only. I've seen various twin turbo with blower setups and while they do work they are unnecessary.

A couple of years ago a good friend of mine had a hellion twin turbo kit installed on his 08 Shelby mustang. The car was fast But never really made sense to me or any of our other turbo guys. Tge car had been dynoed several times and made right around 800 rwhp at 16 psi. The tune was very safe. We removed the blower and all The crap that went with it. Put a mildly ported nav intake, added an a/a intercooler and redid The piping. A couple weeks later The car was re-dynoed and made more power without The blower at The same 16 psi. The increase wasn't huge but intake temps were 70 degrees lower on the first run and more than 100f cooler than the third run. Clearly there is more room for timing now which will incease power.

On a typical 7 or 8 sec race car a single turbo is all that is required. To make a snappy street car I also recommend a smaller pair of twins. If parts are selected properly there is no reason fir a blower or nos to increase low end response. My opinion is these are band-aids for poor planning.
I doubt he could use the car for cruising on the streets as it wouild have to be illegal given the severe vision restriction of the motor from the cab. Car shows....yes, but would have to be trailored in all liklihood. Setting aside its practicality, its certainly a neat conversation piece and you have to give him kudos for the build . I think he did an exceptional job at getting it all to fit in ... and if he is able to make it run reasonably well thru painstaking tuning... then that too is a success. He obviously had LOTS of disposable income .

Old 09-10-2011, 08:35 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
The motor pics start at the 1 minute mark in this clip :
big motors - YouTube

What an awesome display of engineering . It looks so professionally done. Quite unbelievable...would love to see it run. And....on a 1st Gen. Camaro no less. Wow. What do u think of the concept ?
That could be the same car I saw at the Auto Fair at Charlotte Motor Speedway last April. It was running and had a big group of people around it so I didn't get a good look at it.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:35 AM

859 posts, read 2,828,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
I doubt he could use the car for cruising on the streets as it would have to be illegal given the severe vision restriction of the motor from the cab. Car shows....yes, but would have to be trailered in all likelihood. Setting aside its practicality, its certainly a neat conversation piece and you have to give him kudos for the build . I think he did an exceptional job at getting it all to fit in ... and if he is able to make it run reasonably well thru painstaking tuning... then that too is a success. He obviously had LOTS of disposable income .

This is true. Some states will ticket you for obstructed vision for simply having something hanging from the rearview mirror while others will let you drive anything. Wisconsin for instance has about the loosest regulations in the northern half of the country and I'm sometimes shocked by what I see on the road up there. Watching that video again I notice that there is a lack or street legal items like wipers and etc. Odds are you are correct and these are trailer queens... Too bad really. They would be really nice cars without all that crap sticking out of the engine comp.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:39 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
This is purely show car nonsense.

Sort of like DONK cars for Whitey. I would not give a second look at any show and as far as at the track any good running twin turbo would put either of these cars in the weeds.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:14 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
Mike Moran did it years ago.. + I remember a pro street car in the late 70's with twin turbos and a blower and nos. Car Craft did a lot of coverage in it

Twin-Turbo Big-Block Chevy - Mike Moran's 3,700HP NHRA Pro Mod Engine - Car Craft Magazine

Old 09-10-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Mike Moran did it years ago.. + I remember a pro street car in the late 70's with twin turbos and a blower and nos. Car Craft did a lot of coverage in it

Twin-Turbo Big-Block Chevy - Mike Moran's 3,700HP NHRA Pro Mod Engine - Car Craft Magazine
Insane hp . Id love to bang on that some sunday afternoon on a deserted paved road (with a bag of Depends of course...) .

Old 09-10-2011, 10:59 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
[quote=johna01374

On a typical 7 or 8 sec race car a single turbo is all that is required. To make a snappy street car I always recommend a smaller pair of twins for better spool up. If parts are selected properly there is no reason for a blower or nos to increase low end response. My opinion is these are band-aids for poor planning.[/quote]
The setup sort of reminded me of the makeup job you would see on a sixty year old hooker.
GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive