Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 12:26 PM

466 posts, read 812,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCPA View Post
Hard to believe my parents and us 4 kids were able to make do with the typical sedan when growing up. Heaven forbid nowadays!
Because this always comes up in these threads: Kids today are in REQUIRED car seats/booster seats of some sort and stay in them for a while (years). So squeezing four kids into a single back seat with none of them belted, or having them roll around in the cargo area (like I did in station wagons) is not an option. I have a toddler who is still rear-facing in a convertible seat. If I had twins right now, I could not get all three of them in carseats in one row.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack. But I don't think a lot of people seem to understand carseat issues nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 12:28 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,364,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna is the way to go period. I'd also give Chrysler TownAndCountry a look but they're not as reliable and the resale is not as good.
Too small and cramped, and not enough storage space. But then we have 7 people and 2 huge dogs. Four 4 and maybe 5 these are a great option. We liked the T & C better, but the do seem to have quality problems. They cost a lot less though and we found them more comfortable. Minis just are not that compfrtable on long trps period. We just pent 80 hours driving on a vacation trip and had a great time. It would not have been pleasant i a mini (but parking would be easier).

Old 09-15-2011, 01:18 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,254,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonata36 View Post
An Odyssey IS a van, at least in the context of this thread.
I meant as opposed to a full sized van like the Express/Savana/Econoline because the Odyssey is not a truck-based chassis.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-15-2011, 01:18 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,751,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCPA View Post
Hard to believe my parents and us 4 kids were able to make do with the typical sedan when growing up. Heaven forbid nowadays!

I also wish they would stop making these hulking vehicles. If you can't park it straight and between the lines, you shouldn't drive it. Pet peeve.

AND, off topic, the six of us lived in a house with only 3 bedrooms and 1 1/2 baths My parents would probably be charged with child abuse these days for making us share bedrooms! Funny how times and mentality have changed over the years.
Our family of six, mom and dad and 4 boys lived in a 2 bed 1 bath, no AC and never complained. Winter time snow would come in thru hole in wall and bad windows.

Also no AC in school.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
Our family of six, mom and dad and 4 boys lived in a 2 bed 1 bath, no AC and never complained. Winter time snow would come in thru hole in wall and bad windows.

Also no AC in school.
Something wrong with you. Our family of 7 live in a 6 Br. 4 Ba home with very little interior snowing and they complain all the time. You are unamerican! No complaining - - Indeed!

Old 09-15-2011, 03:30 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,375,509 times
I have a Tahoe LTZ with captain chairs. It's a great truck.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:49 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,608,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonata36 View Post
Haha, I grew up as a 6'3" teenager in the back seat of a two-door Grand Am!
6'5" 280 when I was 14... Middle and highschool, my dad had camaros... I sat in the back seat of it numerous times.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:44 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,481,007 times
If you concern is storage behind a third row seat, then the Suburban is you only choice. Even our Honda Odyssey doesn't have much rooom with the 3rd seat up.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:07 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,820,350 times
The Honda Odyssey has a ton of room, a couple more total cubic feet than the Suburban behind the front row.

It has 38 cu ft behind the 3rd row, while the Suburban has 45. Not a huge difference.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
The Honda Odyssey has a ton of room, a couple more total cubic feet than the Suburban behind the front row.

It has 38 cu ft behind the 3rd row, while the Suburban has 45. Not a huge difference.
Last i knew 45 is a bigger number than 38, but then I never really understood new math.

(Just joking, we know what you meant to say)

It is not about inches. It is about usefulness. I am not sure what the inches in a grand caravan are, but there is more useful space in the back than there is in an Odyssey. Odyssey is a great minivan, possibly the best one out there quality wise, but useful rear space and storage space in general are not its strong suits.

There is more useful space in a Chevy Express than there is in a Suburban. After packing dozens of various large vehicles for mission trips and youth group ski trips,I think that he useful space is:

Chevy Express or Ford Econoline
Chevy Astro
Ford Expedition
Chevy Suburban/Yukon Denalli (or whatever the GMC suburban is called).
Dodge Grand Caravan/Larger T & C
Then about tied are: Odyssey, Sienna, Dodge Durango and Chevy Tahoe.
Dodge Caravan and the smaller T & C

I have no idea where that odd looking ford van fits in. I have never seen one, let alone packed one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive