Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 01:31 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,336,338 times

Advertisements

I suffered some hail damage in a short (but obviously effective) hail/rain storm yesterday. Researching some dent repair locations, a few of them advertise that they'll pay your deductible up to $500.

Is this a scam or a "read the fine print" type of situation?

I'd love to have it repaired, as I don't plan on owning the vehicle forever, but I'm not so keen on paying the $500 deductible, and frankly, I'm not sure how much this will run either, there's 12-14 dents, mainly on the roof, hood and trunk lid and at least one on one of the front quarter panels. None of them are extremely severe though.

So what would it cost (ballpark)? So close to $500 that one might as well just not claim it? Or is it so labor intensive that it gets into the thousands? I can't really imagine that a company would pay your $500 deductible if the whole repair job adds up to $750.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 02:03 PM

17,207 posts, read 57,035,276 times
I have never done this particular type of repair, although in general the way insurance works in America, you are probably better off not filing a claim, since filing a claim will nix your "claim free" discount at least.

It could be that your insurance company waives the deductable if you go with a paintless repair, similar to how they will waive the deductible if you get a windshiled repaired rather than replace it.

Suggest you call your insurance agent and check if this is true. Beyond that I think the paintless dent guys would be glad to give you a bid.

BTW "quarter panel" refers to the rear wheel arch tin, part of the body proper, the front are "fenders" and still bolt on and off most cars although a few are welded into place. If there is a car out there with a quarter panel on the front, I have never heard of it.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:57 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,336,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I have never done this particular type of repair, although in general the way insurance works in America, you are probably better off not filing a claim, since filing a claim will nix your "claim free" discount at least.

It could be that your insurance company waives the deductable if you go with a paintless repair, similar to how they will waive the deductible if you get a windshiled repaired rather than replace it.

Suggest you call your insurance agent and check if this is true. Beyond that I think the paintless dent guys would be glad to give you a bid.

BTW "quarter panel" refers to the rear wheel arch tin, part of the body proper, the front are "fenders" and still bolt on and off most cars although a few are welded into place. If there is a car out there with a quarter panel on the front, I have never heard of it.
Blame translation problems, for some reason I didn't remember the word fenders, lol.

I believe this is covered on the comprehensive "act of God" part of the insurance, essentially anything that can't be blamed on anyone in particular, like hail, is considered an "act of god" and will not affect your insurance pay, nor no claim bonus.

Besides, I got USAA, and they're pretty bitchin' about these things.

I'll just give them a call I guess, I thought it worked the the way around, get a claim then file, which is relatively normal practice in Norway for minor things like this and windscreens etc (where the company replacing it are the ones who actually file for you).

Appreciate the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive