Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 06:12 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times

Advertisements

If you've purchased a car in the last 5-6 years, odds are you already HAVE a black box:

Quote:
The EDR is known commonly as a black box and has been installed in some vehicles since 1996. About 60 million vehicles now have them and 85 percent of new cars this year will come standard with a "black box," according to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates.
Car 'Black Box' Records Key Data - ABC News

Old 09-20-2011, 06:15 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
It's worse than that, anything with air bags has at least a rudimentary black box. 1996 is the debut of OBD-II, perhaps that black box is tied in to the emissions systems?

One more reason I am a dyed-in-the-wool Old Car Guy.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:19 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Just so everyone knows, Google knows more about you than the government does.

But maybe that was the plan all along... Notice how a private entity... the Federal Reserve dictates US policy now that it has the country by the balls thanks to debt, and Europe is no different.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:39 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Anonymized or not, I (still, I hope) have a right to go about my business without being spied on.

However, Onstar is a seller of services, that I have a right to buy or not buy, but if I buy, I buy on their terms. If I don't buy their service, they (probably) cannot spy on me.

How does Onstar perform their service to you, if they do not know where you are?

I am less worried about Onstar, than about auto manufactures (whether required by the government or not) installing black boxes in your car (with or without telling you).

The American people have become so addicted to toys and gimmicks, that it will be a piece of cake for Big Brother (whether in private or public sector) to persuade you to agree to have a microchip implanted into your brain. In order to protect you from terrorists, or make you G7 or G8 device-compliant, or make you eligible for things like bank accounts and social security, or get discounts at the supermarket.

At what point, as the juggernaut rolls toward a police state, will people just say No, and stop throwing themselves under the wheels?
The problem is they can spy on you even when you cancel the service. You would need to remove the fuse/antenna.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:48 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,247 times
What if you never activate it when you buy the car?

Old 09-20-2011, 08:16 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
What if you never activate it when you buy the car?
All Gm cars come with the Antenna. If you have a car that isnt onstar ready you are ok, but if it is installed from the beginning you dont have a choice.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
All Gm cars come with the Antenna. If you have a car that isnt onstar ready you are ok, but if it is installed from the beginning you dont have a choice.
What I meant was if I never pushed the little blue button in the first place.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
What I meant was if I never pushed the little blue button in the first place.
That just means you cant connect with OnStar, doesnt mean they cant activate the system from their end and monitor much of your conversations or whereabouts.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

I am less worried about Onstar, than about auto manufactures (whether required by the government or not) installing black boxes in your car (with or without telling you).

The American people have become so addicted to toys and gimmicks, that it will be a piece of cake for Big Brother (whether in private or public sector) to persuade you to agree to have a microchip implanted into your brain. In order to protect you from terrorists, or make you G7 or G8 device-compliant, or make you eligible for things like bank accounts and social security, or get discounts at the supermarket.

At what point, as the juggernaut rolls toward a police state, will people just say No, and stop throwing themselves under the wheels?
The Event Data Recorders have been used in courts to solve who was to blame for traffic accidents, as these devices give a plethora of motor vehicle operation.
AS for the chip in the head that will give you all the information that you now get from your tech devices by merely thinking about it?its coming in the very near future,the only hold up at this point is the brain to internet interface, just imagine the implications of technologically augmented individuals eg; job applications? for those not enhanced dont even bother applying,will technology get so complex that only those with the implants be able to understand various aspects of the new techno life or have access to it.?
As for people resisting modern technology?, not a chance,their addiction to technology is now entrenched and any new techno gizmo is a new higher impact techno fix,as observed by the lineups to get the newest I-thing.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
their addiction to technology is now entrenched and any new techno gizmo is a new higher impact techno fix,as observed by the lineups to get the newest I-thing.
Not me. I'm about at my technological limit. My phone makes me type the number 3 three times to make a C. I'm fine with that. I don't even want a phone with a QWERTY keyboard. Any other social media past Facebook? Naah, I'm done with that. I'm not migrating to Google Plus. iPhone? Never. iPad? I used one once at a trade show, it was neat, but it's not me.

I bet those people would queue up to jump off the Empire State Building if you'd let them and they would most certainly queue up to be first in line to receive the Mark of the Beast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive