Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 05:10 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,544,993 times

Advertisements

a red light camera any kind of traffic offense?

i have been nailed 3 times by a new program (red light safety program) in Yonkers NY. I was nailed on 5/29, 8/21 and 9/1 for committing the same offense, claiming i am proceeding thru the intersection on a steady red and not making a complete stop if turning right. the dates and times are accurate and i was nailed twice at the same location(westbound) and once in the opposite location (eastbound).

there are no "no turn on red" signs at this intersection at all

my computer plays the j pegs of the license plate and position of my car for me but not the moving video so i cannot actually view if the car came to a complete stop unless i schlep to the PVB (yes oddly this is a parking violation and you don't get points on your license and it doesn't get reported to the DMV) to view the video. I have paid the $50 fines because it's too much of a hassle to fight these but if i get another one i will fight it because this has been enough already.

i could avoid this route but it has been my main route for the past 2 decades. it's the most direct

today instead of proceeding thru the light i instead drove thru the gas station which takes me to the other street and i was home free

is this a traffic offense? i recall when i worked leasing cars in 1986 my boss told me cutting thru a gas station is an offense but i don't know if it's actually so.

could a camera at the gas station catch me if i do this 5 days a week? the only people who might catch on if they could see the activity outside on camera would be those inside, but definitely no one outside as all it is is customers pumping their own gas

any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 05:12 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,981,028 times
Do you not have the ability to come to a complete stop before making your right on red?

Old 09-21-2011, 05:17 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,544,993 times
Default I probably do

as i have never had an accident or mishap in all of my 32 years of driving

however my nerves are another thing. no matter how much i try my mind is always on other things and i forget

Old 09-21-2011, 05:18 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,633,484 times
yes in many jurisdictions driving through a gas station parking area is a traffic offense, and beyond that it is dangerous as well. next time try actually stopping at the light before you proceed to make a right turn. you might also check your state and local laws regarding right turns on red. for instance in arizona a right turn on red is legal unless otherwise posted. in some states though a right turn on red is illegal.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:20 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,633,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post

however my nerves are another thing. no matter how much i try my mind is always on other things and i forget
ahh the old, "i am a distracted driver and dont know any better" defense. you need to learn how to put everything else out of your mind and concentrate FULLY on your driving. if you are constantly distracted, you will find yourself in a situation at some point where those distractions will cause you to have an accident, and chances are that accident will be your fault.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:46 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,299,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post

You should be riding the bus, you are a terrible driver and an crash waiting to happen.

Very simple the turn right on red requires you come to a complete stop before proceeding.

You deserve every ticket you get.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:10 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,799,877 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/autom...ht-before.html

Old 09-21-2011, 06:32 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,352,458 times
The police put up a fake radar unit here on a pole about 30 yards off the road to set off radar detectors and slow traffic down. It probably had 100 bullet holes in it before it gave up the ghost. A red light camera wouldn't last two days here.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:33 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,981,028 times
I'm sure the people at the gas station are thrilled to have someone with so much on their mind driving through the station.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:57 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,254,530 times
Avoiding a traffic signal, or control device, where enforceable by law is also going to be a moving violation if you're caught, and is going to be more of a headache than the revenue-based camera ticket.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive