Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 10:42 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

I have been representing bussman fuses for almost 35 years now as a distributer. I can't begin to tell you how complex fuse sizing and co-ordinating can be.

Things as simple as having a down stream fuse blow and never taking out a larger fuse upstream can be very complex to work out.

When it comes to fusing nothing is usually simple unless the manufacturer did the engineering work for you.

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-27-2011 at 10:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 11:39 AM

158 posts, read 907,354 times
Well I found the answer to my question. The fuse has to be 10% apm than the circuit current draw, kind of what I was thinking. So technically there would be a formula to figure it out. Thanks.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:45 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
OP:

If you intend to make auto repair your career, here's the same advice as in that other thread; know when to listen to others who obviously know of what they speak. It's OK to ask questions, there's a lot of knowledge here. Just don't argue with every answer you get just because you don't agree with it. You'll be amazed at what you can learn.

^^The voice of experience speaking^^

Old 09-27-2011, 01:36 PM

I asked a simple question that none of you seem to know the simple answer to. I'm not obligated to just take any answer as the right answer. I'm not saying you guys are giving me wrong information about the fuses themselves and the wires, but that's clearly not what I was asking. And I wasn't arguying, I was just saying your guys' information wasn't what I was looking for. Like I said, I found out the answer, regardless thanks for all your guys' info.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:52 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Not a way to figure. in fact it can be dangerous.

as an example If your load is 20 amp and you ran #12 wire the next standard size fuse is 25 amp and thats to big for #12 wire. in this case in order to go larger on the fuse you need to go larger on the wire to #10

Old 09-27-2011, 02:38 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedpuppet View Post
I asked a simple question that none of you seem to know the simple answer to. I'm not obligated to just take any answer as the right answer. I'm not saying you guys are giving me wrong information about the fuses themselves and the wires, but that's clearly not what I was asking. And I wasn't arguying, I was just saying your guys' information wasn't what I was looking for. Like I said, I found out the answer, regardless thanks for all your guys' info.

Damn, I hope I had a better attitude way back when.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:10 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,649,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedpuppet View Post
Lol... Seriously? I don't understand people like this, but I know enough and learned to just to ignore them the next time.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Not a way to figure. in fact it can be dangerous.

as an example If your load is 20 amp and you ran #12 wire the next standard size fuse is 25 amp and thats to big for #12 wire. in this case in order to go larger on the fuse you need to go larger on the wire to #10
The wiring isn't the problem though, you can choose the right wire with right length for the circuit. I understand that everything needs to be considered to construct the entire circuit to be built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive