Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 05:41 PM

158 posts, read 907,400 times

Advertisements

Lets say you're building a circuit. How do you figure out the amp for the fuse or the breaker. I know it's about 10% more than the amp going through the circuit, but what's the actual formula to figure it out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 05:48 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
E=IR?

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
E=IR?
No, that's not it. That's to figure out voltage.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:51 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
You'd need to know the resistance of said circuit as well as how many volts it takes to operate it.

Use an ohm meter to find the resistance.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:54 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
You need to know the rated amperage draw for start-up and working amperage of the device that you are powering.

From that, you can select the appropriate fuse that protects the circuit from an overload. You will need to use the correct size wire to deliver the power to the consumer.

You can use a "copper wire current capacity" chart to determine the minimum size of wire that will safely carry the amperage load for the distance from the power source to the power consumer. This is important to deliver the power to the device without an excessive voltage drop or heat damage to the wire. The charts are on-line or published in many reference handbooks.

If you are selecting a switch for this circuit, be sure to use an appropriately rated device. If there's a high amperage draw, consider using a relay to power up the device controlled by a low amperage draw switch circuit.

Ohm's law is applicable from an engineering design standpoint, but from a practical application standpoint to install an effective and safe electrical device, you don't need to be engineering the installation. Simply get the amperage draw info from the device maker at the rated system voltage (use 15 volts as a guideline voltage in a 12V battery car), and select the wiring, fuse, and switch in accordance with the numbers you obtain. Easy to do .... don't forget to use an appropriately rated fuse holder for your installation, too.

PS: an ohmmeter will not give you results that are meaningful in the automotive world unless you are measuring a static resistance load, such as an incandescent light bulb. Nor will it give you an accurate reading of higher current resistance loads on a circuit; ie, a voltage drop test across large cable or ground connections is a far better indication of a high resistant connection under load than a very small voltage load placed upon the connection by a VOM. Further, if you are looking at electronics, such as a computer or audio amp or radio or player ... you'll not see the resistance of the unit as these can vary for many reasons under actual load. Again, your best guide to the amperage draw of these devices is the manufacturer's rating.

Last edited by sunsprit; 09-26-2011 at 06:06 PM..

Old 09-26-2011, 05:59 PM

Good change lol I was about to correct that.

I know how to figure out the Amps, Volts, and Ohms. that's not my question.

If I'm building a circuit from scratch, and I my battery is xVolts, I use xResistor so I would only use xAmps in the circuit...now I need a fuse to protect the circuit, obviously it can't be same Amps as the current in the circuit. So what's the formula to figure out the Amps for the FUSE.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
You need to know the rated amperage draw for start-up and working amperage of the device that you are powering.

From that, you can select the appropriate fuse that protects the circuit from an overload. You will need to use the correct size wire to deliver the power to the consumer.

You can use a "copper wire current capacity" chart to determine the minimum size of wire that will safely carry the amperage load for the distance from the power source to the power consumer. This is important to deliver the power to the device without an excessive voltage drop or heat damage to the wire. The charts are on-line or published in many reference handbooks.

If you are selecting a switch for this circuit, be sure to use an appropriately rated device. If there's a high amperage draw, consider using a relay to power up the device controlled by a low amperage draw switch circuit.

Ohm's law is applicable from an engineering design standpoint, but from a practical application standpoint to install an effective and safe electrical device, you don't need to be engineering the installation. Simply get the amperage draw info from the device maker at the rated system voltage (use 15 volts as a guideline voltage in a 12V battery car), and select the wiring, fuse, and switch in accordance with the numbers you obtain. Easy to do .... don't forget to use an appropriately rated fuse holder for your installation, too.
Thank you, this is all very good explanation and good information, and I already know this. I know there is an actual formula to figure the fuse amp, which is what I'm looking for.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:13 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedpuppet View Post
No, that's not it. That's to figure out voltage.
Yes I know but you can derive any part of it with basic algebra.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:14 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedpuppet View Post
Good change lol I was about to correct that.

I know how to figure out the Amps, Volts, and Ohms. that's not my question.

If I'm building a circuit from scratch, and I my battery is xVolts, I use xResistor so I would only use xAmps in the circuit...now I need a fuse to protect the circuit, obviously it can't be same Amps as the current in the circuit. So what's the formula to figure out the Amps for the FUSE.
Your answer lies in the question: What safety margin do I need to have to protect the wiring circuit and the device that is being powered?

You need to consider the nature of the consumer and it's likely failure modes. A static load might require a standard fuse of nominal capacity over the amperage draw, while a more sophisticated electronics circuit might require a fast acting fuse to protect it against transients. Other electronics circuits may use yet an entirely different type of fuse for protection.

There is no single "formula" for selecting amperage of a fused circuit that will apply to all situations automotive.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
There is no single "formula" for selecting amperage of a fused circuit that will apply to all situations automotive.
I'm sorry to disagree with you, but there is one, otherwise I wouldn't be asking. I have common sense and I can figure out what kind of fuse I'd need, that's not the problem. So hopefully someone here will be able to tell me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive