Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 09:51 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Yank the battery and bring it inside, with a trickle charger on it. You can put it in the basement but keep it off of the concrete floor or any metal shelving. (it will discharge if left in these surfaces)

absolutely will most not discharge. Old wives tale.. Look it up.. Here is a thread on this already

//www.city-data.com/forum/autom...l#post21144667
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 10:24 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
absolutely will most not discharge. Old wives tale.. Look it up.. Here is a thread on this already

//www.city-data.com/forum/autom...l#post21144667
Yeah, I asked about that in another thread a couple of days ago but already knew the answer. I just wanted to see if anyone could come up with any sort of legitimate reason.

I've been hearing don't set a battery on concrete forever but no one seems to know why you shouldn't.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:28 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,171,657 times
In a perfect world you are right.
I read things like this and chuckle.

"Modern battery cases are made of polypropylene or hard rubber. These cases are sealed better, so external leakage-causing discharge is no longer a problem, provided the top of the battery is clean and free from wet or dried electrolyte and the same temperature as the floor."

All Modern lead acid batteries have vents even if they say they are sealed.
The corrosion found on your terminals is a testament to this leak/venting.

" free from wet or dried electrolyte"
Then it has a leak.

In other words they still leak.
also basement floors can be damp places.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:32 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Sounds like it just went off warranty, what do you suppose was the cause of the engines demise.I never heard of such a new vehicle blowing an engine.
i'll just add Kia to, my list of auto manufacturers to avoid, it will join Ford and VW

Old 10-07-2011, 01:19 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
You may want to consider selling the battery to someone who can use it, and buy a new one when you put the car back on the road.

Consider putting some stabilizer (Sta-bil or similar) into some fuel in jugs, use this to fill the gas tank up to minimize the air and condensation in the gas tank.

Yeah, get it inside if you possibly can, or at least under some sort of roof.

If you can figure out how to run the fuel pump without starting the engine, typically you can pull the fuel pump relay and use a switched, fused jumper to turn the FP on, running the fuel pump say once a month might help. Although if you are going to do this, nix the idea about selling the battery, you will need to keep the battery and put it on a Battery Tender or similar. Or you will need to "borrow" a battery from any other 12V vehicle.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:05 PM

120 posts, read 671,822 times
mostly good advice. put a dessicate in the car to keep the humidity out of the cabin. I wouldn't put it on blocks unless you know its not going to wear out suspension pieces. On my car for instance, having the suspension on 'full droop', aka jacked up, is not good for the bushings. Unless you know that isn't the case for you, you are probably better off just inflating the tires to max pressure.

Also, close all vents in car and plug holes (like exhaust). Your most likely failure isn't some part deteriorating over the next year, its mice getting in and chewing through electrical components or anything else... and if they die, good luck getting that stink out

Old 10-08-2011, 02:16 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You may want to consider selling the battery to someone who can use it, and buy a new one when you put the car back on the road.

Consider putting some stabilizer (Sta-bil or similar) into some fuel in jugs, use this to fill the gas tank up to minimize the air and condensation in the gas tank.

Yeah, get it inside if you possibly can, or at least under some sort of roof.

If you can figure out how to run the fuel pump without starting the engine, typically you can pull the fuel pump relay and use a switched, fused jumper to turn the FP on, running the fuel pump say once a month might help. Although if you are going to do this, nix the idea about selling the battery, you will need to keep the battery and put it on a Battery Tender or similar. Or you will need to "borrow" a battery from any other 12V vehicle.
Sea Foam is actually better than Sta-bil for preserving fuel. Gas can actually last for some time before it goes bad. This reminds me, I need to get some sea foam for my mustang.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:30 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sounds like it just went off warranty, what do you suppose was the cause of the engines demise.I never heard of such a new vehicle blowing an engine.
i'll just add Kia to, my list of auto manufacturers to avoid, it will join Ford and VW
You are going to eliminate a whole manufacturer without knowing how the car was treated or what kind of maintenance was done?

Maybe the owner never changed the oil.
Maybe they drove like they were driving a Grad Prix race.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
You are going to eliminate a whole manufacturer without knowing how the car was treated or what kind of maintenance was done?

Maybe the owner never changed the oil.
Maybe they drove like they were driving a Grad Prix race.
I might consider Kia as they make some nice looking cheap vehicles, however its going to depend on what the op says caused the engine to catastrophically fail, If he did all maintenance correctly and his reward was a 4yr old car with a blown motor, id probably look elsewhere if i was in the market for an economical ride.

What say you op?

Old 10-08-2011, 06:31 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
I've been hearing don't set a battery on concrete forever but no one seems to know why you shouldn't.
The reason you don't store a battery on a concrete floor is not because it will discharge the battery, but the cold concrete will suck the warmth from the battery.
The battery operates at maximun efficiency when warm. Suck 30-40 degrees from it and it isn't at it's highest efficency. If you do store it on a cold floor, put it on a charger and warm it back up.
That isn't so important today as it was years ago when batteries weren't as good as the ones produced today, but I still put a piece of plywood under mine when placed on the floor, old habits die hard...
I also live in Calif, where the concrete doesn't get as cold as the concrete in Montana...!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive