Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 05:50 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times

Advertisements

So I took my car in for an oil change last week and was told there is oil leaking out of a main seal. (Im assuming the seal is dried out due to the desert climate out here in Las Vegas)

I actually checked it today (car had been parked for roughly two hours) The leak didnt seem too bad, only a few drops but enough to notice it. I wiped a paper towel on the pavement and saw it was the color of motor oil

I added some Bardahl brand No smoke+Stop Leak directly into the crankcase, and I am going to see if that actually stops the leak. I noticed after adding the super gooey stuff to the engine, the motor sounded smoother and more refined

If this stop leak doesnt work, how much am I looking at to replace the seal? Not sure if its a front or rear seal, but it is towards the bumper when it hits the ground

And like I said, the leak doesnt seem to bad, I checked the oil and the oil level didnt appear to be low at all

But yeah, if I have to replace the seal how much am I looking at? Its a 2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 06:01 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
This is typical oil change monkey nonsense. Try using Castrol High-Mileage oil in the correct weight for your car.

Bottom line is that this is not worth fixing. Unless you are leaking a massive amount of oil and plan to keep the car forever, just try the Castrol oil next oil change.

If you have occasion to remove the transmission for some other reason, then you might want to change the main seal.

Most Detroit Iron cars from the 60's and 70's would drip a bit from the rear main seal, once they got say 20-40K miles on them.

The cost to change the main seal if you really want to insist would be something in the $1500 range. It would only make sense when you need to pull the transmission to replace it with a rebuit unit.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
This is typical oil change monkey nonsense. Try using Castrol High-Mileage oil in the correct weight for your car.

Bottom line is that this is not worth fixing. Unless you are leaking a massive amount of oil and plan to keep the car forever, just try the Castrol oil next oil change.

If you have occasion to remove the transmission for some other reason, then you might want to change the main seal.

Most Detroit Iron cars from the 60's and 70's would drip a bit from the rear main seal, once they got say 20-40K miles on them.

The cost to change the main seal if you really want to insist would be something in the $1500 range. It would only make sense when you need to pull the transmission to replace it with a rebuit unit.
Is High mileage really nescessary? My odometer reads 101k, but the motor has 40k. The original died in 2009 (pre cat failure, common problem on 03 Alties) and since pre cats are covered for 80k, Nissan put in a 2009 2.5 motor with no miles on it

They also told me my the side pan of the transmission is leaking. (no evidence of a leak on the ground) They also told me my radiator hoses are bad, and something else was bad (cant remember what, the paper isnt in front of me)

I dont think I will go to them for an oil change anymore, the place was called Sun Auto Service, that was only the 2nd time I've been there, and both times they told me my car needed major work

I usually go to a local Nissan dealership called Desert Nissan for oil changes, and they never try to rip me off like this. I had a similar situation with Big O Tires in June 2010 when I first relocated to Las Vegas from Orlando. Big O said I needed about $500 worth of work. Had Desert Nissan take a look, told me nothing was wrong

I only stopped going to Desert Nissan because $36 for a regular oil change seems like too much. But since they have taken good care of me and have yet to rip me off, I am now willing to spend the extra money than go back to a cheaper place that tells me I need unecessary and very expensive work done

My car runs as good as ever

Old 10-11-2011, 06:13 PM

In my experience the Castrol High-Mileage oil tends to swell seals a bit and can reduce oil leakage. It does cost a bit more than the regular oil though.

Can't you DIY your oil changes?

Find a good independent shop if your wrench turning skills are minimal.

I think these guys are trying to scam you because apparently you don't know much about cars...

Old 10-11-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
In my experience the Castrol High-Mileage oil tends to swell seals a bit and can reduce oil leakage. It does cost a bit more than the regular oil though.

Can't you DIY your oil changes?

Find a good independent shop if your wrench turning skills are minimal.

I think these guys are trying to scam you because apparently you don't know much about cars...
Thank for the tip on Castrol High Milage, I'll take a look into it

Dont have the tools for DIY oil changes, otherwise I would. I know where the filter is located as well as the plug for the oil pan

I love cars, and I have a general knowledge of mine, but you're right I really dont know too much

I have a really good friend who is CONSTANTLY working on cars and I've let him work on mine, and although he is not certified he does excellent work. He has installed brake pads for me, replaced fuses, tranny and brake fluid flushes

Oh and in addition to all these leaks this shop claims, they claim my rear brake pads are on backwards

Finding a good independent shop is hard in Las Vegas, it seems like everybody out here is trying to hustle you

I was lucky enough to find a good independant body shop, I still need my driver side mirror and window regulator replaced. Gave me a good price on it

Old 10-11-2011, 06:31 PM

Surely you can change your oil at your motorhead friend's place. You need an adjustable wrench, and maybe a filter wrench, a catch can, and the new filter and oil. Not rocket science. These minimal tools will pay for themselves in a couple of oil changes. I like to use a couple of 2' long 2X6 boards as "mini-ramps" to lift the front of the car just a bit, gives more room to work without having the oil drain so far that it splashes. Bring your own tools, don't even ask to borrow his. Asking to borrow a tool from any real mechanic is just rude and not done.

Amazing observation that in Vegas people try to hustle you - who would have thought that?

Brake pads on "backwards" - are they trying to say the inner pads are installed on the outside, and vice versa? I guess there are cars out there that you can do this with.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I had a rear main seal changed on warranty, and the invoice (billed to the factory) was a bit over $1,500. That will buy a lot of oil to keep it full as long as it stays a slow drip. Just carry a pan with you, in case you park in the driveway of a friend that's anal about his clean driveway.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:44 AM

55 posts, read 251,295 times
The high mileage oils have additives the help the dried out/aged seals swell up some. It is not 100% and is just a band-aid fix but wont harm anything. Cost increase of the oil is only penny's although the oil change places will charge a premium it u use anything but the base oil that they buy in bulk.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:01 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
With only 40k on the motor the rear main shoudn't be blown. I would look at an underlying issue like blow by or a plugged up PCV system first. Not worth it to change it though, just check and add oil as needed.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:41 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,671,924 times
Other high mileage oil will work, too. Valvoline makes one, as does Quaker State. Ask the dealership if they have it on their menu; if not, you can probably buy some at Wal-Mart and have them put it in for you. (Check the owners manual for the correct amount of oil to buy; a five quart jug will probably do it, but some cars take a little more. The amount you're interested in is listed as "engine oil capacity with filter change" under the Service Station Information section.)

As for getting better prices at the dealership, ask if they have a current coupon they can apply, and ask if there are other ways to get discounts. A couple of dealerships around me offer coupons online, as well as discounts for scheduling your service appointment online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive