Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2007, 04:26 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times

Advertisements

I travel alot and damn Hertz always gives me SUV's to rent, they always "upgrade" me but I hate them. It's like I have to learn driving all over again, give the guy in front more room, take corners slower, stretch my neck backing out of a parking space. One guy in front of me in Boston cussed out the rental car guy when they tried to unload an SUV on him He said outright - look guys the last thing I wan't driving in downtown Boston is an SUV, give me a coupe.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 05:09 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,682,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd7I4 View Post
Actually, it's a common misconception about SUV safety. 1/3 of all highway deaths for ALL VEHICLES are due to SUV rollovers. Study after study has found SUV's more prone to vehicle accidents - Due to the high center of gravity, traditionally weak roofs, and inability to handle in emergency situations. Most cars are safer than the average SUV. Minivans, I think, are the safest.
It's also a common missconception that an SUV hauls alot. Sure you can get quite a few passengers (depending on the size of the suv.... I don't consider the Rav or the Sorrento...or the tuscon etc....SUVS...they dont hold anymore than a car) but as far as hauling furniture or anything I'd rather have a regular truck.....it holds ALOT more!! SUVS have to deal with the opening in the back which quite often is narrowed at the door opening....which means you can't get EVERYTHING in there. I went with a friend that has a Tahoe to go pick up some dining furniture and we ended up using OUR truck to pick her stuff up. One load too!!My husbands truck sits up just as high as any SUV....so seeing the road is not a problem either. I don't hate SUVS......just think they are overrated.

I was hit in a parking lot not to long a go by a Forerunner.....his bumper came off ....I had a small dent that wasn't worth fixing (I have a 300M). So there ya go.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:50 AM

612 posts, read 2,778,954 times
I love my SUV because:

We can fit two families in it to go somewhere instead of taking two cars.

My daughter can watch dvds in the back while my husband and I listen to music.

I can get $100s of dollars of groceries in the back and still have room for plenty of people.

I can take my two 85 pound dogs around and they are not panting in my face.

We have an Ikea store nearby and I can fit a whole room of furniture in the back! LOL

I'm everyone's friend to haul their stuff (can be good and bad).

Can drive cross country without feeling cooped up.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:53 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,687 times
I love my SUV because it is plenty spacious for me and my gear; because it has solid axles front and rear; because it has electric diff lockers front and rear; because it has a real frame; b/c it has plenty of torque off idle; b/c it has 4WD Hi and Low, open or locked center diff.

All of this allows me to /really/ get away from all the other moronic SUV drivers.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:11 PM

26,420 posts, read 46,591,155 times
A Subaru is a much better alternative to a "regular" SUV

Advantages:
1) Low center of gravity.
2) AWD
3) Excellent handling and visibility
4) 4 cylinder engine
5) Snow tires= unbelievable in snow
6) Good gas mileage (around 30mpg highway)
7) Excellent safety ratings (5 star front and side crash tests)
8) Side air bags
9) Roof rack is handy for hauling necessary gear. Decent size cargo area in 5 door hatchback and wagon models.
10) Good reliability.

Overall grade: A

Old 08-25-2007, 01:20 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,940,698 times
I borrowed my sis's suv after the hurricanes- it was great for driving through the flooded roads but I just find some of them to be absolutely monstrous! I disagree about getting a better view of the road because most of the near collisions I've been in were with people driving in some of the larger suv's. I don't know if it's a 'line of sight' issue but driving in a car is slightly different than driving in an suv but people just don't seem to take that into consideration.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:20 AM

27,347 posts, read 27,400,159 times
Ive had a few in my day. My Blazer, the Trooper, the Explorer, but personally there really isnt all that much more room than a quad cab truck. Same amount of storage space, only with a shell. And....I still get a pretty good view of the road. Example, my Dakota quad cab is the exact thing as the Durango without the shell.
Its much different than a car though. In a truck, you can be driving along at 75 and it only looks like youre doing 55, where in a car, 75mph feels like your on a nascar track. Just my own input.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:49 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,375,504 times
I guess we have the best of both worlds. I love my 4Runner - wouldn't give it up for the world for all the reasons stated and more. I also love my Prius. I never thought I could adjust to sitting lower but the visibility in this car is what sold me not to mention the gas it gets and the comfort.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:20 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
A good point. As far as driving something big, I would much rather drive my quiet and very smooth-riding limo.
How come Dick Cheney and G.W. Bush keep riding in a bumpy Cadillac Escalade when they can ride a smoother limo?

I'd rather drive my smooth Toyota Camry, Nissan Sentra, or Cadillac DeVille. That DeVille is much better to ride and a pleasure to drive than any SUV.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:40 AM

2,636 posts, read 6,650,253 times
Hmmm, yes. Safe for you but not the poor person who you hit head on. I don't get why they can't make more hybrid SUVs. Lexus have done it and it'd be a great way for people who still want to drive a 3 tonne brick to help the environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive