Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 08:34 AM

575 posts, read 3,137,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Not to mention that SUV's and most american made pickups are comfortable. I've been in Toyota's,Honda's etc and even the high end models are like riding on a board bolted to the floor. Plus, it's like the vehicles are made for people that are no taller than 5'11. I can't bend double just to get in and out and sitting on the ground and then standing up is a pain. Much easier to just step out of a SUV or truck!
Besides, if I'm going to pay in excess of 20k for a vehicle then I darn well will be comfortable!
I don't know where you got this idea, but I've ridden in American pick up trucks and American SUV's and Japanese truck based SUV's. The rides in them were not only jarring, but jittery and harsh when going over bumps. Many cars have independent suspensions (not leaf springs or beam) with wishbones and unique stabalizer bars which provide a secure ride and one that is also smooth and compliant.

Last edited by glxyman21; 08-31-2007 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 08:50 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,899,028 times
We owned two SUV's, both Nissans (one was even a beautiful Pathfinder LE fully loaded with leather and Bose), and although they handled fair enough, they had NO room in them for anything. I don't understand the logic that SUV's have all kinds of storage room. Even with the rear seat folded down, they have slightly more room than a sedan with the ability to fold the seats down. Plus, the gas mileage was horrible. I didn't like seeing the gas gauge actually MOVE while I was driving to work and back.

We have three kids, so we now own a minivan (Honda Odyssey). What a difference. The amount of space to move around in is astoundingly different. You can put down the 3rd bench and take out the chairs and you have as much room as a PICKUP TRUCK in the back. I've loaded our van up with 10 sheets of drywall and about 100 2x4's. 3 rows of seats (which most SUV's only have two). Better gas mileage, better handling (like a car), better in the snow than our old SUV's (even though they had 4wd), automatic sliding doors, seat height the same as the SUV's, more cup holders than seats , you name it, it has it. Plus, getting clients in and out of an SUV is much easier because they don't have to squeeze into the back over the rear wheel well.

Never going back to SUV's, ever. Can't wait until Toyota comes out with their hybrid minivan that supposedly will get 35 - 40 mpg. That will probably be our next.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:04 PM

455 posts, read 1,501,249 times
Oy vey... Let's break down the BS reasons that people claim that need to have SUVs.

1. They need to be higher up so they can see better.
Now, take a look at the reason they need to be higher to see better... that's right... it's because of the other monstrous SUVs out there blocking everyone else's view. No more SUVs mean no more blocked view.

2. Safer because they're bigger.
Alright, so I suppose they provide more protection if you hit a large animal. But the bigger reason is again, because of other SUVs that will demolish anything in their paths. If everyone has cars, everyone has bumper heights (well, at least they should) at the same level and can endure an impact as they were designed.

3. Safer because of AWD or 4WD.
This is one of the biggest misconceptions out there. Rarely, do either of these systems help in normal driving. Yes, they might help a little if you're in the middle of some natural disaster and/or actually go off-roading. They don't really help in keeping you on the road, more for returning you to the road if you mess up and end up in a ditch.

4. So you can have the ability to go 'off-roading'.
No. Just no. For most SUVs these days, the most 'off-roading' they can do is driving across an open field. If you tried to truely go off-roading, you'll end up stuck or having flooded your air intake.

5. For towing.
Now, how often are you really out there towing things around? For the majority of the SUV owners population, the answer is never. For the ones that might actually do some towing, the AWD and 4WD don't really help there either. For real towing, having a FWD or RWD is actually much better.

6. So you can carry all the groceries you need.
Unless you're cooking for a family the size of the US Army, you're not going to need that much space. You're going shopping on a weekly basis (most fruits, veggies and bread are no longer good after that) so you shouldn't need to buy all that much. Even if you do get that much, vans are better because they are lower to the ground, meaning you have to work less to load and unload.

7. For toting kids/people around.
Vans are better for it if you're regularly transporting more than 3 kids that aren't allowed in the front passenger seat. You have more room, and it's easier for kids to get in and out because it's lower.

8. For moving large objects (that you put inside the SUV).
Again, how often are you really moving things around? For most people, it's maybe 1-2 times a year. Go for a station wagon (like the Ford Focus Wagon) and there won't be much you can't haul as well as getting around 30mpg. And again, minivans actually have more space, and are lower to facilitate easier loading/unloading. Even if there is something you move on a yearly basis, it's cheaper to rent a truck or van capable of moving it for a few days than to spend the extra $1-2k more in gas yearly.

For example. I live in a large house split into 3 separate apartments. The 2 other apartments are rented by 4 women with NO kids, NO spouses, NEVER go off road, and NEVER tow anything, work within a 15 minutes drive of the house, and drive the same snow covered roads in the winter that everyone else in cars manage to handle just fine. This covers the vast majority of SUV owners.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:15 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,959,753 times
This argument still going on? I think the general consensus from SUV owners after a page of pretty lame justifications is they reluctantly agree that SUVs are non-practical but they just like them, just like some people like convertables.

Has anyone heard that the ultimate SUV - the hummer, will be discontinued? The H1 is gone of course, the smaller H2 will be gone. I guess the smaller H3 will survive but it's a shadow of what they used to be, not really a "hummer". I think the SUV craze is over.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:22 PM

575 posts, read 3,137,165 times
I never heard of anyone needing an SUV so they can fit their groceries in. We've owned a Dodge mini van that was able to hold all our groceries, A buick Lesabre, Nissan Altima, and Audi A6....never had a problem or broken eggs or crushed bread..and this is for a family of four.

And I don't know what this thing is about "seeing the road", I can see the road just fine. Most accidents I've seen involve an SUV hitting a car. Just the other day I saw Chevy Trail Blazer that had rear ended an Acura CL. Of course the Chevy's bumper missed the Acura's bumper and smashed in the trunk lid and tail lights.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:06 PM

13,683 posts, read 20,833,861 times
Quote:
Oy vey... Let's break down the BS reasons that people claim that need to have SUVs.
LOL! Great post and so true.

I suppose if I actually lived on top of a mountain that was accessible only by dirt roads that were covered in snow in the winter, I'd consider an SUV. Personally, I think they bring out the worst in people. Nothing is more irritating than some 20 something racing down the road while yammering into a cell phone.

But ultimately the guy who started this thread is right. Its his money. His choice. I just wish SUV owners would stop bitching about gas prices every time they spike upwards. Common sense might dictate these things are gas guzzlers. Happy trails.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:16 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,911,560 times
A Ford Explorer has much more storage capacity than a Subaru Outback wagon, but not by some huge factor.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:09 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,689,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
We owned two SUV's, both Nissans (one was even a beautiful Pathfinder LE fully loaded with leather and Bose), and although they handled fair enough, they had NO room in them for anything. I don't understand the logic that SUV's have all kinds of storage room. Even with the rear seat folded down, they have slightly more room than a sedan with the ability to fold the seats down. Plus, the gas mileage was horrible. I didn't like seeing the gas gauge actually MOVE while I was driving to work and back.

We have three kids, so we now own a minivan (Honda Odyssey). What a difference. The amount of space to move around in is astoundingly different. You can put down the 3rd bench and take out the chairs and you have as much room as a PICKUP TRUCK in the back. I've loaded our van up with 10 sheets of drywall and about 100 2x4's. 3 rows of seats (which most SUV's only have two). Better gas mileage, better handling (like a car), better in the snow than our old SUV's (even though they had 4wd), automatic sliding doors, seat height the same as the SUV's, more cup holders than seats , you name it, it has it. Plus, getting clients in and out of an SUV is much easier because they don't have to squeeze into the back over the rear wheel well.

Never going back to SUV's, ever. Can't wait until Toyota comes out with their hybrid minivan that supposedly will get 35 - 40 mpg. That will probably be our next.
I agree completely!!! My husbands truck holds more than an SUV and it's not even that big. (Did you mean to say the mini van is easier to get people in and out?) I drove my friends Odyssey when I went home to visit....LOVED it. What a ride....and I'm pretty anti mini van too!! You picked a good one!!

Old 08-31-2007, 03:52 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,899,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post
I agree completely!!! My husbands truck holds more than an SUV and it's not even that big. (Did you mean to say the mini van is easier to get people in and out?) I drove my friends Odyssey when I went home to visit....LOVED it. What a ride....and I'm pretty anti mini van too!! You picked a good one!!
Oh yes, oops. Much easier for adults and kids to get in and out of the van than our Nissan Pathfinder was.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:27 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,963,537 times
With all due respect there is no way to compare a Nissan Pathfinder to a Suburban. I test drove the Nissan and the backseat space is HORRIBLE, the head room in the backseat alone was short and I'm not that tall or big. The Suburban has more than enough room to accomodate 6 full grown adults on long road trips and the 2nd row NOR the 3rd row seating DO NOT have the wheel well taking up space. Then the cargo area is MUCH LARGER than any minivan out there. If you need the cargo space in a minivan you must fold away the 3rd row seating. That is not always possible. Sure there are probably plenty of people out there that could get by w/ something much smaller than a large SUV but there are PLENTY of us that nothing else can give us the space we need on a REGULAR basis (so throw the theory of renting out the window in my case). Lordy, renting a large vehicle for times that I would need it, lol, I would be on a first name basis w/ the rental car people and spend more $$$$$ on rental than I have to own my SUV. Plus my SUV is probably in MUCH better shape than the rentals when it comes to maintenance.

I don't need to hear that you could haul such and such in your minivan or small station wagon. I can not do such w/ what I HAVE to haul several times a week. The suspension is just not in those vehicles nor the space. Then every week we end up towing something (Seadoo's, boat, car trailer, etc). I don't need to make excuses to anyone for what I drive and WANT to drive much less NEED to. Sure sometimes you will see just me in it w/ no kids, other occupants or cargo but do you KNOW for a fact what I had it in earlier or will later? No. Even today I had one large, bulky item that would just not fit in my smaller sedan be it the LARGE trunk or the empty backseat. I HAD to put it in the Suburban. After that delivery you would have seen just me and no cargo. Guess if ya'll don't like seeing me driving an empty SUV I could always just get one of the BIG trucks like the guys that work for us drive and use that Talk about REALLY hogging up the roadways and all, hehehehehehe

In the end, GET OFF OUR BACKS! So you personally do not NEED a large SUV, good for you. Then don't buy one or drive one. Don't take it that I'm all mad and have my panties in a wad as I surely don't. I actually am laughing as it is rather funny to me as I deal w/ these kinds of things (ignorance for the most part) when it comes to our business and the products we have when it comes to the general public.

Oh well, I LOVE MY SUV!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive