Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 09:43 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,705,265 times

Advertisements

Since we have enough people who bash SUV's, I thought it might be appropriate to list why I LOVE my SUV.

1) I have a better view of the road.
2) It can HAUL and TOW unlike any car could. I can fit just about anything I want inside and still have enough room for passengers.
3) I can comfortably haul 3-4 clients around.
4) It's much safer than driving most cars.

Too many people actively voice there opinion on what someone can and cannot buy. I don't see why ANYONE should be able to tell me that I cannot buy the vehicle I want, it's MY MONEY. You aren't buying it or filling the gas tank and unless you plan on giving me a $500 gas card, keep your opinion to yourself!

Sorry I had to rant, I had a bad experience tonight when I was filling up and I felt like getting it off my chest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 04:25 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,570,528 times
Awesome, speedy. I like being able to see the road ahead of me, and hate looking straight ahead into a license plate.
Biggest unit has right of way, so trucks are the only thing I submit to on the highway. If I'm to be in a wreck, I want to deliver the hit, not take the hit. Hey it's my wife and critters inside, and they deserve all the protection they can get.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:28 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
I agree speedy! My wife drives a Tahoe and she hit a deer last winter. As it was it caused over 3k in damage and wiped out the front end. All that happened to her was she was a little shook up. Had she been in a little cracker box it would have destroyed the car not to mention would have sent her to the ER.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:04 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,906,411 times
Actually, it's a common misconception about SUV safety. 1/3 of all highway deaths for ALL VEHICLES are due to SUV rollovers. Study after study has found SUV's more prone to vehicle accidents - Due to the high center of gravity, traditionally weak roofs, and inability to handle in emergency situations. Most cars are safer than the average SUV. Minivans, I think, are the safest.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:58 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd7I4 View Post
Actually, it's a common misconception about SUV safety. 1/3 of all highway deaths for ALL VEHICLES are due to SUV rollovers. Study after study has found SUV's more prone to vehicle accidents - Due to the high center of gravity, traditionally weak roofs, and inability to handle in emergency situations. Most cars are safer than the average SUV. Minivans, I think, are the safest.
Wouldn't some of the study above be influenced by driver ineptitude or lack of experience with the vehicle or what to do in an emergency? I think most of the SUV's handle just fine in emergencies, you do have to realize you can't crank the wheel all the way at 60 and expect it to stay upright but then again you really shouldn't be doing that in any vehicle.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:25 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,894,005 times
While I'm usually all over the bandwagon on loving my SUV right now I don't. Only because my 5 year old Suburban is in the shop and needs about $1500 of work done on it. URGH! But, I do LOVE IT!!! And hopefully it is out of the shop before Labor Day Weekend so that we can take the Seadoo's down to the lakehouse . There is not a vehicle on the road that can do what I do in my Large SUV: tow the Seadoo's, seat the kiddo's and ourselves comfortably, haul all that crap I need to down to the lake, pull the Seadoo's out of the water if it happens to be low and in the mud (4x4 ) and be safe.

On that rollover issue, it depends on the driver and the issues w/ rollovers on SUV's has dramatically improved in recent years. I've seen more passanger cars in rollovers than I have SUV's.

In the meantime I'm driving my comfortable little sporty sedan that has airbags all the way around it or riding in hubbies SUV (does a Porsche qualify ).

Oh, another reason I love my BIG SUV: carpooling . I'm also glad that MANY of my neighbors also have large SUV's w/ third row seating (that is not located on the back bumper). We carpool and there are hardly any other vehicles on the road that can safely transport 6 children to and from school. So when school starts next week around here instead of having FOUR cars in line for drop-off/pick-up there will only be 1 w/ all six kids.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:55 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,906,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Wouldn't some of the study above be influenced by driver ineptitude or lack of experience with the vehicle or what to do in an emergency? I think most of the SUV's handle just fine in emergencies, you do have to realize you can't crank the wheel all the way at 60 and expect it to stay upright but then again you really shouldn't be doing that in any vehicle.
Yes probably. People have to remember that trucks don't operate like cars - they take longer to stop, aren't as quick in a turn, don't react as fast as a passenger vehicle. You just have to add a greater margin of error when driving an SUV. Some do, most don't. The largest SUV's are based on truck based platforms still using 30 year-old suspension technology.

You bet the insurance companies know SUV's are more accident prone, even if people don't. Insurance rates pound per pound is some 20% greater for an SUV.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:54 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,328,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd7I4 View Post
Minivans, I think, are the safest.
Most likely, the larger cars, like the Lincoln Town Car and the Mercury Grand Marquis, are safer than minivans.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:05 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,132,790 times
I can't stand driving an SUV. Our family's main vehicle (not my personal car) is a Ford Excursion, and driving it is awful. It sits up way too high, has an awkward style of acceleration / braking that I'm not used to, etc. It basically feels like what I imagine driving a garbage truck would be like.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:54 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,328,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I can't stand driving an SUV. Our family's main vehicle (not my personal car) is a Ford Excursion, and driving it is awful. It sits up way too high, has an awkward style of acceleration / braking that I'm not used to, etc. It basically feels like what I imagine driving a garbage truck would be like.
A good point. As far as driving something big, I would much rather drive my quiet and very smooth-riding limo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive