Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 06:16 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times

Advertisements

We're running $3.85 most places, some higher than that. Now that I am taking the bus to work, I fill up about every 2-1/2 months. Two miles to the park & ride.

With an android t check news and e-mail, the time goes by fast, and I get the benefits of walking a mile at the other end. My employer subsidizes the bus pass but even if i paid the cost would be less than the gas and other expenses of driving.

Mostly though, it's nice to thumb my nose at the oil companies. At least until the weather gets really cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 07:05 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,193 times
The general public has been conditioned to accept $3.00 and higher gas prices I don't think we will see them much lower very soon.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:59 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Some of the reason why gas prices are consistently higher even when oil prices are lower recently has to do with the quality of the oil we are buying. More and more of our oil supply is coming from poorer quality reserves like shale oil and tar sands. When they refine the lower quality oil there is less of the "good" octane string hydrocrabons that go into making gas.

In the past this was less of a factor as well as there were additives like TEL and MTBE that were used to inflate the octane rating of the gas and allowed us to use lower concentrations of octane mixed with larger amounts of other carbon chains like butane and heptane. Since TEL and MTBE have been attacked for their polluting properties and largely replaced with ethanol, we need more octane chains to make gas.

So, we need more octane to make gas since we have largely banned the use of additives that had large pollution impact. The oil we are getting is of lower quality than "Middle Eastern Light Sweet" and we get less octane out of each barrel. Put them together and gas costs more even when oil prices are down below $100 a barrel.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:04 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,012,837 times
I was in Dallas a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't believe gas was selling for $2.99 a gallon since it was $3.70 in when I left CA (where I live.) I looked up the national gas price map and it only seems to be that cheap right around TX.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:22 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
There is no damn good reason why gas should be high.
I just paid $3.99 for a gallon of milk at a convenience store that is selling regular unleaded for $3.23 a gallon. Fountain drinks, the 16-ouncers, are $1.29. That's $10.32 a gallon, and it's half ice.

Buy bottled water in 12-ounce bottles, and see how much that is per gallon.

Think about where gas comes from. Miles underground, cracked in a very expensive refinery, shipped half way around the world to a station a few blocks from your house, all taxes included, cheaper than Coca Cola (water, corn syrup, carbon dioxide, artificial flavor and color).

Last edited by jtur88; 10-17-2011 at 01:33 PM..

Old 10-17-2011, 03:04 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,012,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Think about where gas comes from. Miles underground, cracked in a very expensive refinery, shipped half way around the world to a station a few blocks from your house, all taxes included, cheaper than Coca Cola (water, corn syrup, carbon dioxide, artificial flavor and color).
My car drinks a lot more gas than I do milk. Coke is a bad example because it's often sold as a loss leader to draw customers into the store. It's not hard to get a gallon of Coke for $2 to $2.50 ( two 2L bottles.)

Old 10-17-2011, 03:18 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I just paid $3.99 for a gallon of milk at a convenience store that is selling regular unleaded for $3.23 a gallon. Fountain drinks, the 16-ouncers, are $1.29. That's $10.32 a gallon, and it's half ice.

Buy bottled water in 12-ounce bottles, and see how much that is per gallon.

There is no raw material cost for oil/gas. It just has to be removed from whatever it's in.

OTOH I just bought two liters of Icelandic Glacier water for $2.50 at a convenience store. I seldom buy bottled water but forgot to bring the filtered refrigerated tapwater from home. I find it hard to believe that a liter of glacier water can make it from Iceland in a nice plastic bottle for $1.25.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:18 PM

475 posts, read 814,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
peanut butter is going up too.

No doubt! Bloody peanut farmers!
Club Soda went up 25% since last week too...better have the government call an inquiry.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:23 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,050,421 times
We have a few places here that gas is under $3 a gallon.

busta

Old 10-17-2011, 03:34 PM

475 posts, read 814,338 times
Up here in "tarsands land" (it's called oilsands unless you are a tree hugging environut.. then you call it tarsands) gas is over 4 bucks a US gallon. its called TAX...coming soon to you as Obamasiah will need to pay for all that free healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive