Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 07:29 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokes172 View Post
Well if you went out to buy one today you would be buying a Camry .

2012 Toyota Camry: Most American Car?

"The most American vehicle for 2012 probably isn't going to be a Ford, or General Motors product, or even a Chrysler or Jeep. It's most likely going to be the 2012 Toyota Camry. That's according to the federal government's annual U.S./Canadian parts-content figures, as posted on new-car window stickers and required by the American Automobile Labeling Act (AALA).
According to Toyota, the gasoline version will have a market-leading 92-percent North American-sourced parts."
In that case, I will just keep my old American cars. And if I decide to buy another one, it will be an old American car... with an American-car name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 07:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I buy the vehicle that suits my needs regardless of where it was made, but currently have two Fords and a Jeep. My Ranger was assembled in St. Louis, but the engine was made in Germany, the transmission in France.who know where other various parts were made? Impossible to call anything American made unless you pick it up t the factory.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:01 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokes172 View Post

Want American buy a Camry or an Accord.
Or you could be like Fleet and own the classics....I have a 1969 Nova that was built in Willow Run, MI and a 1987 Regal T that was built at the Pontiac, MI G body plant months before the factory shut down in late 1987. So yep these were hatched and crated right here in the U.S.

But I do agree with some of the others, but what you want....I actually kind of want a new Challenger, if I could get past the heaviness of them and the fact it's a Chrysler product.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:17 AM

106,578 posts, read 108,713,667 times
or a fiat product, not to be confused with a benz product.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:43 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Remember, if you buy used, your money only goes to the bank or the guy/dealership you bought the car from, not the manufacturer. So if you bought used from a guy in America, your money stays in America, regardless of brand/model of car.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:52 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Actually, last week I drove a rental Chev Aveo, and I felt a bit embarrassed to be seen getting in and out of the POS.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:21 AM

859 posts, read 2,827,956 times
We get into this argument with Dodge truck owners that come into the shop all the time. Seems like every guy that owns a Dodge feels the need to boast about his truck being American made by an American company, with American employees blah blah blah... That's right about the time my lead mechanic chimes in and says "hey man, I agree with you 100%. That's why I bought a Tundra. Next time you should buy one. At least it's built in this country"..

This really pissed off the last guy as he had his truck in to us for a trans rebuild at 105K. Trucks never been anything but a daily driver. Not a work truck, not a hauler. My mechanics Tundra has 190K+ and has been worked to death everyday of it's life with ZERO problems.

Hate to say it but if you want an American car buy a Camry.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:17 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Who gives a rats ass? Only those who understand the decline of the American middle-class is the root of most of what ails us as a nation and who see that the future for our children and grandchildren appears to be working for Bangladesh wages. The domestic automobile industry is what drove the American economy for decades and when it's gone, so is our future.

Other than that, why should anyone give a rats ass, right? After all, if I can buy a car a few bucks cheaper, what the hell? My kids and grandkids can be the first generation in our history to have no reasonable expectation of living a better life than their parents. If I aid the decline of the country they have to live in by buying foreign made products because they're cheaper, that's really their problem, ain't it?
Posts like this are so tiresome. You think consumers should buy an inferior product because it was made in the USA? I am not saying US brands are inferior now. But for about twenty years, beginning in the 1970s, American cars stagnated while imports, mostly Japanese, rapidly improved in quality and durability.

For most of the 1990s and newer, Japanese cars cost more than the equivalent American car. Consumers paid more for a better product. You couldn't get a discount on an Accord but you could buy an Impala for $5000 off.

American car companies, and the labor that built these vehicles, brought this all on themselves. Their design teams created terrible designs, negotiated their labor contracts, and the UAW workers built them.

In the meantime automotive manufacturers opened factories all over the US in non-UAW states. These workers are paid good wages and keep manufacturing in the USA.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:18 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
I like my new Mustang built in the USA with parts from who knows where.
The transmission is from a German company (Getrag) but outsourced to China. I can only assume the radio is from Japan but also outsourced to China. Since most of the fasteners are metric I can only guess they are foreign made.
So nice to have an American made car.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:23 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
We get into this argument with Dodge truck owners that come into the shop all the time. Seems like every guy that owns a Dodge feels the need to boast about his truck being American made by an American company, with American employees blah blah blah... That's right about the time my lead mechanic chimes in and says "hey man, I agree with you 100%. That's why I bought a Tundra. Next time you should buy one. At least it's built in this country"..

This really pissed off the last guy as he had his truck in to us for a trans rebuild at 105K. Trucks never been anything but a daily driver. Not a work truck, not a hauler. My mechanics Tundra has 190K+ and has been worked to death everyday of it's life with ZERO problems.

Hate to say it but if you want an American car buy a Camry.
After mouthing off to a paying customer, did your lead mechanic get to keep his job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive