Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 06:54 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,194,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3700 View Post

All I have to do is stand on the break pedal.
You kiss my tale-gate.
Why did I stop.
a deer, dog, cat, kid, old lady/ man was crossing the road, car pulled out, I missed my turn. etc etc You cant anticipate anyone's move.

This is just as bad as the motorcyclist tailgating you. Way to be the better man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 07:02 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,959,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I'd be willing to bet no one hates motorcycle tailgates as much as motorcyclists hate being tailgated. I usually do 5 over in the right lane and I'll still get people a foot away from my rear tire. My tactic is to gradually slow down until they pass. Usually by half the speed limit they've had enough.
Thats my feeling when I ride and I ride a lot. I hate being tailgated on my bike and I do not tailgaste cars, because cars are damn hard objects to hit. More over I live in bear and moose country and have nearly been taken down by bear and many moose.

At 50 mph I need exactly 111 feet to stop, and not one foot less on my heavy cruiser Nomad.

If a car/suv hits a moose and I am just 3 seconds back I will hit the vehical every time.

Other vehicals will often tailgate me on dark country roads where my 3 lamps forward are just not enough to really see well.

As to the OP he had a real enough fear and a he had a bone head up his tail pipe.

Had it been possible to get out of the way it would have been for the best, but with no other option he did the best thing he could do.

Sportbike riders are a whole other topic, and one can just pray they have any brains at all. Some do and others are just organ donars.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:07 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I don't live in a keep right state...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaVehicleCode21654

(a) Notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits, any vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
(b) If a vehicle is being driven at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time, and is not being driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, it shall constitute prima facie evidence that the driver is operating the vehicle in violation of subdivision (a) of this section.
(c) The Department of Transportation, with respect to state highways, and local authorities, with respect to highways under their jurisdiction, may place and maintain upon highways official signs directing slow-moving traffic to use the right-hand traffic lane except when overtaking and passing another vehicle or preparing for a left turn.
hth

Old 10-20-2011, 07:26 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Uh. Yeah. In other word's, it's not a keep right state which is what I just informed you of.
Condition 1: Prima facie speed limit
Condition 2: moving less than the normal speed of traffic

It's the fast lane. As long as you're going at the rate of speed of the prevailing traffic, you're free to use it indefinitely. It's the fast fast lane.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:01 PM

24,451 posts, read 25,987,852 times
Oh. you miggta read this.

CA Codes (veh:21650-21664)

and this

California Keep Right - Slower Traffic Keep Right

Old 10-20-2011, 08:12 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,013,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Uh. Yeah. In other word's, it's not a keep right state which is what I just informed you of.
Condition 1: Prima facie speed limit
Condition 2: moving less than the normal speed of traffic

It's the fast lane. As long as you're going at the rate of speed of the prevailing traffic, you're free to use it indefinitely. It's the fast fast lane.
Yeh...sorry bud. It's not the "fast lane" or the "fast fast lane" it's a passing lane. It's not there for you to just hang out in, you use it to pass other vehicles, then you get back over out of the way. In jammed traffic, yes...you can probably fill it up, and no one is going to care...but if traffic is moving at a reasonable rate, and you're not passing anyone...get your butt over...passing on the right is dangerous, and against the rules of the road...Overseas, particularly in Germany, they'd pull you over for that.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:23 AM

152 posts, read 583,544 times
Don't tailgate and it won't be a proublem.

You need to be able to stop or avoid, it's the law.
If you can't it's not my fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
This is just as bad as the motorcyclist tailgating you. Way to be the better man.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:32 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,194,324 times
Quote:

Right, yeah, I get that, but standing on your brakes just to be a jerk isn't going to be helpful to anyone's situation either. Of course, a smart biker would just pass you at earliest convenience instead of hanging off your rear.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:32 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Quote:

Law of physics and biology = You will bleed out just the same with a piece of a motorcycle through the back of your head regardless of whether it is your fault. However you nay have the consolation of thinking "It wasn't my fault" as your last thought in life.

Although you may legally be right, of course you would still morally be wrong. You will have caused the accident by doing somthing designed to cause an accident and for no other purpose.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:36 AM

152 posts, read 583,544 times
Intent.
I intend to stop driving in a dangerous situation by stopping.
You have to prove intent.
By tailgating the cyclist is braking the law and has lost the fight already.

The last cyclist to hit me flew over my truck and landed on the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive