Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:23 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,769,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
With that compression ratio you will need to run racing gas only. Are you going to trailer this vehicle?

You don't have any information on the internal spec's of the motor?

You would be better off with a Bracket Car.... A fast street vehicle.... Start off with a Fox bodied mustang or a Z28 Camaro.
I wasnt going to Trailer it. I live exactly 3 miles from the Strip out in the country and was hoping i could just drive it there as quietly as i could down the backroads ... is this quite feasible ? Yes on the racing gas although ive been told mixing 93 octane with Toluene or with Methanol will get me the octane i need till I can fill up with Racing Gas at the Strip .

Havent had an in depth chat with the Owner yet on things like engine internal specs, but will .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
My only comment on this would be how novice is novice? I really wouldn't recommend anyone stepping into such a dedicated and poweful drag car as their first adventure into racing. If novice means I've never done any kind of serious racing, then I would highly recommend getting into something a little more sensible that can be built up as your experience grows. It seems like a heck of an initial investment into a new hobby. Weren't you contemplating a turbo 1,000+hp Cobra a little while back for the same purpose?

I think a better way to think about this isn't "I couldn't build the same thing for the same money" but that you should look at starting with a more basic car and building it as you learn and adapt it to your individual style. Once you get some seat time and experience, look to sell what you have and upgrade into something else. At least at that point you will know what you are getting into and what your needs are.

I'd HATE to be the guy in the lane next to you, the first time you run that car if the rest of your experience is tied to running an otherwise stock Mustang or Corvette down the strip.
Im pretty novice, for sure ; Ive taken my built big block 1970 Corvette , 4 speed, 540 h.p., down the track on street tires a couple times .. without traction of course but ive never been in any faster car than that . A dedicated Drag Car is certainly going to be a new experience for me and one that I will have to grow into.

As for running the Drag Car down the lane....it will obviously be a long time before I utilize its top performance --- Ill work up to that a bit at a time until i get a good feel for the car under varying power levels and launches . Ill stay away from bringing in the nitrous and just experiment with motor alone.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:35 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Im pretty novice, for sure ; Ive taken my built big block 1970 Corvette , 4 speed, 540 h.p., down the track on street tires a couple times .. without traction of course but ive never been in any faster car than that . A dedicated Drag Car is certainly going to be a new experience for me and one that I will have to grow into.

As for running the Drag Car down the lane....it will obviously be a long time before I utilize its top performance --- Ill work up to that a bit at a time until i get a good feel for the car under varying power levels and launches . Ill stay away from bringing in the nitrous and just experiment with motor alone.
Sounds good and a next good step for you then. I wasn't sure exactly what you meant by "novice". I would still personally lean towards and recommend your own project that you can learn and grow with, but this could turn out to be a great deal. You just really need to do your homework.

Why is the owner selling?

Old 10-25-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Sounds good and a next good step for you then. I wasn't sure exactly what you meant by "novice". I would still personally lean towards and recommend your own project that you can learn and grow with, but this could turn out to be a great deal. You just really need to do your homework.

Why is the owner selling?
Too many Race cars.

I just dont want to end up with Car i have to dump many thousands into right away. I understand I should expect to put some money into it . Im starting to get the impression the Hobby is not a cheap one.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Too many Race cars.

I just dont want to end up with Car i have to dump many thousands into right away. I understand I should expect to put some money into it . Im starting to get the impression the Hobby is not a cheap one.
Not at all, lol. Even running a street car can get expensive real quick. The biggest problem you will have is that chances are people selling an old race car like that are only doing it because the car is tired and in need of work. As others referenced earlier in the thread, the motor may be to the point it is going to be a rebuild and that's not a cheap endeavor. There could also be structural issues with the car that need addressing, etc.

Buying a used drag car is something most recommend to avoid as much as possible unless you are really familiar with the owner and the cars history. In a lot of cases you might be better off building something on your own versus inheriting someone elses problems.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:02 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
I wasnt going to Trailer it. I live exactly 3 miles from the Strip out in the country and was hoping i could just drive it there as quietly as i could down the backroads ... is this quite feasible ? Yes on the racing gas although ive been told mixing 93 octane with Toluene or with Methanol will get me the octane i need till I can fill up with Racing Gas at the Strip .

Havent had an in depth chat with the Owner yet on things like engine internal specs, but will .
I don't think driving it on the road will be feasible.

Also,just get a couple of containers and fill them up with racing fuel.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:06 AM

I think after reading the last two posts, im going to rethink this whole thing about getting into Drag Racing. Maybe i should just stick to racing my friends tubo Civic on the Interstate occasionally with my big block Corvette for a thrill. He keeps saying that he will catch up to me once he hits 3rd gear, but hes got no idea what a torque monster my car is from off the line thru 5000 rpms .

Thanks to all. Im going to do some heavy re-considering.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I think after reading the last two posts, im going to rethink this whole thing about getting into Drag Racing. Maybe i should just stick to racing my friends tubo Civic on the Interstate occasionally with my big block Corvette for a thrill. He keeps saying that he will catch up to me once he hits 3rd gear, but hes got no idea what a torque monster my car is from off the line thru 5000 rpms .

Thanks to all. Im going to do some heavy re-considering.
Please don't take my statements as trying to encourage you NOT to get into drag racing. They were more about not buying someone elses worn out toy (cue old analogy about marrying a prostitute) and going into the whole thing with eyes wide open.

If you really want to do it, the best way to get started is with your own car and ease your way into it. This way you avoid making a huge investment upfront and can learn and adapt the car as you go.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:24 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Maybe i should just stick to racing my friends tubo Civic on the Interstate occasionally with my big block Corvette for a thrill.
At least let us know when and where so we can stay the hell away from you.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Please don't take my statements as trying to encourage you NOT to get into drag racing. They were more about not buying someone elses worn out toy (cue old analogy about marrying a prostitute) and going into the whole thing with eyes wide open.

If you really want to do it, the best way to get started is with your own car and ease your way into it. This way you avoid making a huge investment upfront and can learn and adapt the car as you go.
I can see how knowing the car is of utmost importance. Getting people to be honest with you these days is a major undertaking when they are wanting to sell you something especially anything mechanical of big ticket value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive