Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 12:14 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times

Advertisements

I knew of people who drag raced by putting in an old engine,doing just a litttle mods and running it until it blew up...LOL.

You don't have to go all out straight off the bat.

But a trailer will set you back maybe $1000,you just want an open car trailer.
The car you are looking at is pretty well set up even if the engine needs a rebuild.
All the little stuff eats you alive in almost any hobby or endeavor,people only look at the big items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 01:57 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
I agree with the idea that this is not the best car for anyone with limited experience. However, assuming it is what it is, that is a lot of car for $5K. But, going in, you would need to realize that *if* this is a bargain, that's the last bargain you will see for a long time.

Certainly for the first several runs, and maybe for the first couple of seasons, I would suggest disconnecting the nitrous - it's well capable of getting you in over your head without it.

As several people have stated, drag racing is an expensive hobby. If you are not set up to rebuild the engine yourself, it will get seriously expensive.

People do sell good high performance cars, for various reasons. Not all are ticking time bombs. But, to be realistic, quite a few of them are.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:54 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,872,464 times
Forget drag racing. Buy or build yourself an oval track car.

Asphalt or dirt, guaranteed the most fun you can have racing.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:10 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,779,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
I think after reading the last two posts, im going to rethink this whole thing about getting into Drag Racing. Maybe i should just stick to racing my friends tubo Civic on the Interstate occasionally with my big block Corvette for a thrill. He keeps saying that he will catch up to me once he hits 3rd gear, but hes got no idea what a torque monster my car is from off the line thru 5000 rpms .
So you're now considering doing a really stupid thing....?????

Seriously, street racing is bad...bad...bad.

If you want to race, go to the track.

I think you mis understood what people are trying to tell you here.

No one is telling you, that you "should not" buy that Vega, they are trying to tell you that it may or may not be what you think it is.

And they are right....to an extent. The seller might have ran into hard times and decided to get out of racing. or he might know his cobbled up car might be getting ready to fall apart and is hoping to unload it on the next guy.

That's why it's been posted, that you need to know what you're looking at, when you're looking at it.

Like Pamela Anderson...she might look hot but she's between around the block a few times and she has hepatitis.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:20 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Forget drag racing. Buy or build yourself an oval track car.

Asphalt or dirt, guaranteed the most fun you can have racing.
You know, I have always thought driving a go-cart on a road course would be a lot of fun, the risks could be intellegently managed, and should not break the bank to keep one running.

I think you have a point though - it seems to me that in terms of how much it costs and how little seat time you get, drag racing does not seem like the best venue. That and a really good drag car, even if you try to do a "street/strip" setup (and this Vega is probably beyond that) they don't make good street cars, they accellerate very well, brake well, but frequently don't turn well at all...

And they tend to break a lot of parts.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:51 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
As someone who enjoys watching drag racing but really enjoys open tracking road courses I can tell you there is a lot more fun open tracking for two hrs of track time a day rather than 10 10 second runs a day at the drag strip.

The OP already has a Vette and all he needs is some track driving instruction and he is ready to go. If he puts a few bucks into track brakes and tires he will have more fun then he can imagine.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:00 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,872,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You know, I have always thought driving a go-cart on a road course would be a lot of fun, the risks could be intellegently managed, and should not break the bank to keep one running.

I think you have a point though - it seems to me that in terms of how much it costs and how little seat time you get, drag racing does not seem like the best venue. That and a really good drag car, even if you try to do a "street/strip" setup (and this Vega is probably beyond that) they don't make good street cars, they accellerate very well, brake well, but frequently don't turn well at all...

And they tend to break a lot of parts.
There you have it.

It can be anything from a mini stock to a late model.

If you're in the top 6 fastest, you run a 6 lap Trophy Dash. Then comes a 10-15 lap heat race with (depending on the car count) 20 other cars. Then the feature which can be 35 cars or more and is usually 25-40 laps.

Including hot laps to adjust the car and racing, track time may total up to 1 hour or more per race night. Beats a half dozen ¼ mile passes then loading up.

To the OP: If you think street racing is fun, hit the oval track with 20 other cars. Doesn't matter whether you're in a fwd mini-stock or a 600hp late model, you'll either crap your pants or have the biggest grin on your face you've ever had. And no matter what you're driving, you'll think you're Dale Earnhardt when you climb out of the car.

Last edited by Gimme3steps; 10-27-2011 at 11:52 AM..

Old 10-27-2011, 11:00 AM

859 posts, read 2,828,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
I think after reading the last two posts, im going to rethink this whole thing about getting into Drag Racing. Maybe i should just stick to racing my friends tubo Civic on the Interstate occasionally with my big block Corvette for a thrill. He keeps saying that he will catch up to me once he hits 3rd gear, but hes got no idea what a torque monster my car is from off the line thru 5000 rpms .

Thanks to all. Im going to do some heavy re-considering.

I wouldn't give up. If you look at this car and it's in good shape it can be a good deal. Racing doesn't have to be expensive. Yes you will need to drop a few hundred here and there but you don't need to go top shelf right off the bat.

A cheap engine rebuild kit is under $1000 and you can have someone do the trans for you for about the same. What will cost you a little money upfront is tools if you don't already have them. The key to racing without breaking the bank is doing the work yourself so plan some cash for books, videos, tools and the ever important beer for your friends that come over to help.

Whatever you do.. Don't race on the streets or highways. I know this is hypocritical as I use to do it but I learned it that racing has it's place. You will spend a lot more than the $6K we're talking about here if you get caught.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:29 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Y'all do have a point,drag racing is a lot of time doing other stuff and very little time actually racing.

Something else to consider,motorcycle racing,can be got into CHEAP,it is about as exciting as you can get,and it is CHEAP....

Old 10-27-2011, 12:55 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
So you're now considering doing a really stupid thing....?????

Seriously, street racing is bad...bad...bad.

If you want to race, go to the track.

I think you mis understood what people are trying to tell you here.

No one is telling you, that you "should not" buy that Vega, they are trying to tell you that it may or may not be what you think it is.

And they are right....to an extent. The seller might have ran into hard times and decided to get out of racing. or he might know his cobbled up car might be getting ready to fall apart and is hoping to unload it on the next guy.

That's why it's been posted, that you need to know what you're looking at, when you're looking at it.

Like Pamela Anderson...she might look hot but she's between around the block a few times and she has hepatitis.
Does she really have Hepatitus ?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive