Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Yes 81 64.29%
No 45 35.71%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 07:12 PM

568 posts, read 2,418,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Ya'll don't understand that when a cop 'asks' to search your car you 'just say no' and then it's over???
No. It wouldn't be over. I have nothing to hide, so he can have at it. I'd rather be embarrassed and inconvenienced while he searches rather than being tossed in the back seat of his car while we wait for drug dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 07:22 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,518,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
It hasn't happened to me but I keep hearing from people (both friends and bloggers) who have been pulled over for no apparent reason.. then the cop can't find anything wrong with the driver and lets him off with no ticket. The only common aspect between all of these instances is that the driver was driving an old but fully working car in a relatively affluent area although this isn't necessarily the case in every single incident.
In my case, I think they were looking for a stolen vehicle. The cop made a point to take down my VIN and he was careful to check the back seat. His excuse for pulling me over is that I was doing 10 over the speed limit, which I was. I was merging into traffic that was doing 80+ and I was one of the slower vehicles on the road. I told him that if I'd been doing the speed limit, I would have been run over.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:24 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,518,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badgmc View Post
No. It wouldn't be over. I have nothing to hide, so he can have at it. I'd rather be embarrassed and inconvenienced while he searches rather than being tossed in the back seat of his car while we wait for drug dogs.
There's one problem with this. What if you don't know something is in your car? I dated a guy once who was using my car (my commute) to deliver drugs. Unbeknownst to me, he was stashing them under the hood of my car and someone was picking them up while I was at work. Nice guy. If I'd been pulled over, I'm sure the cops would have believed me when I told them it wasn't mine.

I also had a step son who was hiding drugs in our house. Again, the cops wouldn't have believed me if I said they weren't mine.

Do you realize how easily someone could stash something on your car while you're on vacation?

Old 10-26-2011, 07:45 PM

568 posts, read 2,418,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
There's one problem with this. What if you don't know something is in your car? I dated a guy once who was using my car (my commute) to deliver drugs. Unbeknownst to me, he was stashing them under the hood of my car and someone was picking them up while I was at work. Nice guy. If I'd been pulled over, I'm sure the cops would have believed me when I told them it wasn't mine.

I also had a step son who was hiding drugs in our house. Again, the cops wouldn't have believed me if I said they weren't mine.

Do you realize how easily someone could stash something on your car while you're on vacation?
There's a problem with this. I'm not the average car owner who just gets in and drives. I know every single inch of all of my cars. I don't associate with shady types and I'm the only one who ever drove this car. My vehicles are also parked in a garage. If someone is going to stash something in my car (for what reason I do not know since they wouldn't be driving it or riding in it), then you better be damn good to get it past me.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:53 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
I'd much rather be pulled over for no reason and let go than pulled over for a legitimate reason and given a ticket.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:02 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
LOL You might have gotten away with that long ago but today they will hold you until the drug sniffing dogs are finished with you.

Long ago?

I'm 29 dude!

Try this:

"Officer, I'm in a hurry, can you articulate Probable Cause or Reasonable Suspicion?"

You will quickly be on your way.

(Probably after being asked if you are a lawyer)

Old 10-27-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badgmc View Post

It's not about 'not having anything to hide'

It's about legal limits and freedoms. (And not being bothered)

I have no desire to be 'embarrassed and inconvenienced' OR 'tossed in the back seat of his car'...

So MY way... where nether happens is to be preferred IMHO.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:13 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Do you realize how easy it is to stash something in your own car and forget it's there?

When I was a freshman in college a buddy and I went out on a Saturday night with a couple of girls. When we dropped the girls off one of them handed my friend a half-full bottle of whiskey she had stashed in her duffle bag because she was afraid her parents would go through it. We weren't drinkers so my friend stuck it under the passenger seat with the plan to dispose of it on the way home.

Fast-forward a few months, I was on my way to Chicago for a concert with some other friends when we got pulled over for having a headlight out. The guy in the passenger seat was frantically struggling to put his seat belt on as the officer approached the car. The cop saw his movement and was concerned (legitimately, IMHO) that the guy might be trying to conceal a weapon, so he approached that side of the car. Lo and behold, what did he see poking out beneath the seat but the neck of that bottle of whiskey that we had forgotten to throw out!

The cop was decent enough, he gave me a ticket for illegal possession and sent me on my way. I would have preferred the seat belt ticket, though.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:28 AM

116 posts, read 314,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
It's not about 'not having anything to hide'

It's about legal limits and freedoms. (And not being bothered)
How about searches in airports? Taking off shoes? Not allowing small scissors or a bottle of soda to carry into the airplane?

Old 10-27-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyvacant View Post
How about searches in airports? Taking off shoes? Not allowing small scissors or a bottle of soda to carry into the airplane?

I love flying.

Hate flying commercial.

I'm going to Vegas for a conference in about 3 weeks.

I'm driving (Over 20 hours) for this reason. (Which you stated)

Cheaper anyway.

In time I plan on getting my own pilots license and I could get on the plane (My own or chartered) carrying a rifle and dripping with pistols (AND Evil nail-files!!!) if I wanted.

OTHER people's vehicles (Aircraft) are regulated, not your own charter or pvt plane.

Different circumstances, have no (Ok, little) issues with it.

Just like it is Greyhound's right to ban guns on THEIR PRIVATE PROPERTY.

My car... is mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive