Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:46 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,671,924 times

Advertisements

I wish they still taught just a little tiny bit of the mechanical basics in Driver's Ed.

Like:

Engine: needs oil and coolant, or it'll be $2,000-3,000 to repair. (Here's how you check; now student does it. PASS/FAIL)

Overheat or oil light: pull over IMMEDIATELY to nearest breakdown lane/shoulder, and shut off IMMEDIATELY. Call tow truck, or have $2,000-3,000 to repair it.

Tires: need air; failure to keep up pressure = danger to yourself and others. (Here's how you check; now student does it. PASS/FAIL) They also need tread or they become dangerous in poor weather, and are more likely to be punctured by road debris. (Here's how you check; now student does it. PASS/FAIL)

Brakes: need pads, which wear out with use and require regular replacement.

High-pitched screeching noise while driving and braking: brake pad's noisemaker, aka "wear indicator," is telling you your pads are almost worn out. Make plans to have your brakes serviced within next few weeks.

Loud grinding noise when brakes are applied: no pads left at all, rotors are now ruined (more $$ to fix), complete failure is imminent (even more $$ to fix). Immediately drive no more than a few miles, or better yet, have towed, to nearest mechanic.

"Battery" light: charging system failure, engine and lights (and everything else) are running on battery reserve only, car will stall within a few minutes. Turn off the radio, AC, heaters, defrosters, the headlights if it's daytime, and drive to nearest mechanic if within a mile or two, or else pull over safely, park legally if possible, and call tow a truck.

I hope this helps a few noobs. I believe everybody should know this very basic stuff about the machine before they get a license, much less own their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 08:48 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
They don't really fit my lifestyle as they don't have much cargo room without folding down the back seat
But that's the point of them, the back seats fold down a dozen ways, fold forward, and with a click, unlatch and come out. I've carried a TONE of stuff in mine, from a stand up 50 gallon compressor, to all the lumber for my rear deck, and once carried all the replacement windows for my house stacked floor to ceiling (with the hatch closed). I also carried a load of 1200lbs of bagged crushed rock for my back yard (24 50lb bags) in there with no driveability issues.

Mine:

Yes, that's a manual trans and 3 pedals in there...

Old 11-02-2011, 11:44 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post

Yes, that's a manual trans and 3 pedals in there...
If it's got a turbo I'll take it

Old 11-02-2011, 02:45 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
I wish they still taught just a little tiny bit of the mechanical basics in Driver's Ed.

Like:

Engine: needs oil and coolant, or it'll be $2,000-3,000 to repair. (Here's how you check; now student does it. PASS/FAIL)

Overheat or oil light: pull over IMMEDIATELY to nearest breakdown lane/shoulder, and shut off IMMEDIATELY. Call tow truck, or have $2,000-3,000 to repair it.

Tires: need air; failure to keep up pressure = danger to yourself and others. (Here's how you check; now student does it. PASS/FAIL) They also need tread or they become dangerous in poor weather, and are more likely to be punctured by road debris. (Here's how you check; now student does it. PASS/FAIL)

Brakes: need pads, which wear out with use and require regular replacement.

High-pitched screeching noise while driving and braking: brake pad's noisemaker, aka "wear indicator," is telling you your pads are almost worn out. Make plans to have your brakes serviced within next few weeks.

Loud grinding noise when brakes are applied: no pads left at all, rotors are now ruined (more $$ to fix), complete failure is imminent (even more $$ to fix). Immediately drive no more than a few miles, or better yet, have towed, to nearest mechanic.

"Battery" light: charging system failure, engine and lights (and everything else) are running on battery reserve only, car will stall within a few minutes. Turn off the radio, AC, heaters, defrosters, the headlights if it's daytime, and drive to nearest mechanic if within a mile or two, or else pull over safely, park legally if possible, and call tow a truck.

I hope this helps a few noobs. I believe everybody should know this very basic stuff about the machine before they get a license, much less own their own.
Actually,I have the mechanic change the oil every 3,000 miles since I run up a lot of mileage(60,000 miles a year). Some school districts,like mine when I was in high school,didn't teach drivers ed at all because it wasn't in the budget.
I do get a lot of info from the internet about car maintenence and there was a mechanic who said it isn't necessary to change the oil every 3,000 miles if its synthetic and he also said most cars could go up to 5,000 miles before changing the oil.

Not trying to make excuses but a lot of people from the Nyc area don't drive,and I noticed when we are in other parts of the country we are looked at as strange,because a large part of my family don't have drivers licenses because of the excellent rail system.so really I can't just call up a relative and ask them.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:46 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
But that's the point of them, the back seats fold down a dozen ways, fold forward, and with a click, unlatch and come out. I've carried a TONE of stuff in mine, from a stand up 50 gallon compressor, to all the lumber for my rear deck, and once carried all the replacement windows for my house stacked floor to ceiling (with the hatch closed). I also carried a load of 1200lbs of bagged crushed rock for my back yard (24 50lb bags) in there with no driveability issues.
I understand all that, they'd be handy as heck for me personally. I've sold them to florists, caterers, etc, to ues as delivery vehicles and all were fully satisfied.

The problem is that they haven't dropped to the price range I like to pay for my personal vehicle yet so I would have to look at one as our primary family car, and unfortunately there's not enough room in there for the three of us plus all the crap - I mean, essential items - we have to take every time we go out of town overnight.

By the way, when I sold them I think the thing that appealed to me the most was the cueball shifter. I had forgotten about that until I saw your pictures.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:19 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Everyone I have ever known with a PT Cruiser has had nothing but issues.

Sell it, get a 90s Honda or ?

Old 11-04-2011, 01:48 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post

Sell it, get a 90s Honda or ?
So I'm not alone.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:26 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
And everyone I've ever known with one (including the thousands in the PT owners groups) has had nothing but good things to say about them. See how easy it is to counter your statement? *I* lived with that one pictured for 5 years/70k miles and out of the hundred plus cars I've owned over 30 years, it's probably the all around best at being a car I've had. I probably should never have sold it.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:38 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
So I'm not alone.
Maybe it's like that little girl:
When good they are very, very good...
but when they are bad they are horrid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive