Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 09:10 AM

340 posts, read 1,445,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
The thing that I hate about statistics in the media is that it is poorly translated to (and poorly interpreted by) consumers. When the car industry reports 'reliability' ratings, thats a term that could mean 'consistency' (anyone familiar with research methodology??).

Anyway, that means when something is tested over and over (and over again), they are recording the number of times that it can produce the exact same result. If it produces the exact same result after the 100th time (for example) then it has 'high reliability' (high consistency). If it does not, then it has low or poor reliability (low consistency). But its so confusing when that term is applied to a vehicle- are they testing the engine, the brakes, the overall problems of a car (from something minor as a bad a/c to something terrible as the number of times the brakes will fail). If you lump those problems into one report and claim a car has poor reliability or reliability problems, it doesn't really say much.

Someone please explain....
When listening to someone say"highest customer rating" or "best drivetrain warranty" I ignore these statements.Usually I take note as to which other car manufacture they are comparing this to.When thinking about a car to buy look at long term reliability.Too many times I have purchased cars that don't even last the life of the loan.Usually I have to pay to get out of the loan(upside down)to buy something else or they just attach it onto your new purchase making that vehicle now overpriced.The warranty doesn't mean a thing if your car is constantly in the shop getting fixed and if you haven't serviced it exactly as they say with receipts-forget it.The new guys,Hyundai,Kia,Suzuki are all new at this large scale car maufacturing thing so lets wait on the judgement thing about best deal for the money.I would seriously look at Consumer Reports and just pick out a car manufacture and look at the red dots and stay away from the black ones.It will give you a picture of the companies "track record" and make sure they've run the long course and not the 100M dash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 11:33 AM

17 posts, read 155,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissSunshine View Post
So I finally decided...

I have had a 2008 Mazda 3 for two days now and I am in LOVE!

This car has EVERYTHING. Fully loaded, so fun to drive, perfect size for me. All my friends who own more high end cars like Lexus and Infiniti are shocked on how many features I have for the price.

If you're looking for good value in terms of leather, gadgets etc on a small reasonably priced car this is the way to go.
I was going to suggest a 1985 BITTER SC but I guess it's too late for that!

What, never heard of it? Maybe Google can help!

Old 11-10-2007, 08:11 PM

383 posts, read 722,947 times
ford focus, mazda protege

Old 11-10-2007, 08:20 PM

29 posts, read 119,132 times
Default Try a Ford Focus

I own one and honestly, for the money, it well worth it. I drove off the lot two years ago with a loaded Focus for $12K. That is a heck of a deal. Plus, the fuel mileage is pretty decent.

The new '08 Focus is even nicer. Ford has been manufacturing this model for a while now. They have worked most of the bugs out.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:13 AM

20 posts, read 60,693 times
Default Okay, the expert is here :-)

Okay, first let me give you my back ground... I have been in the car business for the majority of my adult life, sales, management and Finance & Insurance management, working in dealerships from ford, to gmc, to imports....I am also married to a car salesman/sales manager of over 20 years. heres the real info on differnt makes and models... I do not mean to offend anyone, but the info I am providing is factual, or personal expierence.

all the compact cars, are death traps, but if I had to pick one that is a good buy, safety and resale/trade in good, I would nominate the Toyota Corolla, the only thing about this I do not like, is they sit very un comfortably, if your a tall person or have short arms, this is not for you, but they are adorable, great gas milage, etc.

Ford Focus-not bad for a used 5000.00 car for your teenager, but as far as value, step up to the Fusion, that is the hottest car in the Ford line right now, just sold one to my aunt a few months ago with zero regrets.

Mitsubish (broken link)- Stay away, don't buy one.. heres why, rumors that Mitsu is going out of business, nothing factual and they have continued to produce new lines, however, I worked for a dealership locally a couple years ago, that carried the line as well as ford, lincoln, mercury, chrysler, jeep dodge and kia, they dumped Mitsu do to factual data about the brand, we called it the wanna be import.

Honda-honda anything you can't go wrong, however, the are priced higher

Nissan- Common mis-conception about them, they are generally referred to as an import like Honda and Toyota and assumed to have the same quality, that is not true... drive the new altima, you feel like you are driving plastic, the sentra is cute, but again, could they put more plastic in a car? the resale and trade in on them are bad..

Mazda - IS NOT AN IMPORT... most people think mazda is in the import family, however, mazda is built by ford.

Kia- used to joke around the dealership "keeping it affordable"... kia was once, well "crap" however, they have made huge strides in their vehicles, but I still wouldn't trust something with such a bad rep for so long...

Hyundai- might as well buy a kia... nothing good to say, and I did the finance for a hyundai dealership.

Suzuki- leave the crotch rockets and wave runners to them.

**** in my personal opinion, the best small vehicle out there right now is the ford fusion, most people rave about imports, but for the money you save, buy the extended warranty, and you will make out great***

Old 11-12-2007, 10:27 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Honda Civic, Mazda 3, Toyota Corolla, VW Golf are all good cars.

I've had 'em all ... LOL. I was slightly disappointed with the Corolla because of its lack of power, and with the Honda because the interior seemed cramped. Otherwise, I'd buy any one of them again.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:53 PM

20 posts, read 60,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Honda Civic, Mazda 3, Toyota Corolla, VW Golf are all good cars.

I've had 'em all ... LOL. I was slightly disappointed with the Corolla because of its lack of power, and with the Honda because the interior seemed cramped. Otherwise, I'd buy any one of them again.

I do have to agree with you on the vw, they are great cars, and talk about a peppy 4 cyl.. I did have a jetta, loved it. and what brand has been around longer than VW.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:03 PM

120 posts, read 206,319 times
Default I believe the Fusion is a midsize sedan and not a compact?

We looked at the Fusions and they were nice. However, they wanted too much for their cars. Plus, we didn't trust the posted mpg on the window stickers. They matched the mpg for the Focus.

By far, the Focus is probably the better deal of any of the small compact cars.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:07 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
the honda fit, or civic, crv? too high price now It is somewhat changed? Maybe the element-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive