U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2011, 09:33 AM

2,996 posts, read 5,419,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
I put my Lincoln on a dyno, with factory intake box going to the fender, did a couple of runs and each run the horse power dropped. On the third run we opened the hood and let the hot air out and gained about 20 horse power
This was the precise reason I modded my 2006 Corvette so fresh air can enter both sides of the engine bay via the front fascia without taking air from the radiator plenum. It made such a difference that i could keep my engine bay temperature at just 5 f. above the outside temp. at all times so long as i was going at least 25 mph (i measured it with a wireless remote thermometer from the cab) .

One mod i have made on all cars ive owned with a/c, is to seal up the sides, top and bottom of the a/c's condensor with high quality rubber type rigid pipe covering so ALL the outside air entering has to go thru the Condensor . Ive yet to see a Condensor that is fully sealed up tight from the factory... usually theres between 1-3" gap on a couple of sides . The Factory doesnt pay much attention to detail -- they are interested in mass producing at the lowest initial cost to maximize profits.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 02:09 PM

29,944 posts, read 73,261,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
but as ive already proven .
Not yet.

Frequently when people claim an increase in MPG it is imagined or simply a case of imprecise measuring, or weather. There are many products like magnets on the fuel lines, "hydrogen" systems, "tuning" chips etc, that really do nothing, but loads of people honestly believe that they have seen an increase in MPG or HP because they want to see an increase. They will claim that they have "proven" an increase based on some home remedy type measurement, or possibly just a general feeling without any real calculations. The typical method - fill up the tank, drive a while, fill again and calculate gallons into miles - is only accurate to about 5 or 10%. It gives a ballpark, not an actual mpg figure.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:55 PM

8,402 posts, read 22,596,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Not yet.

Frequently when people claim an increase in MPG it is imagined or simply a case of imprecise measuring, or weather. There are many products like magnets on the fuel lines, "hydrogen" systems, "tuning" chips etc, that really do nothing, but loads of people honestly believe that they have seen an increase in MPG or HP because they want to see an increase. They will claim that they have "proven" an increase based on some home remedy type measurement, or possibly just a general feeling without any real calculations. The typical method - fill up the tank, drive a while, fill again and calculate gallons into miles - is only accurate to about 5 or 10%. It gives a ballpark, not an actual mpg figure.

Tuning chips and/or tuners can make a difference. Yes, there is crap out there. But I picked up 2 MPG in my '93 Mark VIII when I put in a Superchip. I measured using the car's computer and via paper, using the method you show above. I did this for over a year, taking the chip in and out, etc. 2 MPG over a year. Absolutely no question about it. Picked up a little bit of zip, although there's no actual measurement to back that up. It was fun to leave 10' of rubber on the 1-2 shift, if I chose to do so.

On that note, what do you suggest as a method to check MPG besides math? Over a given period of time, how could anything be more accurate than that?

Old 11-17-2011, 09:07 AM

2,996 posts, read 5,419,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Not yet.

You can speculate if you desire, but, my driving habits are the same each week, I go to the same places each week being retired now , I travel the same roads at the same speeds , and i fill up with the same octane gas at the same gas station . Ive proved it to myself and thats all im concerned about frankly. I was just passing along a tip in case anyone else cares to give it a try based on my own personal success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive