Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 10:10 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
In my opinion NO.

ASE is great but at the same time just about anyone can pass these tests and many people can find the answers to the questions on-line.

I was in automotive repair for 35 years and I would always hire someone that had hands on experience rather than a patch on their shirt.
People who are serious about their craft will have both and that's who I'd hire. Of course it's not always easy finding the best people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 11:04 AM

113 posts, read 619,571 times
I spent 7 years in car dealerships, I have worked for Cadillac,Chrysler,Dodge,Jeep, Suzuki. I worked in the service dept, and the parts dept, and in 7 years, working for different managers not once did the question ever come up are you ASE certified, it was always whats your Dodge experience, whats your Cadillac training? I seen techs that would ask to go and further there education and would the dealer pay for there tests and they can promote they have ASE master tech and the answer was always NO! so like I said ASE is great if you want to work at a tire store, or independent shop, but at a dealership, they want factory experience. We had one guy that signed on at 18 with us and started changing oil and helping the techs by cleaning there bays and taking out trash, a year later he moved up to tire tech and alignments, and getting trained for free and going to school paid by the dealer. So at 21 he is almost ready to move into the shop as a flat rate tech with no expense to him and getting paid the whole time. Another kid want to a real expensive trade school that you see on t.v all the time, at 22, he is changing oil and starting fresh. Maybe if he went the independent route he would be hire up.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:05 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicare View Post
I spent 7 years in car dealerships, I have worked for Cadillac,Chrysler,Dodge,Jeep, Suzuki. I worked in the service dept, and the parts dept, and in 7 years, working for different managers not once did the question ever come up are you ASE certified, it was always whats your Dodge experience, whats your Cadillac training? I seen techs that would ask to go and further there education and would the dealer pay for there tests and they can promote they have ASE master tech and the answer was always NO! so like I said ASE is great if you want to work at a tire store, or independent shop, but at a dealership, they want factory experience. We had one guy that signed on at 18 with us and started changing oil and helping the techs by cleaning there bays and taking out trash, a year later he moved up to tire tech and alignments, and getting trained for free and going to school paid by the dealer. So at 21 he is almost ready to move into the shop as a flat rate tech with no expense to him and getting paid the whole time. Another kid want to a real expensive trade school that you see on t.v all the time, at 22, he is changing oil and starting fresh. Maybe if he went the independent route he would be hire up.
Of course they'd rather hire someone with same-brand experience. It's good business. They know the common failures and have worked on the same cars multiple times.

I love how "experienced" techs always lambaste techs who went the school route and/or got certifications. That's the real problem with the field is there's no seriousness with education and training. It's pretty much, learn as you go. That's why there's little trust by the general public.

I'd prefer technicians that can diagnose a problem correctly the first time and fix it right the first time and not overcharge customers for their learning mistakes.

Of course ASE isn't the end all solution. In fact it's actually quite silly with most tests being 60-70% passes. But it's a start.

Also people who decide to go to school, not just Lincoln Tech or UTI but possibly a community college get education in other things such as writing, communication, which helps in the longer term. To be honest, though I'm still in Automotive, I'm glad I got out of being in the shop. Though I'm only in my 20s, I'd hate to have brittle hands and a hurt back by the time I'm 40, and have to wash my hands 18 times before I touch my child (future child).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive