U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 06:19 AM

215 posts, read 500,841 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Will be moving to Asheville, NC from England in February. Need to buy a car to seat - driver + 2 adults and 3 children, and a dog, and baby stroller/pushchair!
As we are moving from England we will have no USA insurance history so lower insurance car would be beneficial. We may also struggle to get credit as we have to start from scratch building new credit ratings!!
So, our budget for cash will be under $10,000. Want something with good safety tests, reliable, decent on mountain roads.....
Does such a car exist in our price range??
Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 06:20 AM

4,486 posts, read 15,842,243 times
Car? No.

SUV? Yes. I'd probably take a look at used Trailblazers, Expeditions, and Suburbans.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:24 AM

Thanks!
What would reasonable mileage be for one under $10,000? In England mileage over 100k is considered high, unless perhaps it is a diesel engine! 10,000-15,000 miles/year is considered average here!

Old 11-14-2011, 08:02 AM

10,916 posts, read 27,693,141 times
Minivans tend to have much lower insurance and operating costs, but most are FWD wuth traction control. I would look toward a pre-owned Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna. Higher trim Siennas do have an AWD option, but $10k might not find a good example. Subarus also do well in the mountains, but only the Tribeca has enough seats. A minivan, however, does offer more utility with sliding doors and easier access for chidren with a lower entry door.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-14-2011, 08:23 AM

20,871 posts, read 19,481,684 times
SUV's will have higher insurance than minivans so I would look at those.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:43 AM

10,960 posts, read 11,118,915 times
You might be able to find a decent late 90's Suburban or Marquis in that price range. Those long uphill mountain grades will tax your cooling system. I think with a full load of passengers a V6 or larger would be recommended. I think for that part of the country snow may not be that big of a concern. You might also look into one of the used Chevy AWD express Vans 1500. I've seen some cool ones with a bench seat and four captian's seats. But that is if you anticipate that you will alway have a car load every time.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:58 AM

274 posts, read 690,301 times
A minivan seems like the best fit based on what you describe. There are large SUVs with that kind of seating capacity as well, but minivans tend to be cheaper to insure and typically would have better gas mileage than a large SUV. Unless you plan to go offroading in the mountains, a standard front wheel drive minivan should be sufficient and AWD / 4x4 should not be needed in North Carolina.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:19 AM

This is all really useful as I have no idea about US vehicles! I will start looking at what is available based on your suggestions. I guess we will need to hire a rental vehicle for a month to allow time to find one to buy.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:56 AM

1,742 posts, read 5,265,525 times
For a car, I'd look at a GM b body(91-96, Fleetwood Brougham, Roadmaster, Caprice, Impala, Custom Cruiser) or Ford Panther(90-current, Grand Marquis, Town Car, Crown Victoria).

Old 11-14-2011, 11:02 AM

13,719 posts, read 26,880,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
You might be able to find a decent late 90's Suburban or Marquis in that price range. Those long uphill mountain grades will tax your cooling system. I think with a full load of passengers a V6 or larger would be recommended. I think for that part of the country snow may not be that big of a concern. You might also look into one of the used Chevy AWD express Vans 1500. I've seen some cool ones with a bench seat and four captian's seats. But that is if you anticipate that you will alway have a car load every time.
Most full size vans have poor safety ratings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive