Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 01:18 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times

Advertisements

For fun, let's just assume a completely blank sheet of paper, and we still have to be realistic. No nuclear engines, no martini shakers in the dash. But what would you do to make a better car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 03:31 PM

8,551 posts, read 10,973,619 times
Boy, this is an easy one.
The "new" car I would design would have automatic transmission, power steering, and power brakes, and that's it.
No stereo, no ipod, no phone hook-ups, no gps.
Nothing that could distract the duty at hand, which should be driving the vehicle, and keeping one's eyes on the road.
Bob.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:50 PM

780 posts, read 2,924,920 times
Refer to Ariel Atom 500.

/thread close

Old 11-18-2011, 08:38 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
i would keep it simple, and use lightweight yet strong materials such as aluminum and carbon fiber for structural components.

for a power plant i would use a direct injected turbocharged four cylinder engine very much like the old 2.3l ford pinto engine.

for a transmission i would go with either a 5spd manual or 5spd automatic trans with a manual/automatic shifter.

independent suspension and four wheel disc brakes, and perhaps all wheel drive. and while i would install traction control and anti lock brakes, i would also make it easy to either turn them off completely as well as let the driver use them in varying degrees.

since i like my music while i drive, i would install a good stereo system, including sat nav.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:49 AM

538 posts, read 1,521,784 times
Pointed front end for less air resitance, but otherwise a perfect box past the windshield to maximize legroom for all people and most efficient use of space.

Lots of power to "get going", but speeds limited to 60mph, period. No gas engines. Solar-panneled roofs.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:27 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Routine replacement parts like fuel filter and headlight bulbs and battery out where you can get at them, without having to pay several hours shop labor to have somebody remove other parts to reach them. Glove compartments big enough to hold both gloves.

The above would probably be encompassed within the category of "less emphasis on styling and more on functionality".

Old 11-18-2011, 05:32 PM

24,462 posts, read 25,995,249 times
^^ Agree

Old 11-18-2011, 06:16 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
The first redesign would be a headless engine like the Dr Paul engine. These engines are extremely light and small but produce several times the power of the current engines that yield a maximum of about 30% fuel efficiency. The headless designs are from 60% for the German designs to 80% efficiency for the Dr Paul engine. Most of these headless engines are a zero emissions engine with an aftercooler. Hook it up to a generator and have a diesel electric car. No need for a heavy transmission or drivetrain. A motor on each wheel computer controlled makes for a very stable handling car in emergency maneuvers, snow, ice, mud, and the rain. Fuel mileages would be about double the best gas engines averagely seen today so we can stop with the dangerous econobox size cars. A midsize car would allow more safety devices to be built into the car which would include a safety drivers seat very similar to the seat requirements of NASCAR that would be adjustable to ever possible driver. More side impact protection, side air bags, and a drop away engine complete with computer deactivation switch in case of an accident. This would eliminate any responders from getting electrocuted. Rear impact zones built into the car like the front end receives. Lower the limits of damage received in a 25mph crash.
Sounds like a dream? The technology is already there only.....you can't have it.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
a nation of prius cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive