Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 04:11 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,798,777 times

Advertisements

I had a 2006 caravan. It was well maintained. Up to 75,000 I just had minor issues. Then the power door lock went, 77k. The oxygen sensor went 2k out of warranty, 82k. The computer went 88k. The steering rack went 92k. Then check engine started again 97k.

Traded it in on a new Hyundai.

I loved the Caravan but I know many people who start chasing the problems after 75 to 80k. The rack was very expensive and it is a common problem around 100k. The electrical stuff is the unknown money pit. After sensors, computer, gas cap, etc., and diagnostic charges the third time was the last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 04:33 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,741,778 times
Thanks, everyone.

I am also considering the possibility of a "minivan alternative". Like maybe a small SUV. We don't really NEED to carry 7 people, but I have found that with cars that seat six, for any kind of long driving, then it gets too crowded since we have 2 teen boys who are pretty much adult size. So while a minivan is my first choice, if I can find something else that will comfortably seat five and have good cargo space we'd consider that as well. Which really makes all the options a bit overwhelming!

Old 11-19-2011, 04:46 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,904,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
A service tech I know has almost 300k on his Saturn Vue... he really likes it, no problems and doesn't have any idea where he will be when it comes time to replace.
Some Vues had Honda V6s in them. They were supposedly quite durable as far as I know, but if you're ever looking at a Vue, AVOID THE CVT at all costs. The repair will cost more than the truck. I had transmission work done on my Aura (already; it's the problem NHTSA's looking at, and ours also rolled back and almost ran someone over) and the man at the trans shop was telling me about the GM CVT and how it is supposedly nearly impossible to find (and if you do, it's $6K) and I think he said something about it not being rebuildable, too.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:59 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,392,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabride View Post
Thanks for this info. I did a search for Siennas under $4000 and only found a few, all were 1998 and priced around $3700 so they definitely seem to be the highest priced relative to age when it comes to the three (Odyssey, GCaravan, Sienna) but worth it...?
Siennas can be difficult to find on the used market, since many people tend to keep them, hence the higher prices. With that price range in mind, I would err to the Sienna over the Odyssey because of the transmission issues. Both of the Japanese vans will tend to be higher priced than the Caravan/Town & Country.

If you want a van alternative, with some cargo room, I would look into a Honda CR-V or a Toyota RAV4. Since they are Honda and Toyota, you will find a price premium when looking at various years of them, relative to car-based crossover competition. A good example of a Mitsubishi Outlander, that doesn't have the same price premium as a Highlander/Pilot would tend to be a bit more expensive than $4k, but the Outlanders are reliable, relatively spacious, etc. Mitsubishi does tend not to have the same price premium attached on the used market as Honda/Toyota.

One thing to watch on all of these purchases, however, is the timing belt, if the vehicle is so equipped. Some Toyotas have timing chains, that require some maintenance, but not as frequent changes as a Honda with a timing belt that needs to be changed at specific intervals. If you have no record of a timing belt change in a Honda, negotiate the price, since that's something that you would want to have completed immediately, unless the price takes into account the lack of timing belt service, of course, but I would still try to negotiate it down a bit. Hondas have interference engines and if the belt breaks, it can cause extensive damage to the engine, such that it could be less expensive to put a used engine in the vehicle.

The cost to change a timing belt can vary widely, depending upon services performed, and location. Generally, an independent mechanic will offer the best price, and as long as they are recommended/known in the community for good work on that particular brand of vehicle, you should have no problem with an independent over a dealership. In fact, the majority of recommended independent mechanics exceed the dealership in terms of service and price, at least in my own experience. The normal service for a timing belt is a belt replacement, tensioner replacement, and usually a water pump is replaced at the same time. Due to the labor-intensive nature of this work, it can run a few hundred to over a thousand dollars. I would call a couple of good, independent mechanics and ask them if they could give you a ballpark estimate of a timing belt service on a particular car that you are considering. I am sure your previous Previa mechanic would be good in that regard, and then you would have a price from which you could negotiate the lack of timing belt service recorded when you find a car that you like that has a timing belt that needs to be changed. It would also be a good idea to have your mechanic give the car a check up before purchase as well.

Full retail or private party price would include mechanical reconditioning of the vehicle, something that few on Craigslist tend to take into account when pricing their cars, relative to local competition. A $6k CR-V on a dealer's lot has the dealer profit built in, and at a reputable dealership, will have the costs to recondition the car, including timing belt change, if required, brakes, etc. So, someone on CL may try to ask the same price, but their car is in average used condition, and may only be worth $4k-$4500 because of the lack of service to bring the car back to spec. I would tend to expand my search price to a little above your range, when dealing with a private party, for this very reason, and then apply negotiation skills to get closer to the price point you would like around $4k. However, you would need to address a timing belt issue sooner, rather than later, with the purchase, so I would also look into that as well when determining the total price paid for the vehicle. It's likely you could get a short time out of a timing belt without issue, provided your mechanic inspects it and gives it an all-clear, but you would be better served replacing it as soon as practical because you would not want a broken belt. This, of course, applies when not knowing the condition of the belt and when it was last changed. If you have both of those, you could see what price you could negotiate on the vehicle, and then factor the remaining life of the belt into consideration, which would be done at a reputable dealership as well, because the interval for replacement may not have been reached.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-19-2011, 11:24 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
Some Vues had Honda V6s in them. They were supposedly quite durable as far as I know, but if you're ever looking at a Vue, AVOID THE CVT at all costs. The repair will cost more than the truck. I had transmission work done on my Aura (already; it's the problem NHTSA's looking at, and ours also rolled back and almost ran someone over) and the man at the trans shop was telling me about the GM CVT and how it is supposedly nearly impossible to find (and if you do, it's $6K) and I think he said something about it not being rebuildable, too.
His does have the Honda V6... it was something I didn't realize till he told me a few weeks ago...

Looks like GM is or was very diversified... at various times, GM has used Toyota, Honda, Suzuki, and Isuzu power trains...

Old 11-19-2011, 11:24 AM

bmwguydc thanks for that wonderfully informative post... I can't rep you again or I would!

Old 11-19-2011, 11:26 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,079,075 times
Quote:
bmwguydc thanks for that wonderfully informative post... I can't rep you again or I would!
I gave him a rep point on your behalf. That was an excellent post!

Old 11-19-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
His does have the Honda V6... it was something I didn't realize till he told me a few weeks ago...

Looks like GM is or was very diversified... at various times, GM has used Toyota, Honda, Suzuki, and Isuzu power trains...
Yes! That's why we bought a Geo Prizm, for $600 over 2 years ago, which was about 1/3 to 1/4 the price of a Corolla! It's been great basic transpo. A little ugly from a fender bender but up until last month, no problems.. and at that price, averaging $300 a year, who cares!

Old 11-19-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I gave him a rep point on your behalf. That was an excellent post!
ITA, I am going to save it in a Word file for reference when I am car shopping soon!

Old 11-19-2011, 04:48 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,804,859 times
Quote:
Thanks! Do you know at what point (year) the stow & go seating became standard? Does your 2005 have the stow & go for just the third seat, or does it also have it for the 2nd? This seems like it would be very handy. One thing I LOVED about my Previas was that the rear seat folded up to the sides of the van and out of the way, very nice for when I was "garage sale-ing" and decided impulsively to buy something large!
Stow and Go began being offered in March 2004 on 2005 models. My van was built in March 2004, so it is among the first of the 2005 models. Stow and Go is both the two middle seats, and also the rear bench, which you can fold part or all of it into the floor. I absolutely love that feature! It is one of the best ideas ever! You can fold them all down or only some of them. When they're up, the area they fold into becomes a storage space under the floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive