Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 11:05 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times

Advertisements

Advanced Technology May Prevent Drunk Drivers From Ever Starting Their Cars - Gasbuddy Gas Prices

What do you guys think of this sort of technology? Pros & cons?

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-18-2011 at 01:22 AM.. Reason: Moved to the Automobile Forum from the SA Forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 11:45 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
You even mentioned revenue generation in the comments section of that article. Amazing! LOL.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:21 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,927,861 times
In principle, it's a good thing.

Although I disagree, I can understand people's concerns about speed cameras, and noise meters, I fail to see how drunk or drug driving can ever be a good thing, or a constitutional right. (Or running a stoplight!)

It's stupid and dangerous.

I seem to remember they trialled this scheme somewhere, but they found there were ways around it. Sober people could start the car for them, things like that.

As a sideline, Volkswagen are now fitting a system to their cars which can tell if the driver is falling asleep at the wheel. If you are, it'll pull the car over. I;m not totally familiar with how it works, but if these technologies can come together in some way, then it can't be a bad thing.

Last edited by bobman; 11-18-2011 at 04:38 AM..

Old 11-18-2011, 04:28 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times
No thanks, just another unwanted item in a car since I don't drink and drive. With our luck, some politician will get convinced that it should be mandatory and at some point it'll be required.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:39 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
coming from WI where it was more common then one would think to see people on the news with multiple dui's and accidents ( some deadly), anything that keeps those idiots off the road is a positive. Unfortunately no technology in a new car wil help it they drive used.... and usually mandating changes seems to affect thsoe who dont need it more then those who do.
And as we'll never stop the drunk driver, perhaps just as cars get safer overall the deaths caused by them may drop. Almost a sad thing to hope for, that we wait for safer cars or their technology to save our lives from others...

sorry, i'm off the soapbox now

Old 11-18-2011, 04:41 AM

You might not, but how would you feel if a drunk was to barrel into your car and wipe out your family ?

Especially since a piece of technology could have prevented it.

I have no objections to it, so long as the Government, carmaker, or insurance foot the bill.

Perhaps it's somehting which should be mandatory for anyone who has already been caught DUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
No thanks, just another unwanted item in a car since I don't drink and drive. With our luck, some politician will get convinced that it should be mandatory and at some point it'll be required.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
Perhaps it's somehting which should be mandatory for anyone who has already been caught DUI
that's a good thought, but i've seen so many times where they had their cars taken away, licenses taken away... and still manage to get a car and hit the road when they shouldn't. It's like taken a gun away from a criminal; if they want to get another they will. And i dont know how to stop that, short of planting their arse in a small cell for a long time. I'm just tired of seeing innocent people dying on the roads due to others.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:05 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Won't work. When they install the breath test, some drunks get their kids to blow into the tube. One guy used his air compressor to blow into the tube. How hard would it be for these drunks to get their kid or friend to put their finger on the spot to start the car. Louisiana has some of the most drunk drivers in the country. Don't believe me? Then tell me how many other states have drive through daiquiri huts and is perfectly legal.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:19 AM

Agreed, there was a case near me recently.

Guy lost a leg in a motorcycle crash when he was drunk.
Has been caught for DUI at least 2 other times since,
Serving a lifetime driving ban.

He borrowed his mother's car and spent all afternoon drinking in the pub. On his way home, he stopped at a shop. When he got back into the car, he hit the gas instead of the brake and the car shot forward and killed a little girl, crushing her against the wall.
Her friend was very lucky and managed to just dive out of the way.

He got 8 years, but was out after 3.
Personally, his mother should have had the book thrown at her for being stupid enough to give him the damn car !

He lives in a neighbouring town now, and there are rumours around our place that he's been seen driving again.

We need to find another way to stop these a**holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
that's a good thought, but i've seen so many times where they had their cars taken away, licenses taken away... and still manage to get a car and hit the road when they shouldn't. It's like taken a gun away from a criminal; if they want to get another they will. And i dont know how to stop that, short of planting their arse in a small cell for a long time. I'm just tired of seeing innocent people dying on the roads due to others.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Won't work. When they install the breath test, some drunks get their kids to blow into the tube. One guy used his air compressor to blow into the tube. How hard would it be for these drunks to get their kid or friend to put their finger on the spot to start the car. Louisiana has some of the most drunk drivers in the country. Don't believe me? Then tell me how many other states have drive through daiquiri huts and is perfectly legal.
it's like coming from WI, where up there it's a tavern on every corner and a church somewhere in the area. Exact opposite in SC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive